WE ARE ABOUT TRUST AND TRANSPARENCY! SEE OUR REVIEWS. BUY THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE DIPLOMAS, TRANSCRIPTS & DEGREES

Article - Colleges in North Carolina that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
Agricultural & Mechanical College for the Colored Race    Raleigh    North Carolina    1891    
    state supported    moved to Greensboro, NC in 1893; name change to Agricultural & Technical College of North Carolina in 1915; to North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University in 1967    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
American College    Charlotte    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Asheville Female College    Asheville    North Carolina    1842    
    
    initially founded as Asheville Female Seminary; later, Holston Conference Female College, and still later known as Asheville College; Asheville College admitted to state system in 1960's    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Asheville-Biltmore College    Asheville    North Carolina    1936    
    
    established as Biltmore Junior College in 1927; became Biltmore College in 1934, Asheville-Biltmore College in 1936; entered North Caroline system as first state-supported community college in 1957; in 1969 became University of North Carolina at Asheville    www.unca.edu/welcome/about.html
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Asheville Normal and Teachers College    Asheville    North Carolina    1887    
    Presbyterian    opened as Home Industrial School with support from Board of National Missions of the Presbyterian Church; became Asheville Normal and Teachers College in 1931; after closing, the property served as Memorial Mission Hospital; alumni records maintained by Warren Wilson College     http://www.warren-wilson.edu/~advancement/alumni_relations.php
Atlantic Christian College    Wilson    North Carolina    1902    
    Disciples of Christ    now Barton College, name changed in 1990    http://www.barton.edu/
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Baptist Female University    Raleigh    North Carolina    1838    
    Baptist    name changed in 1904 to Baptist University for Women and in 1909 to Meredith College    www.meredith.edu/inaugural/history.htm
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes. 1978.
Barber Memorial College    Concord    North Carolina    1930    
    
    merged with Scotia Women's College in 1916 to form Barber-Scotia College    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Barber Scotia College    Concord    North Carolina    1916    
    Presbyterian    lost SACS accreditation in 2004 and announced suspention of classes after 2004-05 academic year; reopened fall 2008    http://www.b-sc.edu/
Bennett College    Greensboro    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/EraOfProgress/bennett.gif
Biddle University    Charlotte    North Carolina    1876    
    
    initially presidents and majority of faculty were white; Daniel J. Sanders in 1891 was the first black president; name later changed to Johnson C. Smith University in 1923    pictures of main building and campus at
libweb.uncc.edu/archives/landmarks/biddle.htm
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes. 1978.
http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/ncinstruction1898/ncinstruction1898.html
Biscayne Southern College    Concord, Charlotte, Gastonia    North Carolina    1892    2002    
    
    http://www.archives.ncdcr.gov/default.htm
Black Mountain College    Black Mountain    North Carolina    1933    1956    
    organization and curriculum based on educational theories of John Rice combining liberal and fine arts;    www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
http://www.main.nc.us/bmc/bmcref/bmc.html
www.bmcproject.org
Blanton's Junior College    Asheville    North Carolina    
    1992    
    
    www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
http://closedcollege.bizland.com
Boiling Springs College    Boiling Springs    North Carolina    1928    
    
    Gardner-Webb College after 1942     http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Brian Business College    Asheboro    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Bricks Junior College    Enfield    North Carolina    
    
    Northern Congregational    
    http://www.ucc.org/aboutus/histories/chap2.htm
Buncombe County Junior College    Asheville    North Carolina    1927    
    
    name change to Biltmore Junior College in 1930; to Asheville-Biltmore College in 1936; became first two-year institution to become state-supported community college; name change to University of North Carolina at Asheville in 1969    www.unca.edu/welcome/about.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Burnsville Baptist College    Burnsville    North Carolina    
    
    Baptist    
    http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nc/wnc17.htm
Carolina Business College    Charlotte    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Carolina College for Young Women    Maxton    North Carolina    1912    1926    Methodist    later sold and opened as Presbyterian Junior College in 1929    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Carolina Female College    Ansonville    North Carolina    1849    1868    
    
    http://www.co.anson.nc.us/ansonco/anson2.htm
Carolina New College    Burnsville    North Carolina    
    
    
    successor to Stanley McCormick School    http://www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/ref/s75/s75Ca.html
Carver College    Charlotte    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Charlotte Business College    Charlotte    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Charlotte College    Charlotte    North Carolina    1949    
    
    admitted to NC State System in 1965 as University of North Carolina at Charlotte    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Charlotte Commercial College    Charlotte    North Carolina    1891    
    
    L.H. Jackson and R.F. Day were owners; in 1896 moved to the Y.M.C.A.    http://www.cmstory.org/history/hornets/educate.htm
Cherokee Indian Normal School    Pembroke    North Carolina    1887    
    state supported    now University of North Carolina at Pembroke; from 1939-1953 the only four-year college for Indians in the nation    www.uncp.edu/uncp/uncp_history.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Chowan Baptist Female Institute    Murfreesboro    North Carolina    1848    
    Baptist    name change to Chowan College in 1910 and to Chowan University in 2006    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
www.chowan.edu
Claremont College    Hickory    North Carolina    1880    1915    Reformed (German) Church    property acquired by Hickory Public Schools in 1916    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
www.ccel.org/s/schaff/encyc/encyc09/htm/iv.vii.cvi.htm
www.ci.hickory.nc.us/library/claremt.html
College of St. Mary of Help    Belmont    North Carolina    1876    
    Benedictine    name changed to Belmont Abbey in 1918 (Brenner gives date of 1913)    www.famousamericans.net/jeremiahjosephoconneli/
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Concord Female Presbyterian College    Statesville    North Carolina    1854    
    Presbyterian    
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/report1869/report1869.html
Concordia College    Conover    North Carolina    1877    1933    Evangelical Lutheran Church    sponsored by Tennessee Synod until 1892 when control was assumed by Missouri Synod; Solberg gives 1935 as closing date    www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/concord1.htm
www.nclutheran.org/resources/history.html
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
Crescent Academy and Business College    Crescent    North Carolina    1896    1913    
    
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/ncinstruction1898/ncinstruction1898.html

Source - Tenth Annual Catalogue of Crescent Academy and Business College, Crescent, NC  1905-1906 Newton N.C. The News Publishing Co. 1906.  
Croft Business College    Durham, Greensboro    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Davenport College for Young Women    Lenoir    North Carolina    1858    1933    Methodist    Report of Supt. Of Public Instruction gives 1856 as founding date; merged with Greensboro College    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/report1869/report1869.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
David Caldwell's Log College    
    North Carolina    1766    1822    
    
    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Draughon's Business College    Winston-Salem    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Durham Business College    Durham    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
East Coast Bible College    Charlotte    North Carolina    1976    1999    Church of God    merged with Lee University, Cleveland, TN    The Chronicle of Higher Education, June 14, 2002
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Edenborough Medical College    Raeford    North Carolina    1867    1877    
    
    http://www.ncmarkers.com/print_marker.aspx?id=I-41
Edenton Normal & Industrial College    Edenton    North Carolina    1895    1928    African Methodist Episcopal Zion    Charles M. Gaines, president with 7 teachers and 126 students in 1908    http://www.co.chowan.nc.us/aainside.pdf
http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/harris/harris.html
http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/EraOfProgress/edentonnormal.gif
Edgeworth Female Seminary    Greensboro    North Carolina    1840    1871    
    operated a collegiate course after 1845; closed during Civil War; reopened from 1862-1868; burned in 1872    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Edwards Military College?    
    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Elizabeth College    Charlotte    North Carolina    1897    1915    Lutheran    The college was the fulfillment of a dream of Dr. Charles Banks King to establish a grade "A" college under the auspices of the Lutheran church. He had the good will and financial support of his father-in-law, Mr. Gerard Snowden Watts, wealthy tobacconist of Baltimore. There was great elation, according to the Charlotte Observer for May 28, 1896, because of the selection of Charlotte as the site of the new college. Charlotte people provided $9,332 cash as an inducement, and the Highland Park Land and Improvement Company donated $3,600 and twenty acres for a campus, to top the offer made by Columbia, S. C.  In an article about "Early Schools and Education in Charlotte" in the Charlotte Observer for June 18, 1933, Mrs. J. A. Yarbrough recalled that "In the fall of 1896, the doors of Elizabeth College, under the presidency of Dr. Charles Banks King, were opened. The efforts of administration and faculty met with a ready response in the hearts and minds of parents of young girls. The handsome Gerard Conservatory of Music was presented by Mrs. King's father, Mr. Gerard Snowden Watts King, the
son of Dr. and Mrs. King. Ill health influenced Dr. King to move the college
to Salem, Virginia (1915) where its name was retained after consolidation
with Roanoke College for Women. In 1921 Elizabeth College in Virginia
was burned to the ground and all records destroyed.    www.nclutheran.org/resources/history.html
www.cmhpf.org/essays/elizabeth.html
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
http://www.cmstory.org/history/hornets/educate.htm
Elizabeth City State Teachers College    Elizabeth City    North Carolina    1891    
    state supported    founded as Elizabeth City State Colored Normal School; name change to Elizabeth City State Teachers College in 1939; to Elizabeth City State College in 1963; to Elizabeth City State University in 1969;    http://www.ecsu.edu/
Evans College of Commerce    Concord, Gastonia    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Fayetteville Female Seminary    Fayetteville    North Carolina    1854    
    
    first president was a prominent minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church South; closed during Civil War and never reopened    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Flora MacDonald College    Red Springs    North Carolina    1896    1961    Presbyterian    name changed in 1903 to Southern Presbyterian College and Conservatory of Music and back to Flora Macdonald College in 1916; merged with Presbyterian Junior College to become Saint Andrews College at Laurinburg    www.floramacdonald.org/history/history.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Floral College    Maxton    North Carolina    1847    1887    Presbyterian    
    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Frankinton Christian College    Frankinton    North Carolina    1873    1930    American Christian Church    operated as a college after 1904    www.ucc.org/aboutus/histories/chap2.htm
Gaston College    
    North Carolina    1887    1905    Lutheran    
    www.nclutheran.org/resources/history.html
http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Goldsboro Female College    
    North Carolina    1854    1871    
    
    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Graham College    Graham    North Carolina    1859    1863    Christian Church    closed during Civil War    
Graham Normal College    Graham    North Carolina    1881    1892    Christian Church    a high school was operated on the former Graham College site following the Civil War; the name was changed to Graham Normal in 1881; destroyed by fire in 1892; considered a predecessor to Elon College    Stokes, Durward T.  Elon College: Its History and Traditions.  Elon College Alumni Association, 1982.
Greensboro Evening College    Greensboro    North Carolina    
    1953    
    merged with Guilford College    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Greensboro Female College    Greensboro    North Carolina    1838    1903    Methodist Episcopal Church    closed after fire in 1863; reopened in 1873    http://libweb.uncc.edu/archives/ncscenes/an11-7u.JPG
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Guilford College    Greensboro    North Carolina    1837    
    Religious Society of Friends    founded as New Garden Boarding School; name change to Guildford College in 1888    http://www.guilford.edu/
Hamilton College    Charlotte, Gastonia    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Hamlet Hospital School of Nursing    
    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Hardbarger Junior College of Business    Raleigh    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
High Point College    High Point    North Carolina    1924    
    Methodist Protestant    name change to High Point University in 1991    http://www.highpoint.edu
High Point Female College    High Point    North Carolina    1889    1893    
    successor to Thomasville Female College    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Highland College    Hickory    North Carolina    1891    
    North Carolina Synod of Lutheran Church in America    name changed to Lenoir Rhyne College in 1923    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Holman Christian University    Black Mountain    North Carolina    1905    
    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Immanuel Lutheran College    Greensboro    North Carolina    1903    1960    Lutheran    founded in Concord, moved two years later to Greensboro; N.J. Bakke, president with 8 teachers and 78 students in 1908; after 1930 operated as coeducational junior college    www.greensborohistory.org/archives/docs.htm
www.carolinacuzins.org/PC-Immanuelcoll.html
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/EraOfProgress/immanuellutheran.gif
Industrial Christian College    Dawson    North Carolina    1907    
    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Jamestown Female College    Jamestown    North Carolina    1859    1861    Methodist Protestant    four-story brick building, destroyed by fire and never rebuilt    
Jefferson College    Greensboro    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
John Wesley College    Greensboro    North Carolina    1903    
    
    founded as the Greensboro Bible and Training School; in 1913 the name was changed The Greensboro Bible and Literary School; closed in 1931; reopened under new name of People’s Bible School on January 25, 1932 in the same facilities with many of the same teachers and students; in 1936 the college moved to the Grove Park area of Greensboro; name change in 1949 to People’s Bible College and then to John Wesley College in 1956; the institution moved to its present site in 1980; name change to Laurel University in 2011    www.laureluniversity.edu
Judson College    Hendersonville    North Carolina    1882    1892    
    
    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Kings College    
    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Kinston College    
    North Carolina    1882    1891    
    
    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Kittrell College    Kittrell    North Carolina    1886    1974    African Methodist Episcopal    incorporated by the legislature of North Carolina, March 7, 1887. The North Carolina Conference, presided over by Bishop Dickerson, at its session in 1885, had authorized the establishment of the school and purchase of property. Leading spirit was Rev. R. H. W. Leak. The first teachers were Prof. B. B. Goines (principal), Mrs. M. A. Goines (matron), and Prof. J. R. Hawkins (business manager). In 1888 the Virginia Conference agreed to aid Kittrell. The following have served as principals since Prof. Goines: J. R. Hawkins, C. G. O'Kelly, J. S. Williams, P. W. Dawkins, John L. Wheeler, W. H. Giles, D. J. Jordan and C. G. O'Kelly (second time), but to no man does it owe more than to Prof. Hawkins, who has been in intimate touch with it since the beginning. The courses given are theological, classical, academic, normal, grammar, musical and commercial. Last year there were 311 pupils and 12 teachers; 290 have graduated, among whom are Rev. G. W. Adams, Drs. L. E. McCauley, S. L. Warren and J. L. Mills, J. M. Avery and W. S. King. There are 6 buildings, 62 acres of land, the property valued at $75,000. The income is
 about $15,000 per year, the term, eight months. (Wright)    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/wright/wright.html
http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/EraOfProgress/kittrell.pdf
Lafayette College    Fayetteville    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Lenoir-Rhyne College    Hickory    North Carolina    1891    
    North Carolina Synod of Lutheran Church in America    see also entry for Highland College; name changed to Lenoir-Rhyne University August 2008    http://www.lrc.edu/
Linwood Female College    Gastonia    North Carolina    1884    1921    Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church    founded as a school for girls; later known as Jones Seminary; operated as Linwood Female College from 1904-1915; became co-ed and the name was changed to Linwood College    Patterson, Homer L., ed.  Patterson's American Educational Directory, Vol. XVII.  Chicago: American Education Company, 1920.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linwood_Female_College
Littleton Colege    Littleton    North Carolina    1882    1919    
    
    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Louisburg Female College    Louisburg    North Carolina    1826    
    
    
    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Mecklenburg Female College    Charlotte    North Carolina    1867    1869    
    The N. C. Military Institute closed at the start of the Civil War and was used as a hospital during the war.  It was later occupied by the Mecklenburg Female College. Rev. A. G. Stacy was the founder and president during its brief existence. An advertisement for this school states that there were 155 students from five states who paid $103 per term of 10 months for board, tuition, fuel, light, and contingent fees. The only remaining source of information concerning this college is a complete set of four issues of a magazine entitled, The Carrier Dove or Mecklenburg Female College Magazine.    http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/mecklenbug/mecklenburg.html
http://www.cmstory.org/history/hornets/educate.htm
Mitchell College    Statesville    North Carolina    1856    
    
    
    
Mitchell Junior College    Misenheimer    North Carolina    1928    
    Methodist    established as Oberlin Home and School in 1885 near Lenoir, NC; became Mitchell Home School in 1903; moved to Misenheimer in 1910, became Mitchell Junior College in 1928, Pfeiffer Junior College in 1935 and name changed to Pfeiffer College in 1954    www.pfeiffer.edu/About/history.cfm
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Methodist College    Fayetteville    North Carolina    1960    
    North Carolina Conference of the Methodist Church    name changed to Methodist University in 2006    http://www.methodist.edu/Home/history.htm
Mount Pleasant Female Seminary    Mount Pleasant    North Carolina    1859    
    North Carolina Synod of Evangelical Luteran Church in America    later known as Mont Amoena Seminary; survived the war, won Synod adoption in 1869, received state charter authorizing academic degrees    
Negro Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina    Greensboro    North Carolina    
    
    state supported    now North Carolina A&T    
North Carolina College    Mount Pleasant    North Carolina    1855    1902    Evangelical Lutheran Church in America    Solberg gives starting date as 1859, closed during Civil War, reopened in 1867    www.nclutheran.org/resources/history.html
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/report1869/report1869.html
North Carolina College for Negroes    Durham    North Carolina    1919    
    
    established as National Religious Training School and Chatauqua; sld and reorganized in 1915 as National Training School; became Durham State Normal School in 1923; control assumed by state and became North Carolina College for Negroes n 1925, North Carolina College at Durham in 1947 and now North Carolina Central University after 1969    www.nccu.edu
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
North Carolina College for Women    Greensboro    North Carolina    1891    
    state supported    established as State Normal and Industrial School, became State Normal and Industrial College in 1897, North Carolia College for Women in 1919, Women's College of the University of North Carolina in 1932, and now University of North Carolina-Greensboro after 1963    www.uncg.edu/home/Text/hist-txt.html
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
North Carolina Medical College    Davidson    North Carolina    1887    1914    
    In 1886 the Presbyterian women of Charlotte equipped a small infirmary for the use of Davidson College students under treatment of Dr. Paul B. Barringer, the college physician, who also had some private classes in anatomy and physiology which were attended by students preparing for northern medical schools. When Dr. Barringer left in 1889 to become associated with the University of Virginia, he sold his "Medical School," as it had come to be known, to Dr. John Peter Munroe, who had succeeded him as college physician.  Though never a member of the faculty of Davidson College, Dr. Munroe had long been identified with it as a student (1882) and physician, and his pre-medical classes became an important part of the village activities. These classes formed the basis for the North Carolina Medical College, chartered in 1892. In 1903 the upper classes of the Medical College were removed to Charlotte where the students could take advantage of the facilities offered by the newly-organized Presbyterian Hospital. In 1907 the entire student body of the Medical College came to Charlotte where it occupied its own building on
the southeast corner of Sixth and Church Streets, a building known since
1913 as the Churchill Apartments.  During its lifetime, the North Carolina
Medical College had on its faculty many of the leading medical men of
Charlotte, who were instrumental in awarding the degree of Doctor of
Medicine to 340 men. A complete history of this institution, listing faculty
members and students, is contained in The North Carolina Medical College,
written by Dr. Robert H. Lafferty, published 1946. When it became evident
that the college could not longer meet the increasingly exacting demands
of modern medical training, the college suspended operation. The entire
student body was transferred in 1913 to the Medical College of Virginia
in Richmond where they were entered in the regular classes and the
diplomas conferred in the name of the North Carolina Medical College.    http://he.net/~brumley/tour/history/medicalcollege.htm
http://www.cmstory.org/history/hornets/educate.htm
North State Business College    Kannapolis, High Point    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Olin College    Iredell County    North Carolina    1853    
    
    
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/report1869/report1869.html
Oxford Female College    
    North Carolina    1851    1925    
    
    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Peace College    Raleigh    North Carolina    1857    
    Presbyterian    founded as Peace Institute; closed during the Civil War and re-opened in 1872; name change in 2011 to William Peace University    http://www.peace.edu/content/page/id/174
Phillips Junior College    Fayetteville    North Carolina    
    1992    
    
    www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
http://closedcollege.bizland.com
Pineland College    Salemburg    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Plymouth State Normal School    
    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    UNC Library Archives web site
Presbyterian College for Women    Charlotte    North Carolina    1857    
    Presbyterian    Dr. and Mrs. Burwell headed Charlotte Female Institute until 1872, when they were succeeded by Robert Hett Chapman and Stephen Taylor Martin, jointly, and then by Dr. Martin alone. In 1878 Dr. William Robert Atkinson bought the school and conducted it until 1891, when it was closed.  Charlotte would have been left without a school for girls had not Miss Lily Long, with the aid of Mrs. Tinsley Junkin, Mrs. Bessie Dewey, and Miss Rose Franklin organized the Charlotte Seminary for Girls which was located on 510 North Tryon Street. Some of Charlotte's best known women attended Charlotte Female Institute and Charlotte Seminary for Girls, including: Mrs. John VanLandingham, Mrs. Margaret Springs Kelly, Mrs. J. P. Durant, Mrs. Bessie Myers, Mrs. I. W. Faison, Mrs. C. C. Kennedy, Mrs. w. A. Zweier, Mrs. C. M. Carson, Mrs. George Fitzsimmons, Mrs. W. H. Twitty, Mrs. J. A. Durham, Mrs. H. A. Murrill, and the Misses Alice Springs, Sallie Phillips, Laura Orr, and Charlee Hutchison.  The Charlotte Seminary for Girls continued until 1896, at which time the Presbytery of Concord and Mecklenburg established the
Presbyterian College for Women, acquiring and enlarging the building once
used by Charlotte Female Institute. When the college was ready to open,
Dr. J. R. Bridges was chosen as president. With Miss Lily Long as lady
principal, the good will and records of the Seminary which she had
organized were taken over by the new college. In 1912 the name
was changed to Queens College and the institution removed to the site
of the present campus.    www.queens.edu/queens/history.htm
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://www.cmstory.org/history/hornets/educate.htm
Presbyterian Junior College    Maxton    North Carolina    1929    1961    
    Presbyterian Church purchased property of Carolina College for Women in 1929; PJC merged with Flora McDonald of Red Springs to become Saint Andrews College at Laurinburg in 1961    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Queens College    
    North Carolina    1767    1780    
    
    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Roanoke Bible College    Elizabeth City    North Carolina    1948    
    
    name change to Mid Atlantic Christian University    http://www.dailyadvance.com/news/rbc-is-now-mid-atlantic-christian-university-580468.html
Rutherford College    Rutherford College    North Carolina    1853    1935    Methodist Episcopal Church, South    founded as Oak Hollow Academy; name changed to Rutherford Academy in 1858 and to Rutherford College after 1870; merged with Weaverville College in 1934 and with Brevard Institute, also in 1934, to become Brevard College    http://www.ci.rutherford-college.nc.us/rchsites.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Rutledge College    
    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Sacred Heart College    Belmont    North Carolina    1892    1988    Sisters of Mercy    
    www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
http://closedcollege.bizland.com
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
St. Andrews Presbyterian College    Laurinburg    North Carolina    
    
    Presbyterian    created following 1958 merger of  Flora Macdonald College and Presbyterian Junior College.  Operates as a branch of Webber International University (Florida) following 2011 merger.  Name change to St. Andrews University in September 2011.    http://www.sapc.edu/aboutsa/history.php
Saint Genevieve-of-the-Pines College    Ashville    North Carolina    1912    1956    Religious of Christian Education    
    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
www.cdschool.org/History.htm
Saint John's College    Oxford    North Carolina    1858    1872    Masonic    became an orphanage    www.ibiblio.org/orphanage/history
Saint Mary's College    Raleigh    North Carolina    1842    1998    Episcopal    college for women; established junior college program in 1927    August 1, 1997 Chronicle of Higher Education
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Salisbury Business College    Salisbury    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Scotia Women's College    Concord    North Carolina    1867    
    
    founded as Scotia Seminary; name changed to Scotia Women's College I 1916; merged with Barber Memorial College in 1930 to become Barber-Scotia College    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
South Piedmont Community College    
    
    1999    
    state supported    SPCC traces its roots to the Ansonville unit of the Charlotte Industrial Education Center;  originally designated as the Ansonville Industrial Education Center in November 1962; in 1967 it became the Anson Technical Institute, a unit of the Department of Community Colleges of North Carolina; Anson Technical Institute then became a separately chartered institution on July 1, 1971; in 1979 it became Anson Technical College and in 1987, Anson Community College; in 1999 ACC and the Union Technical Education Center were combined to form SPCC    http://www.spcc.edu/about.php?item=12
Southern Presbyterian College    Rock Springs    North Carolina    1896    1961    
    founded as Reed Springs Seminary, name change to Southern Presbyterian College in 1903, name change to Flora McDonald College in 1916    www.floramacdonald.com/history/history.html
Southwood College    Salemburg    North Carolina    1875    1973    
    now the North Carolina Justice Academy's eastern campus; established in 1875 as Salem Academy, the campus has subsequently functioned as Pineland School for Girls, Pineland Junior College, Edwards Military Institute and finally Southwood College; attended by "Pistol" Pete Maravich in 1960's    www.fayettevilleobserver.com/news/archives/1999/tx99nov/n11salm8.htm
www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
State Normal & Industrial College    Greensboro    North Carolina    1891    
    state supported    see entry for North Carolina College for Women    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Statesville Female College    Statesville    North Carolina    1857    
    Presbyterian    
    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Thomasville Female College    
    North Carolina    1849    1889    
    successor to Sylva Grove Female Seminary and Glen Anna Seminary; predecessor to High Point Female College    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Trinity College    Randolph County    North Carolina    1838    
    Methodist Episcopal Church, South    founded as Union Institute; after 1851, Normal College; in 1859, name changed to Trinity; in 1891 moved to Durham and served as foundation for Duke University    http://www.duke.edu/web/Archives/history/narrativehistory.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Vardell Hall    Red Springs    North Carolina    1964    1972    
    girls prepatory school and junior college; operated on grounds of former Flora Macdonald College    www.floramacdonald.org/history/history.html
Warren Wilson College    Swannanoa    North Carolina    1894    
    Presbyterian    established as Asheville Farm School; merged with Dorland-Bell School (Hot Springs, NC) in 1942; adopted name of Warren H. Wilson Vocational Junior College and Associated Schools; becomes 4-yr in 1967;     http://www.warren-wilson.edu/info/history.php
Warrenton Female College    Warrenton    North Carolina    1841    1866    
    initially founded by Presbyterians; acquired in 1856 by members of Methodist Church South; briefly opened from 1870-1873    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Weaverville College    Weaverville    North Carolina    1856    
    Methodist Church, South    merged with Rutherford College and Brevard Institute to become Brevard College in 1935    http://www.ci.rutherford-college.nc.us/rchsites.htm
Wesleyan College    Kernersville    North Carolina    1946    1972    Wesleyan Church    founded as Kernersville Bible College; merged with Penn Wesleyan College and Wesleyan College (Frankfort, IN) to form United Wesleyan College    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
www.wesleyan.org/doc/history/milestones.htm
Wesleyan Female College    Murfreesboro    North Carolina    1853    1893    Methodist Episcopal Church South    was not reopened after a fire in 1893    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Wilmington College    Wilmington    North Carolina    1947    
    
    admitted to NC State System in 1969 as University of North Carolina at Wilmington    http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Winsalm Business College    Winston-Salem    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Winston-Salem Business College    Winston-Salem    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Worth Business College    Fayetteville    North Carolina    
    
    
    
    http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/archives/arch/college.htm
Yadkin College    Yadkin College    North Carolina    1856    1895    Methodist Protestant    1924 given for closing date at http://www.lib.unc.edu/highered/list.html    http://closedcollege.bizland.com
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Zion Wesley College    Salisbury    North Carolina    1879    
    African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church    founded as Zion Wesley Institute in Concord, NC; moved to Salisbury, NC and became Zion Wesley College in 1885 and Livingstone College in 1887    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.

    
    
    
    
    
    
last update:    10/6/2011    
    
    
    
    
    
counter customizable free hit

    
    
    
    
    
    



Please Wait... processing