WE ARE ABOUT TRUST AND TRANSPARENCY! SEE OUR REVIEWS. BUY THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE DIPLOMAS, TRANSCRIPTS & DEGREES

Article - Colleges in South Carolina that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
Adger College    Walhalla    South Carolina    1877    1887    
    
American Management College    Spartanburg    South Carolina    
    1989    
    previously associated with Limestone College; records were at Bristol University, TN, since also closed    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Anderson College for Women    Anderson    South Carolina    1910    
    Baptist    The South Carolina Baptist Convention nominated a group of trustees, and Anderson College was granted a charter in 1911 by the South Carolina General Assembly; in 1912, the College opened its doors and operated as a four-year college for women;  in 1929, the South Carolina Baptist Convention approved the institution's transition to a junior college, the first in the state; became a coeducational institution in 1930; in December, 1989, the Board of Trustees voted to return the College to its status as a four-year institution, beginning with the fall semester of 1991; name change to Anderson University in 2006; see also entry for Johnson Female University    www.andersonuniversity.edu
Baptist College    Charleston    South Carolina    1964    
    Baptist    name changed to Charleston Southern University in 1990    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Barhamville School    Columbia    South Carolina    1817    1861    
    collegiate program after 1832    Blandin. History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Beaufort College    Beaufort    South Carolina    1796    1861    
    The school opened at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, then reopened in 1820 at Newcastle and Craven Sts. The college closed its doors in 1861 when Beaufort was occupied by Federal troops. For the rest of the Civil War it was a school for former slaves and part of a hospital complex serving both freedmen and Federal soldiers. It also served as headquarters for the Freedmen's Bureau during Reconstruction, then became a public elementary school in 1909. In 1959 the University of S.C. acquired this building for its new Beaufort campus.    http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=8705
Beaufort Technical College    Beaufort    South Carolina    1967    
    state supported    founded as the Beaufort Area Trade School; in 1969, the South Carolina General Assembly transfers the administration from the Department of Education to the State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education (SBTCE); in 1972 becomes part of the State Technical College System; name change in 1988 to Technical College of the Lowcountry; see also entry for Mather Junior College    http://www.tcl.edu/About_Us/mission.asp
Bettis Junior College    Trenton    South Carolina    
    1951    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Blanton's College    Spartanburg    South Carolina    
    1992    
    CareerCom Junior College from 1986-1988; then Mansfield Business College in 1988; Blanton's College after 1989    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Brainerd Junior College    Chester    South Carolina    
    1939    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Brewer Junior College    Greenwood    South Carolina    
    1935    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Central Wesleyan College    Central    South Carolina    1906    
    
    founded as Wesleyan Methodist Bible Institute; name change to Wesleyan Methodist College in 1909; to Central Wesleyan College in 1959; to Southern Wesleyan College in 1994 and to Southern Wesleyan University in 1995    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Chesterfield-Marlboro Technical College    Cheraw    South Carolina    1968    
    state supported    founded as Chesterfield-Marlboro Technical Education Center in 1968; became Chesterfield-Marlboro Technical College in 1974; name was changed to Northeastern Technical College in 2000;    www.netc.edu
Chicora College for Women    Columbia; Greenville    South Carolina    1890    1930    
    consolidated with Queens College, Charlotte, NC    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Clinton College    Clinton    South Carolina    1880    
    Presbyterian    became Presbyterian College of South Carolina in 1890    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978
Cokesbury (Masonic) Female College    Cokesbury    South Carolina    1854    1876    
    Cokesbury College was started in 1854 by Bascomb Lodge No. 80, Ancient Free Masons and was chartered as the Masonic Female Institute of South Carolina. The institution closed in 1874.  The Cokesbury Presbyterian Church ultimately acquired the property and the Conference School moved to the College Building. Cokesbury Elementary School operating until June 1954 in the building.     
Columbia Bible College    Columbia    South Carolina    
    
    name changed to Columbia International University in 1994    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Columbia Female College    Columbia    South Carolina    1857    a1888    
    
Confederate College    Charleston    South Carolina    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Coulter Memorial Academy Junior College    Cheraw    South Carolina    
    1948    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Draughton's Practical Business College    Greenville    South Carolina    b1915    
    
    
Due West Female College    Due West    South Carolina    1859    1928    
    merged with Erskine College    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Friendship College    Rock Hill    South Carolina    1891    1982    Baptist    Friendship Junior College was founded as Friendship Institute; the first class, with an enrollment of eleven pupils, was held October 11, 1891. Rev. Mansel P. Hall was the teacher; when the Office of the President was later was established, he was elected to fill it. He served in
this position until his death in 1922. Although the purpose for founding Friendship Institute was to train preachers and teachers, the Institute was by necessity an elementary school. Since there were no public schools for Negro's in Rock Hill until 1920, friendship served as an elementary school for the city as well as for the county. High school grades were gradually added as the needs demanded, and in 1906, Friendship Institute was chartered as Friendship Normal and Industrial College. After a curriculum for ministerial training was organized, the Institute gave emphasis to the purpose for which it was founded- training preachers and teachers. A movement to reorganized Friendship as a junior college was begun 1933. A gradual elimination of the elementary grades was begun then and competed in 1938. An elimination of the high school department was begun in 1945 and completed in 1949, with the exception of the twelfth grade, which continued until 1951. A new program in Management Training with night as well as day classes was inaugurated in November 1974. In 1978, Friendship College was approved by the South Carolina Department of Education to offer Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business Administration and Economics. The College closed its doors in 1981 after an investigation revealed financial mismanagement and misappropriation of funds.      www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Greenville (Baptist) Female College    Greenville    South Carolina    1854    1937    
    consolidated with Furman University    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Harbison Agricultural College    Abbeville / Irmo    South Carolina    1882    1956    Presbyterian    moved to Irmo in 1911    http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/1997/pict97.html
Johnson Female University    Anderson    South Carolina    1848    1911    Baptist    predecesor to Anderson University; founded as Johnson Female Seminary Reverend William B. Johnson, a Baptist who was the first president of the Southern Baptist Convention; closed during Civil War and then operated from 1856-1863 as Johnson Female University; in 1866, the Collegiate Institute was founded and continued for twenty years; the Patrick Military Institute followed from 1887 until the turn of the century; the site finally became the site of the University Hospital in the 1920s    Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
www.andersonuniversity.edu
King Memorial College    Columbia    South Carolina    1976    1978    
    
Laurensville Female College    Laurensville    South Carolina    b1858    
    
    
Leesville College    Leesville    South Carolina    1890    1930s    
    
Limestone College    Gaffney    South Carolina    1845    
    Baptist    established as Limestone Spring School; Cooper-Limestone Institute after 1881; name changed to Limestone College in 1899; control by South Carolina Baptist Convention in 1921; transfer to private control after 1942    http://www.limestone.edu/history.htm
Mac-Feat Bowne Business College    Columbia    South Carolina    b1917    
    
    
Mansfield Business College    Charleston / Columbia    South Carolina    
    1993    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Masonic Female College    Cokesbury    South Carolina    1853    1874    
    
Mather Junior College    Beaufort    South Carolina    1868    1968    Baptist Home Missionary Society    founded as Penn School to educated former slaves; in 1868, became Mather School for daughters of former slaves; property deeded to New England Baptist Missionary Society in 1881; high school program approved in 1932 and junior college program in 1954; The Board of Trustees of the Mather School, in 1967, trustees of the college and the American Baptist Home Mission Societies vote to offer the campus and buildings to the South Carolina State Board of Education for use as a State Area Trade School     www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Mount Zion College    Winnsboro    South Carolina    1777    a1942    
    
Norrell College    Seneca    South Carolina    b1914    
    
    
North Greenville Baptist Academy & Junior College    Tigerville    South Carolina    1915    a1941    
    
Orangeburg Female College    Orangeburg    South Carolina    1869    
    
    
Our Lady of Mercy Junior College    Charleston    South Carolina    
    1963    Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm;
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Palmer College    Charleston    South Carolina    1954    
    
    merged with Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Technical Education Center    
www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Perry Business College    Greenville    South Carolina    b1914    
    
    
Phillips College    Columbia /
N. Charleston / Spartanburg / Greenville    South Carolina    
    1991    
    formerly Rutledge College; name changed to Phillips after 1989    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Presbyterian Seminary    Anderson    South Carolina    1835    1860's    Presbyterian    charter amended in 1840 to allow collegiate program; closed during Civil War    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Reidville Female College    Reidville    South Carolina    1857    
    
    
Rose Hill College    Aiken    South Carolina    
    1998    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Rutledge College    Columbia /
N. Charleston / Spartanburg / Greenville    South Carolina    b1953    1989    
    later Phillips College    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Saint John's College    Spartanburg    South Carolina    1852    1868    Episcopal    property sold to Converse College in 1889    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Saint Mary's College    Columbia    South Carolina    1857    1865    Catholic    destroyed in the burning of Columbia    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
www.famousamericans.net/jeremiahjosephoconneli/
Seneca Junior College    Seneca    South Carolina    1899    1939    Seneca River Baptist Association    founded as Seneca Institute; name changed to Seneca Junior College May 1926; Dr. John J. Starks served as first principal from 1899-1912 before serving as president of Morris College and Benedict College    http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=27333
Solomons Crossroad College    Hampton    South Carolina    1899    1928    
    
South Carolina College    Columbia    South Carolina    1801    
    
    name change to University of South Carolina in 1866; to South Carolina College of Agriculture & Mechanical Art in 1880; to South Carolina College; closed from 1877-1880; reopened and known as University of South Carolina since 1906    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Spartanburg Female College    Spartanburg    South Carolina    1855    1871    
    
State College of Agriculture & Mechanics    Orangeburg    South Carolina    1872    
    state supported    established as a college of Claflin University; separated in 1896 becoming eventually South Carolina State University    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Sterling Industrial College    Greenville    South Carolina    b1899    
    
    
Stratford College    Greenville    South Carolina    
    1989    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Summerland College for Women    Batesburg    South Carolina    1912    1930    South Carolina Synod of Evangelical Lutheran Church    consolidated with Newberry College; Solberg gives dates as 1913-1926 and indicates awarded 143 bachelor's degrees    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
Voorhees College    Denmark    South Carolina    1897    
    Episcopal    founded as Denmark Industrial School; changed name to Voorhees Industrial School in 1902; offered first post-secondary instruction in 1929 and changed name to Voorhees Normal and Industrial School; name change to Voorhees School and Junior College in 1947 and to Voorhees College in 1862; awarded first baccalaureate degree in 1969    www.voorhees.edu
Wade Hampton College    Florence    South Carolina    
    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Walhalla Female College    Walhalla    South Carolina    1872    1885    
    
Watterson College    Charleston    South Carolina    
    1993    
    www.che400.state.sc.us/web/Academic/SCHOOLS%20NO%20LONGER%20OPERATING%20IN%20SC.htm
Williamston Female College    Williamston    South Carolina    1871    1904    
    name change to Lander College with move to Greenwood, SC in 1904    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Woman's College of Due West    Due West    South Carolina    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Yorkville Female College    York    South Carolina    1854    a1880    
    

    
    
    
last update:    4/16/2010    
    
    
    
    
web stats script

    
    
    
    
    





Please Wait... processing