Welcome to your #1 Fake Diploma, Transcript and Certificate Source. 17 years in business, Fast Quality Products, Honest Live Support. 

Article - Colleges in Tennessee that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
American Temperance University    Harriman    Tennessee    1893    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Andrew College    Trenton    Tennessee    
    
    
    property purchased in 1875 for use as public school    
Andrew Jackson Business College    
    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    
Austin Peay State College    Clarksville    Tennessee    1927    
    state supported    founded as two-year junior college and teacher training institution on grounds of the former Southwestern Presbyterian University; authorized to offer baccalaureate degrees after 1939; name changed to Austin Peay State College in 1943 and to Austin Peay State University in 1967    http://www.apsu.edu/General/history.aspx
Athens Female College    Athens    Tennessee    1857    
    Methodist Episcopal Church South    in 1866 became East Tennessee Wesleyan College; in 1886 became Grant Memorial University and in 1906, U.S. Grant University in 1889, the Athens School of the University of Chattanooga; became independent of University of Chattanooga in 1925 as Tennessee Wesleyan College    www.twcnet.edu/Academics/history.html
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Baptist Female College    Dancyville    Tennessee    1855    
    
    
    http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~haywood/history.htm
Bellevue Female College    Collierville    Tennessee    1899    
    
    Cummins uses 1899 for founding, though may've operated as early as 1870; in 1905 consolidated with Collierville Male Academy as Collierville High School    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.scs.k12.tn.us/SCS/high/Collierville/info/history.htm
Belmont Junior College    Nashville    Tennessee    1890    1913    
    merged with Ward Seminary to become Ward-Belmont    http://www.belmont.edu/hr/look.html
Bethel College    McLemoresville    Tennessee    1842    
    Cumberland Presbyterian    founded by the West Tennessee Synod of the Cumberland Presbyterian
Church; granted a charter by the State of Tennessee in 1847; moved to McKenzie, TN in 1872; name change to Bethel University, August 2009    http://www.bethelu.edu/
Bledsoe College    
    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.segenealogy.com/tennessee/tn_county/ble.htm
Blount College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1794    
    
    grant of public lands received from state in 1807 and name changed to East Tennessee College; closed in 1809 for a decade, reopening in 1820    http://web.utk.edu/~mklein/brfhist.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Bluff Springs Academy    Gibson County    Tennessee    
    
    
    may've granted bachelors degrees; John E. Wright, attended and graduated in 1858, his father, Levi Wright, served as Supt. of Schools in the county; the elder Wright was a founder of Wake Forest College in North Carolina    http://www.rootsweb.com/~tndyer/family/diploma.html
Goodspeeds History of Tennessee, 1887
Bolton College & Agricultural High School    Brunswick    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatB.htm
Boscobel College    Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    
Botanico-Medical College    Memphis    Tennessee    1846    1861    
    name changed in 1859 to Eclectic Medical Institute of Memphis    Haller, John. Kindly Medicine: Physio-Medicalism in America 1836-1911. 1997.
Branell College    Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.ed-oha.org/cases/1994-210-sa.html
Bristol University    Bristol    Tennessee    1895    1994    
    
    
Brownsville Baptist Female College    Brownsville    Tennessee    1851    
    Baptist    chartered as West Tennessee Baptist Female College    http://www.mtsu.edu/~library/wtn/colleges/brownsville.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Bryson College    Fayetteville    Tennessee    1919    1929    Associated Reformed Presbyterian    
    www.erskine.edu/news/sandlapper.6.8.01.html
Buford College    Nashville    Tennessee    1905    c. 1920    
    women's college in Glendale section    www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/6038/Buford_College.html
Burritt College    Spencer    Tennessee    1848    1938    Churches of Christ (Disciples)    led by William David Carnes until 1857; suspended operations for a time beginning in 1860; Carnes served again as president from 1872-1878    www.state.tn.us/sos/statelib/pubus/bibvanbu.htm
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987
www.therestorationmovement.com/carnes,wd.htm
Caledonia College    Caledonia    Tennessee    
    
    
    Edwin H. Randle, founding president; closed and burned during the Civil War; considered predecessor for McKenzie College    
Carson College    Jefferson City    Tennessee    1880    
    
    successor of Mossy Creek Baptist College that was founded as Mossy Creek Baptist Seminary in 1851; name changed to Carson College in 1880; merged with Newman College for Women in 1889 to become Carson-Newman College    http://www.cn.edu/site/NS_subsites/TheCollege/cnh_History.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Centenary College    Cleveland    Tennessee    
    
    
    property purchased by Bob Jones in 1933 and relocated a school from Saint Andrews Bay, FL (founded in 1926); in 1947 moved to Greenville, SC to become Bob Jones University     http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Ringenberg, William C.  The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America. 1984.
Central Tennessee College    Nashville    Tennessee    1867    1900    Freedmen's Aid Society of Methodist Episcopal Church    founded as school for freedmen; Meharry Medical deparment opened in 1875, a law department in 1879, and dental and pharmaceutical departments were opened in 1880; name changed to Walden University    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/haley/menu.html
Ringenberg, William C.  The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America. 1984.
Central University    Nashville    Tennessee    1872    
    Methodist Episcopal Church, South    adopted name of Vanderbilt University in 1873;Cornelius Vanderbilt and his wife contributed $1 million and other family members contributed another $10 million by 1895; nonsectarian after 1914    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Ringenberg, William C.  The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America. 1984.
Chattanooga State Technical Community College    Chattanooga    Tennessee    1965    
    state supported    founded as Chattanooga State Technical Institute; name change to Chattanooga State Technical Community College in 1973; name change to Chattanooga State Community College in 2009    http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/about/abhis.asp
Chattanooga University    Chattanooga    Tennessee    1886    
    Methodist Episcopal    became Grant University in 1889, University of Chattanooga in 1907, independent of church in 1909, merged with University of Tennessee and Chattanooga City College in 1969, now the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Clarksville Female Academy    Clarksville    Tennessee    1846    
    Methodist Episcopal Church South    offered a collegiate program and post-graduate courses    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Clinton College    New Middleton    Tennessee    1834    1850's    
    founded by Dr. Francis H. Gordon, James B. Moores and Willie B.
Gordon,  and established in October, 1833, on the Lebanon and
Trousdale Ferry Turnpike.  Dr. F. H. Gordon and Prof. James B.
Moores (the latter of whom became an eminent lawyer) were for
many years the principal teachers in the college, the doors of
which were permanently closed sometime during the decade of the fifties.    http://www.drewa.com/John%20Gord%20&%20Related%20Family%20Documents.htm
College of Physicians and Surgeons    Memphis    Tennessee    
    1911    
    merged with University of Tennessee Medical School    http://www.memphislibrary.org/history/memphis2.htm
Columbia Athenaeum    Columbia    Tennessee    1852    
    
    
    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Columbia Institute    Columbia    Tennessee    1836    
    Episcopal    offered a collegiate program for a time; by 1909 operated as a preparatory school    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Corona College    Lebanon    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.cumberland.edu/about/history.html
Correspondence Literary College    Van      Tennessee    1900    
    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Cumberland College    Nashville    Tennessee    1785    
    
    founded as Davidson Academy, became Cumberland College in 1806, University of Nashville in 1826, State Normal College in 1875, Peabody Normal College in 1889, and George Peabody College for Teachers in 1909    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Cumberland Female College    McMinnville    Tennessee    1851    1896    Cumberland Presbyterian    5 teachers and 100 students in 1851; forced to close during Civil War; presidents: A.M. Stone (1851-55), J.M. Gill (1855-57), D.M. Donnell (1857-1871), A.M. Burney (1871-1880), N.J. Finney (1880-1896)    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/mcdonold/42-49.htm
www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/CumberlandFemaleCollege.htm
Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
David Lipscomb College    Nashville    Tennessee    1891    
    Churches of Christ    founded as Nashville Bible School; name change to David Lipscomb College in 1917, to David Lipscomb University in 1989, and to Lipscomb University in 2005    http://www.lipscomb.edu/
Dick White College    Fayetteville    Tennessee    1890    
    
    
    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/Evans.htm
Dixie College    Cookesville    Tennessee    1910    
    
    chartered in 1909 as the University of Dixie, but known as Dixie College; deeded to Cookeville & Putnam Counties in 1915 and operated as Tennessee Polytechnic Institute as a high school and jr. college; offered a 4-yr program after 1929; name changed to Tennessee Technological University in 1965    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.tntech.edu/history.html
Draughon Junior College of Business    Kingsport    Tennessee    
    1991    
    
    
Draughon Junior College of Business    Knoxville    Tennessee    1884    1991    
    
    
East Tennessee College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1809    
    
    designated in 1869 as the land-grant institution in the state; in 1879 name changed to University of Tennessee    http://web.utk.edu/~mklein/brfhist.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
East Tennessee Wesleyan University    Athens    Tennessee    
    
    Methodist Episcopal Church    successor to Athens Female College; predecessor to Grant Memorial University    www.twcnet.edu/Academics/history.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Ewing and Jefferson College    Blount County    Tennessee    1855    
    
    
    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/mcdonold/42-49.htm;
www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/Evans.htm
Fairmount College    Monteagle    Tennessee    1872    
    Episcopal    women's college; closed with advent of WWI; one student was the future Madame Chiang Kai-Shek    www.duboseconf.com/history.html
Frank Hughes College    Clifton    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tnwayne/clifton/college.htm
Franklin College    Franklin    Tennessee    1844    1865    Churches of Christ (Disciples)    founded by Tolbert Fanning and Bowling Embry; enrolled 150 students in first year; known for adoption of Fellenburg's work-study concept; Cummins states that operations suspended in 1861, reopened briefly in 1865, but permanently closed that year when fire destroyed campus; Hunt & Carper give 1879 as closing date    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949. pp. 34-52.
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Cummins, D. Duane. The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Giles College    
    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.tngenweb.org/giles/history/gs.html
Grant Memorial University    Chattanooga / Athens    Tennessee    
    
    
    successor to East Tennessee Wesleyan University; predecessor to Athens School of the University of Chattanooga    www.twcnet.edu/Academics/history.html
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Greeneville College    Greeneville    Tennessee    1794    1868    Presbyterian    though proposed in 1794, classes probably started in 1803; suspended classes during Civil War and in aftermath of the war, merged with Tusculum College    http://ajmuseum.tusculum.edu/tcarchives.html
www.tngenweb.org/goodspeed/greene/
Greeneville College    Greeneville    Tennessee    
    
    African Methodist Episcopal Zion    
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/harris/harris.html
Hall-Moody Junior College    Martin     Tennessee    1900    1927    Baptist    consolidated with Union University    www.uu.edu/about/
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Hanner Highland Male and Female College    Vervilla    Tennessee    1856    
    
    
    www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
Henderson Male and Female College    Henderson    Tennessee    1869    
    
    founded as Henderson Male and Female Institute, became Henderson Masonic Male and Female Institute in 1877, became West Tennessee Christian College in 1885    www.rootsweb.com/~tncheste/goodspeed.shtml
Holston College    New Market    Tennessee    1840    1845    
    alma mater of James Henry Randolph, U.S. House of Representatives, 1877-1879    http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=R000045
Holston Synodical College    Mosheim    Tennessee    1869    1910    
    successor for Mosheim Institute; named Holston Synodical College for 1897; for two years after 1906, known as Holston College; then, Cowden College until 1910; building purchased for Greene County for high school    http://patsabin.com/Mosheim/schoolhist.htm
Howard College    Gallatin    Tennessee    1837    
    Odd Fellows    
    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Irving College    Warren County    Tennessee    1840    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    Goodspeed's history gives 1835 as founding date and states that the school operated until May, 1861, reopening in 1882    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
Jackson College    Columbia    Tennessee    1830's    
    
    
    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
http://www.tngenweb.org/maury/gsdf.htm
Johnson Bible College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1893    
    
    founded as the School for Evangelists; name changed to Johnson Bible College in 1909; name changed to Johnson University in 2011    http://www.jbc.edu/our-history.html
Knoxville Medical College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1900    1910    
    began operation in 1895 as medical department of Knoxville College    
La Grange Female College    La Grange    Tennessee    1854    
    
    first president was David B. Johnson who died soon after institution opened; John D. Meredith was president 1858-1867; closed during the war, reopened and continued operation; building later used as public school and burned in 1921    www.lagrangetn.com/college.htm
La Grange Synodical College    La Grange    Tennessee    b1839    
    Presbyterian    Burke notes Masonic and Presbyterian ties; new brick building in 1855 with John H. Gray, pastor of Beale St. Second Presbyterian Church as president; occupied by Federal troops during Civil War    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
www.lagrangetn.com/college.htm
Lawrence College    Alexandria    Tennessee    1860    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    Goodspeed's history gives 1858 as founding date    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.tngenweb.org/dekalb/gdsphist.htm
Lebanon College for Young Ladies    Lebanon    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tnwcogs/docs/goodsp02.html
Lexington Baptist Male and Female College    Lexington    Tennessee    1895    1903    
    presidents: E.W. Essary (1895), J.A. Mount, A.J. Barton (1896), Andrew L. Todd (1898), J.L. McNatt (1898), W.R. Phillips (1899-1900), Robert L. Sutton (1901-1903)    www.henderson-lea.hc.k12tn.net/donahue/he-stuff/bapt-col.htm
Madison College    Spring Creek    Tennessee    1850's    
    Baptist    Spring Creek is located in Madison County    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Madison College    Madison    Tennessee    1904    
    7th Day Adventist    founded as Nashville Agricultural Normal Institute on a farm of 412 acres; a sanitarium and campus industries were integral to the plan of work and study for students    http://personalweb.edge.net/~gbockmon/ms_info/review.html
http://www.nashville.gov/mhc/education.htm
Manchester College    Manchester    Tennessee    1878    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    biography of W.D. Carnes has him serving as president of Manchester for seven years from 1865-1872    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949.
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.therestorationmovement.com/carnes,wd.htm
Mary Sharp College    Winchester    Tennessee    1850    1896    Baptist    founded as The Tennessee and Alabama Institute; first U.S. women's college to require both Latin & Greek in a four-year course of study and awarded A.B. degree.    Harwarth, Maline, and DeBra.  Women's Colleges in the United States.
http://www.ed.gov/offices/OERI/PLLI/webreprt.html;
http://www.mtsu.edu/~library/wtn/colleges/msharp.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Masonic College    Macon    Tennessee    
    
    
    William Rainey Harper, later president of University of Chicago, served as principal of Masonic College for one year in 1876    http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/spcl/centcat/pres/presch01_01.html
Masonic University of Tennessee    Clarksville    Tennessee    1848    
    
    enjoyed numerous name changes becoming Montgomery Masonic College in 1850, Stewart College in 1855, Southwestern Presbyterian University in 1875; moved to Memphis in 1925 becoming Southwestern at Memphis and in 1984 renamed Rhodes College    www.rhodes.edu/Academics/CollegeCatalogue/GeneralInformation/HistoricalSummary/index.cfm
McKenzie College    Clarksville    Tennessee    1838    
    Methodist    founded as Caledonia College and burned during the Civil War; later moved and name changed with J.W.P. McKenzie serving as president after 1871; 1882 known as McTyire Institute and later after 1899 McTyire School    
McKenzie College    Chattanooga    Tennessee    1940's    1992    
    Roy E. McKenzie, Jr. was president    
Memphis Conference Female Institute    Jackson    Tennessee    1843    2011    Methodist    became coed in 1923 with move to Jackson, TN and changed name to Lambuth College; Lambuth University after 1991; closed 2011; campus acquired by the University of Memphis for a branch campus    www.lambuth.edu/aboutlambuth/history.html
www.henderson-lea.hc.k12n.net/donahue/madison/gsmed.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
http://www.tngenweb.org/goodspeed/madison/#school
Memphis Hospital Medical College    Memphis    Tennessee    1876    1911    
    see entry for Nashville Medical College    http://www.utmem.edu/history_archives/
Mid-South Bible College    Memphis    Tennessee    1960    
    
    founded as Mid-South Bible Training Center in 1941; name changed to Mid-South Bible Institute in 1948; to Mid-South Bible College in 1960; name changed to Crichton College in 1987; name change in May 2010 to Victory University    http://www.victory.edu/about-us/history/
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Middle Tennessee State Teachers College    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1909    
    state supported    founded as Middle Tennessee State Normal School; name change to Middle Tennessee State Teachers College in 1926, to State Teachers College, Murfreesboro in 1929, to Middle Tennessee State College in 1941, and to Middle Tennessee State University in 1965    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Milton College    Fayetteville    Tennessee    1856    
    
    alma mater of Willa McCord Blake Eslick who served in U.S. House of Representatives    http://www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/Evans.htm
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=E000217
Minerva College    Franklin    Tennessee    1849    
    Churches of Christ    institution for women; operated as companion institution of Franklin College    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949. p. 51.
Montgomery Masonic College    Clarksville    Tennessee    1848    
    
    became Stewart College 1855, Southwestern Presbyterian University in 1875; moved to Memphis in 1925    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Morristown College    Morristown    Tennessee    1881    1989    United Methodist    started by Freedman's Aid Society of Methodist Episcopal Church; two year institution for blacks; acquired by Knoxville College in 1989 and operated for a few years until financial difficulties led to closure of Knoxville College-Morristown in 1994    http://www.mtsu.edu/~library/wtn/colleges/morristown.html
http://www.umc.org/judicial/500/589.html
Mossy Creek Baptist College    Jefferson City    Tennessee    1851    
    Baptist    founded as Mossy Creek Baptist Seminary; predecessor of Carson-Newman College (after 1889)    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://www.cn.edu/site/NS_subsites/TheCollege/cnh_History.htm
Murphy College    Sevierville    Tennessee    1892    1936    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatM.htm
Nashville College for Young Ladies    Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    founded by George W. Price who previously had served as president of Huntsville (AL) Female College and later was professor of physiology at Vanderbuilt Medical School    http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatN.htm
Nashville Medical College    Nashville    Tennessee    1876    1879    
    The University of Tennessee, College of Medicine has its roots in Nashville as the Nashville Medical College. That college as organized in 1876, and in 1879 was acquired by the University of Tennessee as its medical department. The Memphis Hospital Medical College was also found in 1876 but, because of the yellow fever epidemic in Memphis, did not actually hold classes until 1880. In 1909 two Nashville schools merged and were operating as the joint Medical department of the University of Nashville and the University of Tennessee. It moved to Memphis in 1911 and merged with the College of Physicians and Surgeons to become the University of Tennessee, College of Medicine...     http://www.utmem.edu/history_archives/
Nashville State Technical Community College    Nashville    Tennessee    1970    
    
    initially founded as Nashville State Technical Institute; in 1984 joined the Tennessee Board of Regents system of state universities and community colleges; in 2002, the Tennessee General Assembly approved an expanded mission to that of comprehensive community college; name change to Nashville State Community College in 2009     http://www.nscc.edu/
National Baptist Seminary & Missionary Training School    Nashville    Tennessee    1918    1931    
    
    
National Teachers Normal and Business College    Henderson    Tennessee    
    
    Churches of Christ    see West Tennessee Christian College entry    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Nelson Merry College    Jefferson County    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.tnhillbillie.net/tn/jefferson/articles/jbmalone.html
Neophogen Male and Female College    Gallatin    Tennessee    1872    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
New Century College    Cleveland    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Newman College    Jefferson City    Tennessee    
    
    
    women's college, merged with Carson College to form Carson-Newman    http://www.cn.edu/site/NS_subsites/TheCollege/cnh_History.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Northeast State Technical Community College    Blountville    Tennessee    1966    
    state supported    founded as Tri-Cities State Area Vocational-Technical School in 1966 under the governance of the State Board for Vocational Education; name change in 1978 to Tri-Cities State Technical Institute;  became part of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee in 1983; name change to Northeast State Technical Community College in 1990; name change to Northeast State Community College in 2009    http://www.nstcc.cc.tn.us/
Paris College    Paris    Tennessee    
    
    
    founded by Edwin H. Randle who previously had served as president of Caledonia College    
Pellissippi State Technical Community College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1974    
    state supported    founding as State Technical Institute at Knoxville; Tennessee Board of Regents approved the expansion of the mission to include college transfer programs and name changed to Pellissippi State Technical Community College in 1988; name change to Pellissippi State Community College in 2009    http://www.pstcc.edu/about_pstcc/index.html
People's College    Pikeville    Tennessee    
    
    
    …eight miles from Pikeville?    http://www.rootsweb.com/~gamacon/newspapers/CV/cv1911pg11.htm
www.segenealogy.com/tennessee/tn_county/ble.htm
Pure Fountain College    Smithville    Tennessee    1883    
    
    three story brick building with five story tower; burned in 1889; site used for high school at Smithville prior to consolidation in 1963    www.tngenweb.org/dekalb/gdsphist.htm
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/3627/purefountain.htm
Radnor College    Nashville    Tennessee    1905    1914    Cumberland Presbyterian    college for young women founded by A.N. Eshman; it gained national attention for its complimentary educational tours for students; after the school closed a printing plant on campus served until 1924 as the Cumberland Presbyterian Publishing House; in 1921, a spectacular fire claimed the college’s main building    http://www.nashville.gov/mhc/education.htm
Roger Williams University    Nashville    Tennessee    
    1929    Baptist    
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/haley/menu.html
Rogersville Synodical College    Rogersville    Tennessee    1849    
    Presbyterian    founded by Odd Fellows    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Routt College    Jacksonville    Tennessee    1905    
    
    
    www.routtcatholic.com/History.htm
Ruskin Cave College    Ruskin    Tennessee    1904    1922    
    
    www.trevecca.edu/about/history
Saint Agnes College    Memphis    Tennessee    
    
    Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine    predecessor of Siena College    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Scarritt College of Christian Workers    Nashville    Tennessee    1892    1988    Methodist Episcopal    Scarritt Bible and Training Institute established in Kansas City, MO; moved to Nashville in 1924 as Scarritt College for Christian Workers; from 1980-1988 known as Scarritt Graduate School; Women's Division of United Methodist Church reclaimed ownership when institution closed    
http://www.scarrittbennett.org/about/history.aspx
Scotts Hill College    Scotts Hill    Tennessee    1894    1904    
    
    http://henderson-lea.hc.k12tn.net/donahue/he-stuff/shcolreu.htm
Sequachie College    
    Tennessee    1858    1887    
    
    http://travel.nostalgiaville.com/Tennessee/Bledsoe/bledsoe%20county/bledso89.gif
www.segenealogy.com/tennessee/tn_county/ble.htm
Shelby Medical College    Nashville    Tennessee    1857    
    
    
    www.collphyphil.org/FIND_AID/hist/histlmh1.htm
Siena College    Memphis    Tennessee    1922    1970    Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine    successor of Saint Agnes College    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Soule College    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1825    1916    Methodist Episcopal    organized as "The Female Academy"; named for Bishop Soule of the ME Church in 1852; clsoed during Civil War when buildings were damaged; reopened after the war    www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/8859/soule_college.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Southern Junior College    Collegedale    Tennessee    1892    
    Seventh-Day Adventist    founded as Graysville Academy, became Southern Industrial School in 1896, Southern Training School in 1901, Southern Junior College in 1916, Southern Missionary College in 1944, Southern College of Seventh-day Adventists in 1982, and Southern Adventist University in 1996    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://www.southern.edu/?page=about_us/history.php
Southern Normal University    Huntingdon    Tennessee    1890    1908    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tncarrol/photos/SNU.htm
Southern Tennessee Normal College    Essary Springs    Tennessee    1889    
    
    
    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949.
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Southern Y.M.C.A. College    Nashville    Tennessee    1919    1936    
    
    www.ymca.net/about/cont/history.htm
Southwest Tennessee Community College    Memphis    Tennessee    2000    
    state supported    formed through consolidation on July 1, 2000 of Shelby State Community College (founded in 1972) and the State Technical Institute at Memphis (founded in 1968)    http://www.southwest.tn.edu/
Southwestern Baptist University    Jackson    Tennessee    1874    
    Tennessee Baptist Convention    predecessor to present day Union University; name changed to Union soon after 1907; new charter in 1925 transfering rights from Tennesseee Baptist Convention to Union trustees    www.uu.edu/union/about/history.htm
www.henderson-lea.hc.k12n.net/donahue/madison/gsmed.htm
Southwestern Presbyterian University    Clarksville    Tennessee    1874    
    Presbyterian    name changed to Southwestern Presbyterian in 1924 and institution moved to Memphis, TN; predecessor to Rhodes College; buildings in Clarksville served as foundation for Austin Peay Normal School when it was founded in 1927 as a two-year junior college and teacher training institution    www.rhodes.edu/Academics/CollegeCatalogue/GeneralInformation/HistoricalSummary/index.cfm
http://text.apsu.edu/bulletin/history.htm
Southwestern University    Jackson    Tennessee    1874    
    Baptist    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Steed College    Johnson City    Tennessee    1940    1982    
    
    
Stewart College    Clarksville    Tennessee    
    
    
    later Southwestern Presbyterian University and still later, Southwestern-at-Memphis    http://www.tngenweb.org/montgomery/wmstewarthis.html
Stonewall  College    Cross Plains    Tennessee    1877    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Strawberry Plains College    Jefferson County    Tennessee    1848    1865    
    
    http://208.183.128.3/rss-history/spcollege.htm
Swift Memorial College    Rogersville    Tennessee    1883    1955    Presbyterian    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
www.tnstate.edu/library/digital/swift.htm
www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM67KE
Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State Normal College    Nashville    Tennessee    1912    
    
    became Tennessee State University in 1969; merged with University of Tennessee: Nashville in 1979    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Tennessee Christian College    Jonesboro    Tennessee    1915    
    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Tennessee College for Women    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1907    1946    Baptist    moved to Lebanon, TN to become part of Cumberland University    www.belmont.edu/hr/look.html
Tennessee Conference Female College    Columbia    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Tennessee Female College    Franklin    Tennessee    1857    
    Methodist Episcopal Church South    closed during Civil War, reopening in 1865; property sold and operated under several different administrators; burned in 1886 and rebuilt    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Tennessee Junior College    Martin    Tennessee    1927    
    
    name change to University of Tennessee, Martin in 1951    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Tennessee Manual Labor College    Ebenezer    Tennessee    1867    1872    Disciples of Christ    three hundred acres of land purchased for establishing an institution for freedmen; enrollment of as many as 180 students; closed due to financial scandal by corrupt development agents    www.tnstate.edu/library/digital/lowery.htm
Tennessee Manual University    Nashville    Tennessee    1868    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Terrill College    Decherd    Tennessee    1889    1906    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Tomlinson College    Cleveland    Tennessee    
    1992    
    lost SACS accreditation in 1992    
Turner College    Shelbyville    Tennessee    1886    
    African Methodist Episcopal    The Tennessee Conference in 1885, Bishop Turner presiding, passed a
 resolution to establish the school. Revs. E. Tyree (now bishop), T. B.
Caldwell and G. W. Bryant were the committee to locate the school,
which was first called Shelbyville High School. The first principal was
Rev. C. S. Bowman, who also pastored the Shelbyville A. M. E. Church.
Succeeding presidents have been Revs B. A. J. Nixon, W. H. Shelby,
C. H. Boone, J. H. Boone, and the present incumbent, Rev. J. A. Jones.
In 1896 the institution was chartered as "Turner Normal and Industrial
Institute," which has later been changed to "Turner College." The
departments are theological, English, normal, college, preparatory,
commercial, music, sewing and millinery. There were last year 137
students and 9 teachers. There have been 33 graduates from the
normal course. Among the distinguished graduates is Rev. H. L.
P. Jones, pastor of St. Paul Church, Nashville, Tenn. The property
 consists of 2 acres and 3 buildings, valued at $30,000. The
institution is supported by the Tennessee conferences.
Its income is about $5,000 per year. (Wright)    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/wright/ill366.html
http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/wright/wright.html
U. S. Grant University    Athens / Chattanooga    Tennessee    1889    
    Methodist    formed by consolidation of Chattanooga and Grant Memorial University; predecessor of Tennessee Wesleyan College    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Union University    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1848    1873    Baptist General Assembly of Tennessee    closed from 1859 until 1868, then reopened briefly before closing permanently in 1873; considered a predecessor of Union University in Jackson, TN;    www.uu.edu/about/
University of Dixie    Cookeville    Tennessee    1909    
    
    name change to Tennessee Polytechnic Institute in 1915; to Tennessee Technological University in 1965    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
University of Nashville     Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    closed by Peabody Board of Trust for founding of Peabody College    http://web.utk.edu/~ddonahue/turner/gt-c13c.htm
Mathis, David. Image, Institution, and Leadership: Philip Lindsley and the Modern University Presidency, 1825-1850. Ed.D. dissertation. 1985.
http://www.bonps.org/tour/westernmilitary.htm
Videmour College    Warren County    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tnwcogs/docs/goodsp02.html
Walden University    Nashville    Tennessee    1900    1925    Methodist    institution started to decline, particularly after depression of 1914-15; medical department formed a separate Meharry Medical College in 1915; Walden renamed Walden College in 1922 and moved to new site operating as a junior college until financial difficulties forced closure; campus vacant until 1935 when leased by Trevecca Nazarene College     http://www.tnstate.edu/library/digital/walden.htm
http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/haley/menu.html
Ward-Belmont    Nashville    Tennessee    1913    1951    
    successor to Ward Seminary and Belmont Junior College; indebtedness assumed by Tennessee Baptist Convention which opend Belmont College    http://www.belmont.edu/hr/look.html
Washington and Tusculum College    Greeneville    Tennessee    1908    1912    
    institutions merge for a brief time before parting    http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~bridgett/tnchron.htm
http://ajmuseum.tusculum.edu/tcarchives.html
Washington College    Washington College    Tennessee    1780    
    
    founded as an academy in 1780; continues today offering high school courses as  Washington College Academy    www.wca-pvt.com/history.htm
Waters and Walling College    McMinnville    Tennessee    1874    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    William Davis Carnes selected as president in 1878, but resigned before dying November 1879; evolved into the McMinnville public school after 1886    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.therestorationmovement.com/carnes,wd.htm
www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
West Tennessee Christian College    Henderson    Tennessee    1869    
    Churches of Christ    founded as Henderson Male and Female Institute, became Henderson Masonic Male and Female Institute in 1877, became West Tennessee Christian College in 1885, Georgia Robertson Christian College in 1897, National Teachers Normal and Business College in 1907, and after 1919 Freed-Hardeman College; (some references refer to Georgia Roberson College)    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949.
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
www.fcoc.com/history/barret.htm
www.rootsweb.com/~tncheste/goodspeed.shtml
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
West Tennessee College    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1844    1874    Baptist    reopened by Southwestern Baptist University after 1874; Blackmar gives location as Jackson    www.uu.edu/about/
www.henderson-lea.hc.k12n.net/donahue/madison/gsmed.htm
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Blackmar, Frank W. "The History of Federal and State Aid to Higher Education in the United States," in Herbert B. Adams, ed.  Contributions to American Educational History. 1890.
West Tennessee State Teachers College    Memphis    Tennessee    1912    
    state supported    founded as West Tennessee Normal School; became West Tennessee State Teachers College in 1925; name change to Memphis State College in 1941, to Memphis State University in 1957 and to the University of Memphis in 1994    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Wirt College    near Hartsville    Tennessee    1838    
    
    founded as Wirt Seminary; later known as Enon College    Burke, Colin B.  American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
www.hartsvilletrousdale.com/History.html
Woodbury College    Woodbury    Tennessee    1855    
    Baptist    
    http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cannonco/cancogsp.html
Y.M.C.A. Graduate School    Nashville    Tennessee    1927    1936    
    building purchased by Vanderbilt    www.vanderbilt.edu/News/register/Oct16_01/story12.html
Zion College    Chattanooga    Tennessee    
    
    
    later Chattanooga City College, one of the predecessors of the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga    

    
    
    
    
    
    
last update:    10/3/2011    
    
    
    
    
    
invisible hit counter

    
    
    
    
    College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
American Temperance University    Harriman    Tennessee    1893    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Andrew College    Trenton    Tennessee    
    
    
    property purchased in 1875 for use as public school    
Andrew Jackson Business College    
    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    
Austin Peay State College    Clarksville    Tennessee    1927    
    state supported    founded as two-year junior college and teacher training institution on grounds of the former Southwestern Presbyterian University; authorized to offer baccalaureate degrees after 1939; name changed to Austin Peay State College in 1943 and to Austin Peay State University in 1967    http://www.apsu.edu/General/history.aspx
Athens Female College    Athens    Tennessee    1857    
    Methodist Episcopal Church South    in 1866 became East Tennessee Wesleyan College; in 1886 became Grant Memorial University and in 1906, U.S. Grant University in 1889, the Athens School of the University of Chattanooga; became independent of University of Chattanooga in 1925 as Tennessee Wesleyan College    www.twcnet.edu/Academics/history.html
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Baptist Female College    Dancyville    Tennessee    1855    
    
    
    http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~haywood/history.htm
Bellevue Female College    Collierville    Tennessee    1899    
    
    Cummins uses 1899 for founding, though may've operated as early as 1870; in 1905 consolidated with Collierville Male Academy as Collierville High School    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.scs.k12.tn.us/SCS/high/Collierville/info/history.htm
Belmont Junior College    Nashville    Tennessee    1890    1913    
    merged with Ward Seminary to become Ward-Belmont    http://www.belmont.edu/hr/look.html
Bethel College    McLemoresville    Tennessee    1842    
    Cumberland Presbyterian    founded by the West Tennessee Synod of the Cumberland Presbyterian
Church; granted a charter by the State of Tennessee in 1847; moved to McKenzie, TN in 1872; name change to Bethel University, August 2009    http://www.bethelu.edu/
Bledsoe College    
    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.segenealogy.com/tennessee/tn_county/ble.htm
Blount College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1794    
    
    grant of public lands received from state in 1807 and name changed to East Tennessee College; closed in 1809 for a decade, reopening in 1820    http://web.utk.edu/~mklein/brfhist.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Bluff Springs Academy    Gibson County    Tennessee    
    
    
    may've granted bachelors degrees; John E. Wright, attended and graduated in 1858, his father, Levi Wright, served as Supt. of Schools in the county; the elder Wright was a founder of Wake Forest College in North Carolina    http://www.rootsweb.com/~tndyer/family/diploma.html
Goodspeeds History of Tennessee, 1887
Bolton College & Agricultural High School    Brunswick    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatB.htm
Boscobel College    Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    
Botanico-Medical College    Memphis    Tennessee    1846    1861    
    name changed in 1859 to Eclectic Medical Institute of Memphis    Haller, John. Kindly Medicine: Physio-Medicalism in America 1836-1911. 1997.
Branell College    Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.ed-oha.org/cases/1994-210-sa.html
Bristol University    Bristol    Tennessee    1895    1994    
    
    
Brownsville Baptist Female College    Brownsville    Tennessee    1851    
    Baptist    chartered as West Tennessee Baptist Female College    http://www.mtsu.edu/~library/wtn/colleges/brownsville.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Bryson College    Fayetteville    Tennessee    1919    1929    Associated Reformed Presbyterian    
    www.erskine.edu/news/sandlapper.6.8.01.html
Buford College    Nashville    Tennessee    1905    c. 1920    
    women's college in Glendale section    www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/6038/Buford_College.html
Burritt College    Spencer    Tennessee    1848    1938    Churches of Christ (Disciples)    led by William David Carnes until 1857; suspended operations for a time beginning in 1860; Carnes served again as president from 1872-1878    www.state.tn.us/sos/statelib/pubus/bibvanbu.htm
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987
www.therestorationmovement.com/carnes,wd.htm
Caledonia College    Caledonia    Tennessee    
    
    
    Edwin H. Randle, founding president; closed and burned during the Civil War; considered predecessor for McKenzie College    
Carson College    Jefferson City    Tennessee    1880    
    
    successor of Mossy Creek Baptist College that was founded as Mossy Creek Baptist Seminary in 1851; name changed to Carson College in 1880; merged with Newman College for Women in 1889 to become Carson-Newman College    http://www.cn.edu/site/NS_subsites/TheCollege/cnh_History.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Centenary College    Cleveland    Tennessee    
    
    
    property purchased by Bob Jones in 1933 and relocated a school from Saint Andrews Bay, FL (founded in 1926); in 1947 moved to Greenville, SC to become Bob Jones University     http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Ringenberg, William C.  The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America. 1984.
Central Tennessee College    Nashville    Tennessee    1867    1900    Freedmen's Aid Society of Methodist Episcopal Church    founded as school for freedmen; Meharry Medical deparment opened in 1875, a law department in 1879, and dental and pharmaceutical departments were opened in 1880; name changed to Walden University    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/haley/menu.html
Ringenberg, William C.  The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America. 1984.
Central University    Nashville    Tennessee    1872    
    Methodist Episcopal Church, South    adopted name of Vanderbilt University in 1873;Cornelius Vanderbilt and his wife contributed $1 million and other family members contributed another $10 million by 1895; nonsectarian after 1914    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Ringenberg, William C.  The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America. 1984.
Chattanooga State Technical Community College    Chattanooga    Tennessee    1965    
    state supported    founded as Chattanooga State Technical Institute; name change to Chattanooga State Technical Community College in 1973; name change to Chattanooga State Community College in 2009    http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/about/abhis.asp
Chattanooga University    Chattanooga    Tennessee    1886    
    Methodist Episcopal    became Grant University in 1889, University of Chattanooga in 1907, independent of church in 1909, merged with University of Tennessee and Chattanooga City College in 1969, now the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Clarksville Female Academy    Clarksville    Tennessee    1846    
    Methodist Episcopal Church South    offered a collegiate program and post-graduate courses    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Clinton College    New Middleton    Tennessee    1834    1850's    
    founded by Dr. Francis H. Gordon, James B. Moores and Willie B.
Gordon,  and established in October, 1833, on the Lebanon and
Trousdale Ferry Turnpike.  Dr. F. H. Gordon and Prof. James B.
Moores (the latter of whom became an eminent lawyer) were for
many years the principal teachers in the college, the doors of
which were permanently closed sometime during the decade of the fifties.    http://www.drewa.com/John%20Gord%20&%20Related%20Family%20Documents.htm
College of Physicians and Surgeons    Memphis    Tennessee    
    1911    
    merged with University of Tennessee Medical School    http://www.memphislibrary.org/history/memphis2.htm
Columbia Athenaeum    Columbia    Tennessee    1852    
    
    
    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Columbia Institute    Columbia    Tennessee    1836    
    Episcopal    offered a collegiate program for a time; by 1909 operated as a preparatory school    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Corona College    Lebanon    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.cumberland.edu/about/history.html
Correspondence Literary College    Van      Tennessee    1900    
    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Cumberland College    Nashville    Tennessee    1785    
    
    founded as Davidson Academy, became Cumberland College in 1806, University of Nashville in 1826, State Normal College in 1875, Peabody Normal College in 1889, and George Peabody College for Teachers in 1909    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Cumberland Female College    McMinnville    Tennessee    1851    1896    Cumberland Presbyterian    5 teachers and 100 students in 1851; forced to close during Civil War; presidents: A.M. Stone (1851-55), J.M. Gill (1855-57), D.M. Donnell (1857-1871), A.M. Burney (1871-1880), N.J. Finney (1880-1896)    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/mcdonold/42-49.htm
www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/CumberlandFemaleCollege.htm
Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
David Lipscomb College    Nashville    Tennessee    1891    
    Churches of Christ    founded as Nashville Bible School; name change to David Lipscomb College in 1917, to David Lipscomb University in 1989, and to Lipscomb University in 2005    http://www.lipscomb.edu/
Dick White College    Fayetteville    Tennessee    1890    
    
    
    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/Evans.htm
Dixie College    Cookesville    Tennessee    1910    
    
    chartered in 1909 as the University of Dixie, but known as Dixie College; deeded to Cookeville & Putnam Counties in 1915 and operated as Tennessee Polytechnic Institute as a high school and jr. college; offered a 4-yr program after 1929; name changed to Tennessee Technological University in 1965    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.tntech.edu/history.html
Draughon Junior College of Business    Kingsport    Tennessee    
    1991    
    
    
Draughon Junior College of Business    Knoxville    Tennessee    1884    1991    
    
    
East Tennessee College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1809    
    
    designated in 1869 as the land-grant institution in the state; in 1879 name changed to University of Tennessee    http://web.utk.edu/~mklein/brfhist.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
East Tennessee Wesleyan University    Athens    Tennessee    
    
    Methodist Episcopal Church    successor to Athens Female College; predecessor to Grant Memorial University    www.twcnet.edu/Academics/history.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Ewing and Jefferson College    Blount County    Tennessee    1855    
    
    
    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/mcdonold/42-49.htm;
www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/Evans.htm
Fairmount College    Monteagle    Tennessee    1872    
    Episcopal    women's college; closed with advent of WWI; one student was the future Madame Chiang Kai-Shek    www.duboseconf.com/history.html
Frank Hughes College    Clifton    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tnwayne/clifton/college.htm
Franklin College    Franklin    Tennessee    1844    1865    Churches of Christ (Disciples)    founded by Tolbert Fanning and Bowling Embry; enrolled 150 students in first year; known for adoption of Fellenburg's work-study concept; Cummins states that operations suspended in 1861, reopened briefly in 1865, but permanently closed that year when fire destroyed campus; Hunt & Carper give 1879 as closing date    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949. pp. 34-52.
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Cummins, D. Duane. The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Giles College    
    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.tngenweb.org/giles/history/gs.html
Grant Memorial University    Chattanooga / Athens    Tennessee    
    
    
    successor to East Tennessee Wesleyan University; predecessor to Athens School of the University of Chattanooga    www.twcnet.edu/Academics/history.html
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Greeneville College    Greeneville    Tennessee    1794    1868    Presbyterian    though proposed in 1794, classes probably started in 1803; suspended classes during Civil War and in aftermath of the war, merged with Tusculum College    http://ajmuseum.tusculum.edu/tcarchives.html
www.tngenweb.org/goodspeed/greene/
Greeneville College    Greeneville    Tennessee    
    
    African Methodist Episcopal Zion    
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/harris/harris.html
Hall-Moody Junior College    Martin     Tennessee    1900    1927    Baptist    consolidated with Union University    www.uu.edu/about/
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Hanner Highland Male and Female College    Vervilla    Tennessee    1856    
    
    
    www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
Henderson Male and Female College    Henderson    Tennessee    1869    
    
    founded as Henderson Male and Female Institute, became Henderson Masonic Male and Female Institute in 1877, became West Tennessee Christian College in 1885    www.rootsweb.com/~tncheste/goodspeed.shtml
Holston College    New Market    Tennessee    1840    1845    
    alma mater of James Henry Randolph, U.S. House of Representatives, 1877-1879    http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=R000045
Holston Synodical College    Mosheim    Tennessee    1869    1910    
    successor for Mosheim Institute; named Holston Synodical College for 1897; for two years after 1906, known as Holston College; then, Cowden College until 1910; building purchased for Greene County for high school    http://patsabin.com/Mosheim/schoolhist.htm
Howard College    Gallatin    Tennessee    1837    
    Odd Fellows    
    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Irving College    Warren County    Tennessee    1840    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    Goodspeed's history gives 1835 as founding date and states that the school operated until May, 1861, reopening in 1882    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
Jackson College    Columbia    Tennessee    1830's    
    
    
    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
http://www.tngenweb.org/maury/gsdf.htm
Johnson Bible College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1893    
    
    founded as the School for Evangelists; name changed to Johnson Bible College in 1909; name changed to Johnson University in 2011    http://www.jbc.edu/our-history.html
Knoxville Medical College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1900    1910    
    began operation in 1895 as medical department of Knoxville College    
La Grange Female College    La Grange    Tennessee    1854    
    
    first president was David B. Johnson who died soon after institution opened; John D. Meredith was president 1858-1867; closed during the war, reopened and continued operation; building later used as public school and burned in 1921    www.lagrangetn.com/college.htm
La Grange Synodical College    La Grange    Tennessee    b1839    
    Presbyterian    Burke notes Masonic and Presbyterian ties; new brick building in 1855 with John H. Gray, pastor of Beale St. Second Presbyterian Church as president; occupied by Federal troops during Civil War    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
www.lagrangetn.com/college.htm
Lawrence College    Alexandria    Tennessee    1860    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    Goodspeed's history gives 1858 as founding date    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.tngenweb.org/dekalb/gdsphist.htm
Lebanon College for Young Ladies    Lebanon    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tnwcogs/docs/goodsp02.html
Lexington Baptist Male and Female College    Lexington    Tennessee    1895    1903    
    presidents: E.W. Essary (1895), J.A. Mount, A.J. Barton (1896), Andrew L. Todd (1898), J.L. McNatt (1898), W.R. Phillips (1899-1900), Robert L. Sutton (1901-1903)    www.henderson-lea.hc.k12tn.net/donahue/he-stuff/bapt-col.htm
Madison College    Spring Creek    Tennessee    1850's    
    Baptist    Spring Creek is located in Madison County    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Madison College    Madison    Tennessee    1904    
    7th Day Adventist    founded as Nashville Agricultural Normal Institute on a farm of 412 acres; a sanitarium and campus industries were integral to the plan of work and study for students    http://personalweb.edge.net/~gbockmon/ms_info/review.html
http://www.nashville.gov/mhc/education.htm
Manchester College    Manchester    Tennessee    1878    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    biography of W.D. Carnes has him serving as president of Manchester for seven years from 1865-1872    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949.
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.therestorationmovement.com/carnes,wd.htm
Mary Sharp College    Winchester    Tennessee    1850    1896    Baptist    founded as The Tennessee and Alabama Institute; first U.S. women's college to require both Latin & Greek in a four-year course of study and awarded A.B. degree.    Harwarth, Maline, and DeBra.  Women's Colleges in the United States.
http://www.ed.gov/offices/OERI/PLLI/webreprt.html;
http://www.mtsu.edu/~library/wtn/colleges/msharp.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Masonic College    Macon    Tennessee    
    
    
    William Rainey Harper, later president of University of Chicago, served as principal of Masonic College for one year in 1876    http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/spcl/centcat/pres/presch01_01.html
Masonic University of Tennessee    Clarksville    Tennessee    1848    
    
    enjoyed numerous name changes becoming Montgomery Masonic College in 1850, Stewart College in 1855, Southwestern Presbyterian University in 1875; moved to Memphis in 1925 becoming Southwestern at Memphis and in 1984 renamed Rhodes College    www.rhodes.edu/Academics/CollegeCatalogue/GeneralInformation/HistoricalSummary/index.cfm
McKenzie College    Clarksville    Tennessee    1838    
    Methodist    founded as Caledonia College and burned during the Civil War; later moved and name changed with J.W.P. McKenzie serving as president after 1871; 1882 known as McTyire Institute and later after 1899 McTyire School    
McKenzie College    Chattanooga    Tennessee    1940's    1992    
    Roy E. McKenzie, Jr. was president    
Memphis Conference Female Institute    Jackson    Tennessee    1843    2011    Methodist    became coed in 1923 with move to Jackson, TN and changed name to Lambuth College; Lambuth University after 1991; closed 2011; campus acquired by the University of Memphis for a branch campus    www.lambuth.edu/aboutlambuth/history.html
www.henderson-lea.hc.k12n.net/donahue/madison/gsmed.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
http://www.tngenweb.org/goodspeed/madison/#school
Memphis Hospital Medical College    Memphis    Tennessee    1876    1911    
    see entry for Nashville Medical College    http://www.utmem.edu/history_archives/
Mid-South Bible College    Memphis    Tennessee    1960    
    
    founded as Mid-South Bible Training Center in 1941; name changed to Mid-South Bible Institute in 1948; to Mid-South Bible College in 1960; name changed to Crichton College in 1987; name change in May 2010 to Victory University    http://www.victory.edu/about-us/history/
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Middle Tennessee State Teachers College    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1909    
    state supported    founded as Middle Tennessee State Normal School; name change to Middle Tennessee State Teachers College in 1926, to State Teachers College, Murfreesboro in 1929, to Middle Tennessee State College in 1941, and to Middle Tennessee State University in 1965    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Milton College    Fayetteville    Tennessee    1856    
    
    alma mater of Willa McCord Blake Eslick who served in U.S. House of Representatives    http://www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/Evans.htm
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=E000217
Minerva College    Franklin    Tennessee    1849    
    Churches of Christ    institution for women; operated as companion institution of Franklin College    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949. p. 51.
Montgomery Masonic College    Clarksville    Tennessee    1848    
    
    became Stewart College 1855, Southwestern Presbyterian University in 1875; moved to Memphis in 1925    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Morristown College    Morristown    Tennessee    1881    1989    United Methodist    started by Freedman's Aid Society of Methodist Episcopal Church; two year institution for blacks; acquired by Knoxville College in 1989 and operated for a few years until financial difficulties led to closure of Knoxville College-Morristown in 1994    http://www.mtsu.edu/~library/wtn/colleges/morristown.html
http://www.umc.org/judicial/500/589.html
Mossy Creek Baptist College    Jefferson City    Tennessee    1851    
    Baptist    founded as Mossy Creek Baptist Seminary; predecessor of Carson-Newman College (after 1889)    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://www.cn.edu/site/NS_subsites/TheCollege/cnh_History.htm
Murphy College    Sevierville    Tennessee    1892    1936    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatM.htm
Nashville College for Young Ladies    Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    founded by George W. Price who previously had served as president of Huntsville (AL) Female College and later was professor of physiology at Vanderbuilt Medical School    http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatN.htm
Nashville Medical College    Nashville    Tennessee    1876    1879    
    The University of Tennessee, College of Medicine has its roots in Nashville as the Nashville Medical College. That college as organized in 1876, and in 1879 was acquired by the University of Tennessee as its medical department. The Memphis Hospital Medical College was also found in 1876 but, because of the yellow fever epidemic in Memphis, did not actually hold classes until 1880. In 1909 two Nashville schools merged and were operating as the joint Medical department of the University of Nashville and the University of Tennessee. It moved to Memphis in 1911 and merged with the College of Physicians and Surgeons to become the University of Tennessee, College of Medicine...     http://www.utmem.edu/history_archives/
Nashville State Technical Community College    Nashville    Tennessee    1970    
    
    initially founded as Nashville State Technical Institute; in 1984 joined the Tennessee Board of Regents system of state universities and community colleges; in 2002, the Tennessee General Assembly approved an expanded mission to that of comprehensive community college; name change to Nashville State Community College in 2009     http://www.nscc.edu/
National Baptist Seminary & Missionary Training School    Nashville    Tennessee    1918    1931    
    
    
National Teachers Normal and Business College    Henderson    Tennessee    
    
    Churches of Christ    see West Tennessee Christian College entry    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Nelson Merry College    Jefferson County    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.tnhillbillie.net/tn/jefferson/articles/jbmalone.html
Neophogen Male and Female College    Gallatin    Tennessee    1872    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
New Century College    Cleveland    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Newman College    Jefferson City    Tennessee    
    
    
    women's college, merged with Carson College to form Carson-Newman    http://www.cn.edu/site/NS_subsites/TheCollege/cnh_History.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Northeast State Technical Community College    Blountville    Tennessee    1966    
    state supported    founded as Tri-Cities State Area Vocational-Technical School in 1966 under the governance of the State Board for Vocational Education; name change in 1978 to Tri-Cities State Technical Institute;  became part of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee in 1983; name change to Northeast State Technical Community College in 1990; name change to Northeast State Community College in 2009    http://www.nstcc.cc.tn.us/
Paris College    Paris    Tennessee    
    
    
    founded by Edwin H. Randle who previously had served as president of Caledonia College    
Pellissippi State Technical Community College    Knoxville    Tennessee    1974    
    state supported    founding as State Technical Institute at Knoxville; Tennessee Board of Regents approved the expansion of the mission to include college transfer programs and name changed to Pellissippi State Technical Community College in 1988; name change to Pellissippi State Community College in 2009    http://www.pstcc.edu/about_pstcc/index.html
People's College    Pikeville    Tennessee    
    
    
    …eight miles from Pikeville?    http://www.rootsweb.com/~gamacon/newspapers/CV/cv1911pg11.htm
www.segenealogy.com/tennessee/tn_county/ble.htm
Pure Fountain College    Smithville    Tennessee    1883    
    
    three story brick building with five story tower; burned in 1889; site used for high school at Smithville prior to consolidation in 1963    www.tngenweb.org/dekalb/gdsphist.htm
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/3627/purefountain.htm
Radnor College    Nashville    Tennessee    1905    1914    Cumberland Presbyterian    college for young women founded by A.N. Eshman; it gained national attention for its complimentary educational tours for students; after the school closed a printing plant on campus served until 1924 as the Cumberland Presbyterian Publishing House; in 1921, a spectacular fire claimed the college’s main building    http://www.nashville.gov/mhc/education.htm
Roger Williams University    Nashville    Tennessee    
    1929    Baptist    
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/haley/menu.html
Rogersville Synodical College    Rogersville    Tennessee    1849    
    Presbyterian    founded by Odd Fellows    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Routt College    Jacksonville    Tennessee    1905    
    
    
    www.routtcatholic.com/History.htm
Ruskin Cave College    Ruskin    Tennessee    1904    1922    
    
    www.trevecca.edu/about/history
Saint Agnes College    Memphis    Tennessee    
    
    Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine    predecessor of Siena College    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Scarritt College of Christian Workers    Nashville    Tennessee    1892    1988    Methodist Episcopal    Scarritt Bible and Training Institute established in Kansas City, MO; moved to Nashville in 1924 as Scarritt College for Christian Workers; from 1980-1988 known as Scarritt Graduate School; Women's Division of United Methodist Church reclaimed ownership when institution closed    
http://www.scarrittbennett.org/about/history.aspx
Scotts Hill College    Scotts Hill    Tennessee    1894    1904    
    
    http://henderson-lea.hc.k12tn.net/donahue/he-stuff/shcolreu.htm
Sequachie College    
    Tennessee    1858    1887    
    
    http://travel.nostalgiaville.com/Tennessee/Bledsoe/bledsoe%20county/bledso89.gif
www.segenealogy.com/tennessee/tn_county/ble.htm
Shelby Medical College    Nashville    Tennessee    1857    
    
    
    www.collphyphil.org/FIND_AID/hist/histlmh1.htm
Siena College    Memphis    Tennessee    1922    1970    Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine    successor of Saint Agnes College    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Soule College    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1825    1916    Methodist Episcopal    organized as "The Female Academy"; named for Bishop Soule of the ME Church in 1852; clsoed during Civil War when buildings were damaged; reopened after the war    www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/8859/soule_college.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Southern Junior College    Collegedale    Tennessee    1892    
    Seventh-Day Adventist    founded as Graysville Academy, became Southern Industrial School in 1896, Southern Training School in 1901, Southern Junior College in 1916, Southern Missionary College in 1944, Southern College of Seventh-day Adventists in 1982, and Southern Adventist University in 1996    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://www.southern.edu/?page=about_us/history.php
Southern Normal University    Huntingdon    Tennessee    1890    1908    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tncarrol/photos/SNU.htm
Southern Tennessee Normal College    Essary Springs    Tennessee    1889    
    
    
    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949.
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Southern Y.M.C.A. College    Nashville    Tennessee    1919    1936    
    
    www.ymca.net/about/cont/history.htm
Southwest Tennessee Community College    Memphis    Tennessee    2000    
    state supported    formed through consolidation on July 1, 2000 of Shelby State Community College (founded in 1972) and the State Technical Institute at Memphis (founded in 1968)    http://www.southwest.tn.edu/
Southwestern Baptist University    Jackson    Tennessee    1874    
    Tennessee Baptist Convention    predecessor to present day Union University; name changed to Union soon after 1907; new charter in 1925 transfering rights from Tennesseee Baptist Convention to Union trustees    www.uu.edu/union/about/history.htm
www.henderson-lea.hc.k12n.net/donahue/madison/gsmed.htm
Southwestern Presbyterian University    Clarksville    Tennessee    1874    
    Presbyterian    name changed to Southwestern Presbyterian in 1924 and institution moved to Memphis, TN; predecessor to Rhodes College; buildings in Clarksville served as foundation for Austin Peay Normal School when it was founded in 1927 as a two-year junior college and teacher training institution    www.rhodes.edu/Academics/CollegeCatalogue/GeneralInformation/HistoricalSummary/index.cfm
http://text.apsu.edu/bulletin/history.htm
Southwestern University    Jackson    Tennessee    1874    
    Baptist    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Steed College    Johnson City    Tennessee    1940    1982    
    
    
Stewart College    Clarksville    Tennessee    
    
    
    later Southwestern Presbyterian University and still later, Southwestern-at-Memphis    http://www.tngenweb.org/montgomery/wmstewarthis.html
Stonewall  College    Cross Plains    Tennessee    1877    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Strawberry Plains College    Jefferson County    Tennessee    1848    1865    
    
    http://208.183.128.3/rss-history/spcollege.htm
Swift Memorial College    Rogersville    Tennessee    1883    1955    Presbyterian    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
www.tnstate.edu/library/digital/swift.htm
www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM67KE
Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State Normal College    Nashville    Tennessee    1912    
    
    became Tennessee State University in 1969; merged with University of Tennessee: Nashville in 1979    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Tennessee Christian College    Jonesboro    Tennessee    1915    
    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Tennessee College for Women    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1907    1946    Baptist    moved to Lebanon, TN to become part of Cumberland University    www.belmont.edu/hr/look.html
Tennessee Conference Female College    Columbia    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Tennessee Female College    Franklin    Tennessee    1857    
    Methodist Episcopal Church South    closed during Civil War, reopening in 1865; property sold and operated under several different administrators; burned in 1886 and rebuilt    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Tennessee Junior College    Martin    Tennessee    1927    
    
    name change to University of Tennessee, Martin in 1951    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Tennessee Manual Labor College    Ebenezer    Tennessee    1867    1872    Disciples of Christ    three hundred acres of land purchased for establishing an institution for freedmen; enrollment of as many as 180 students; closed due to financial scandal by corrupt development agents    www.tnstate.edu/library/digital/lowery.htm
Tennessee Manual University    Nashville    Tennessee    1868    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Terrill College    Decherd    Tennessee    1889    1906    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Tomlinson College    Cleveland    Tennessee    
    1992    
    lost SACS accreditation in 1992    
Turner College    Shelbyville    Tennessee    1886    
    African Methodist Episcopal    The Tennessee Conference in 1885, Bishop Turner presiding, passed a
 resolution to establish the school. Revs. E. Tyree (now bishop), T. B.
Caldwell and G. W. Bryant were the committee to locate the school,
which was first called Shelbyville High School. The first principal was
Rev. C. S. Bowman, who also pastored the Shelbyville A. M. E. Church.
Succeeding presidents have been Revs B. A. J. Nixon, W. H. Shelby,
C. H. Boone, J. H. Boone, and the present incumbent, Rev. J. A. Jones.
In 1896 the institution was chartered as "Turner Normal and Industrial
Institute," which has later been changed to "Turner College." The
departments are theological, English, normal, college, preparatory,
commercial, music, sewing and millinery. There were last year 137
students and 9 teachers. There have been 33 graduates from the
normal course. Among the distinguished graduates is Rev. H. L.
P. Jones, pastor of St. Paul Church, Nashville, Tenn. The property
 consists of 2 acres and 3 buildings, valued at $30,000. The
institution is supported by the Tennessee conferences.
Its income is about $5,000 per year. (Wright)    http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/wright/ill366.html
http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/wright/wright.html
U. S. Grant University    Athens / Chattanooga    Tennessee    1889    
    Methodist    formed by consolidation of Chattanooga and Grant Memorial University; predecessor of Tennessee Wesleyan College    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Union University    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1848    1873    Baptist General Assembly of Tennessee    closed from 1859 until 1868, then reopened briefly before closing permanently in 1873; considered a predecessor of Union University in Jackson, TN;    www.uu.edu/about/
University of Dixie    Cookeville    Tennessee    1909    
    
    name change to Tennessee Polytechnic Institute in 1915; to Tennessee Technological University in 1965    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
University of Nashville     Nashville    Tennessee    
    
    
    closed by Peabody Board of Trust for founding of Peabody College    http://web.utk.edu/~ddonahue/turner/gt-c13c.htm
Mathis, David. Image, Institution, and Leadership: Philip Lindsley and the Modern University Presidency, 1825-1850. Ed.D. dissertation. 1985.
http://www.bonps.org/tour/westernmilitary.htm
Videmour College    Warren County    Tennessee    
    
    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~tnwcogs/docs/goodsp02.html
Walden University    Nashville    Tennessee    1900    1925    Methodist    institution started to decline, particularly after depression of 1914-15; medical department formed a separate Meharry Medical College in 1915; Walden renamed Walden College in 1922 and moved to new site operating as a junior college until financial difficulties forced closure; campus vacant until 1935 when leased by Trevecca Nazarene College     http://www.tnstate.edu/library/digital/walden.htm
http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/haley/menu.html
Ward-Belmont    Nashville    Tennessee    1913    1951    
    successor to Ward Seminary and Belmont Junior College; indebtedness assumed by Tennessee Baptist Convention which opend Belmont College    http://www.belmont.edu/hr/look.html
Washington and Tusculum College    Greeneville    Tennessee    1908    1912    
    institutions merge for a brief time before parting    http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~bridgett/tnchron.htm
http://ajmuseum.tusculum.edu/tcarchives.html
Washington College    Washington College    Tennessee    1780    
    
    founded as an academy in 1780; continues today offering high school courses as  Washington College Academy    www.wca-pvt.com/history.htm
Waters and Walling College    McMinnville    Tennessee    1874    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    William Davis Carnes selected as president in 1878, but resigned before dying November 1879; evolved into the McMinnville public school after 1886    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.therestorationmovement.com/carnes,wd.htm
www.tngennet.org/warren/gdsp-dex.htm
West Tennessee Christian College    Henderson    Tennessee    1869    
    Churches of Christ    founded as Henderson Male and Female Institute, became Henderson Masonic Male and Female Institute in 1877, became West Tennessee Christian College in 1885, Georgia Robertson Christian College in 1897, National Teachers Normal and Business College in 1907, and after 1919 Freed-Hardeman College; (some references refer to Georgia Roberson College)    Young, M. Norvel.  A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949.
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
www.fcoc.com/history/barret.htm
www.rootsweb.com/~tncheste/goodspeed.shtml
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
West Tennessee College    Murfreesboro    Tennessee    1844    1874    Baptist    reopened by Southwestern Baptist University after 1874; Blackmar gives location as Jackson    www.uu.edu/about/
www.henderson-lea.hc.k12n.net/donahue/madison/gsmed.htm
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Blackmar, Frank W. "The History of Federal and State Aid to Higher Education in the United States," in Herbert B. Adams, ed.  Contributions to American Educational History. 1890.
West Tennessee State Teachers College    Memphis    Tennessee    1912    
    state supported    founded as West Tennessee Normal School; became West Tennessee State Teachers College in 1925; name change to Memphis State College in 1941, to Memphis State University in 1957 and to the University of Memphis in 1994    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Wirt College    near Hartsville    Tennessee    1838    
    
    founded as Wirt Seminary; later known as Enon College    Burke, Colin B.  American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
www.hartsvilletrousdale.com/History.html
Woodbury College    Woodbury    Tennessee    1855    
    Baptist    
    http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cannonco/cancogsp.html
Y.M.C.A. Graduate School    Nashville    Tennessee    1927    1936    
    building purchased by Vanderbilt    www.vanderbilt.edu/News/register/Oct16_01/story12.html
Zion College    Chattanooga    Tennessee    
    
    
    later Chattanooga City College, one of the predecessors of the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga    

    
    
    
    
    
    
last update:    10/3/2011    
    
    
    
    
    
invisible hit counter

    
    
    
    
    
    
    

    
    
    
    
    
    




    
    

    
    
    
    
    
    



Please Wait... processing