WE ARE ABOUT TRUST AND TRANSPARENCY! SEE OUR REVIEWS. BUY THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE DIPLOMAS, TRANSCRIPTS & DEGREES

Article - Colleges in Kansas that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
American Socialist College    Wichita    Kansas    1903    
    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Arkansas City Junior College    Arkansas City    Kansas    1922    
    
    now Cowley College    http://www.cowley.cc.ks.us/
Arkansas Valley Business College    Hutchinson    Kansas    
    
    name changed to Western Business College and Normal School in 1886; this may've resulted from merger with Hutchinson Normal College    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Arkansas Valley Collegiate Institute    
    Kansas    1874    
    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Atchison Institute    Atchison    Kansas    1870    1884    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Baptist College    Pratt    Kansas    1891    1893    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Bethel College    Topeka    Kansas    1900    1901    Pentecostal    founded by Charles Parham and considered by some as one of the early events in the birth of Pentecostalism    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Bluemont Central College    Manhattan    Kansas    1858    1863    Methodist Episcopal    campus offered to the state and accepted in 1863 as basis for Kansas State University    Margaret Whittemore.  Historic Kansas.  1954.
Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Bresee College    Hutchinson    Kansas    1905    1940    
    started as Kansas Holiness Bible College; merged with Bethany-Peniel College; archives maintained with Church of the Nazarene Archives in Kansas City, MO    http://snu.edu/?p={42F09E01-0937-423D-B1A9-18183A4B3A4A}
www.nazarene.org
Campbell College    Holton    Kansas    1914    1919    
    opened after Campbell University merged with Kansas City University; after two years was offered to City of Holton where it became Kansas' first junior college; after closing in 1919, no further attempts were made to start a college in Holton    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Campbell Normal University    Holton    Kansas    1882    1903    
    citizens approached A.C. Campbell, a wealthy Utah mine owner and former Jackson County resident, was approached for money to start a college.  Campbell offered to match up to $20,000 and $10,000 was raised locally.  Eleven acres of land was purchased and a stone building was erected in 1880.     John S. Cornett.  Fifty Years of Kansas Wesleyan University.
www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/kgq/1933/33_3_kspress.htm
www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/books/cutler/jackson/jackson-co-p4.html
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/c/campbell_college.html
Campbell University    Holton    Kansas    1902    1913    United Brethren    the United Brethren purchased Campbell University and moved Lane University to Holton, and operating the school under the name of Campbell College; with merger talks between the United Brethren and Methodist Protestants, trustees of Campbell agreed to merge with Kansas City University in Kansas City, KS; 1882 given as date in John Cornett.  Fifty Years of Kansas Wesleyan University 1886-1936.    Margaret Whittemore.  Historic Kansas. 1954.
Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Capital City Commercial College    Topeka    Kansas    
    
Central College    Enterprise    Kansas    1891    1896    United Brethren    opened as Harrison Normal College.  Property transferred in 1891 and name changed to Central College; offered to West German Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1896, merged with Lane University;property was then operated as Enterprise Normal Academy at least until 1918    Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archisves/1918ks/v2/1062.html
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/c/central_college.html
Central Commercial College    Winfield    Kansas    
    1918    
    name changed to Winfield Scott College    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Central Normal College    Great Bend    Kansas    1887    1902    Congregational    building purchased by Dominican Sisters in 1902 becoming St. Mary Convent and Academy; names of known students of Central Normal published in 2/9/33 Hoisington Dispatch; history of the college published in Great Bend Tribune 6/10/33    John S. Cornett.  Fifty Years of Kansas Wesleyan University.
www.ksdom.org/history
www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/kgq/1933/33_3_kspress.htm
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/c/central_normal_college.html
Christian Workers University    Manhattan    Kansas    1927    
    
    in 1930 become Manhattan Bible College    http://www.mccks.edu/aboutmcc/history.html
Coffeyville Business College    Coffeyville    Kansas    1907    
    
    Oliver Morton Williams and R. F. Riley bought the college with Riley serving as president and Williams as manager.  The college was located at 711 1/2 Walnut Street.  Besides the principals, two assistant teacheers were employed with accommodations for approx. 100 students.  G.G. Henderson was president for a while.    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/biow/williaom.html
College of Emporia    Emporia    Kansas    1882    1974    Presbyterian    first accredited by NCA in 1913; dropped from accredited list 1942; reaccredited in 1951    www.globalads.com/malla/c-of-e/index.html
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/e/emporia_college.html
College of Paola    Paola    Kansas    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
College of Physicians and Surgeons    Kansas City    Kansas    1894    1905    
    absorbed by University of Kansas    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
College of Physicians and Surgeons of North Topeka    Topeka    Kansas    1872    
    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
College of the Sisters of Bethany    Topeka    Kansas    1861    1928    Protestant Episcopal    organized under a charter granted by the territorial legislature as "The Episcopal Seminary of Topeka" to offer education for women; named changed to College of the Sisters of Bethany in 1872; name referred to the Biblical sisters, Mary and Martha; reorganized in 1870; first bachelor's degrees awarded in 1897; in 1924 name change to Vail College; most buildings were razed to provide a site for Topeka High School    Sachs & Ehrlich, Guide to Kansas Architecture, 1996;
www.livgenmi.com/1886Kansaseyes~bethanycollege.htm
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/c/college_of_sisters_bethany.html
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
College of the Sisters of Charity    Topeka    Kansas    1875    
    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Colvin Chiropractic College    Wichita    Kansas    1914    
    
    initially located in Brosius Building at Douglas and Lawrence; then moved to 609 N. Lawrence; then occupied in 1924 the top two floors of building at northwest corner of Main and English    Wichita Eagle, August 28, 1921
Wichita Eagle, Jully 11, 1924
Concordia Normal School    Concordia    Kansas    1874    1876    state supported    
    www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/books/cutler/eraop/era-of-peace-pl.html
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Conway Normal College    Conway Springs    Kansas    1890    1894    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Cooper College    Sterling    Kansas    1887    
    United Presbyterian    name changed to Sterling College    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/v2/1044.html#105304
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Eclectic Medical College    Kansas City    Kansas    1896    1905    
    probably also known as Kansas Medical College that was absorbed by University of Kansas    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Enoch Marvin College    Oskaloosa    Kansas    1878    1880    Methodist Episcopal Church South    the school structure was torn down around 1904 and a high school building was erected on the site    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/e/enoch_marvin_college.html
Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
Entre Nous College    McCracken    Kansas    1906    1912    
    founded by Howard Robert Barnard, nephew of Henry Barnard, first U.S. Commissioner of Education, and of Frederick Barnard, founder of Barnard College (now part of Columbia University)    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Fairmount College    Wichita    Kansas    1895    1926    Congregational Church     planned as Wichita Ladies College; renamed Fairmount College after 1887; in 1926 became Wichita University, later Wichita State University    www.twsu.edu/library/specialcollections/87-38-a.html;
John Rydjord.  A History of Fairmount College.  1977.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/f/fairmount_college.html
Freedman's University    Quindaro    Kansas    1867    1881    Presbyterian    in 1872, the KS legislature established the Colored Normal School as part of Freeman's University; later acquired by African Methodist Episcopal Church and renamed Western University; 1857 given as first date in Zornow's, Kansas.  Zornow also gives 1877 as date for transfer to A.M.E. Church      http://www.kckplanning.org/quindaro.htm
Kansas.  William Zornow, 1957.
Friends Bible College    Haviland    Kansas    
    Friends      started as Haviland Academy in 1892, became Kansas Central Bible Training School in 1917, Friends Bible College and now operates as Barclay College    http://www.barclaycollege.edu/
Garfield Normal College & Business Institute    Enterprise    Kansas    1888    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Garfield University    Wichita    Kansas    1887    1893    initially affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    closed in 1890 and reopened two years later.  In 1898 taken over by Friends Church    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/v2/1054.html
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/g/garfield_university.html
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Garnett College    Garnett    Kansas    
    1874    United Presbyterian    classes were first held in the U.P. church and later on the second floor of a building at Fourth and Oak; started with two teachers and thirty students; $25,000 was pledged by the Synod for support in 1872, but there is no record of action    Buchanan, Tom and Christine.  Sterling College: Co-worker with God. 1987.
Gould College    Harlan    Kansas    1881    1888    United Brethren    named for Jay Gould, who owned part of the Union Pacific;     A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans.  William E. Connelley.  Revised edition, 1919.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1919ks/l/lerewwg.html
Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Harper College    Harper    Kansas    1914    1924    Churches of Christ    assets purchased by Arkansas Christian College, predecessor to Harding College (Searcy, AR)    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes. 1978.
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Harper Normal College    Harper    Kansas    1886    1896    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Hartford College    Hartford    Kansas    
    
    
Highland University    Highland    Kansas    1857    
    Presbyterian    chartered as university February 1858; first chartered college in KS; name later changed to Highland College; awarded bachelors degrees until 1920 when it became a two year institution; later became known as Highland Community College; Irvin Hall built in 1858 is still standing    Sachs & Ehrlich, Guide to Kansas Architecture, 1996.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/h/highland_university.html
http://www.highlandcc.edu/Academics/catalog.htm
Hobson Normal Institute    Parsons    Kansas    1882    1895    Friends Yearly Meeting of Iowa    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Immaculate Conception College    
    Kansas    
    Sisters of Saint Dominic    founded for education of Sisters, probably never admitted lay students    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Kansas Bible College    Harper    Kansas    1899    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Kansas Bible College    Lawrence    Kansas    1901    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Kansas Bible College    Manhattan    Kansas    1927    
    
    opened in cooperation with International Bible Mission and Eugene Buble University under the title "Christian Workers University"; in 1928 adopted name of Kansas Bible College which was often confused with similarly titled Bible Chair/college in Lawrence; in 1929, unified with Missouri Christian College and Colorado Bible College under International Bible Mission and incorporated as Midwest region of Christian Workers University; in 1930 the property in Manhatten was transferred from CWU and chartered as Manhattan Bible College; name changed to Manhattan Christian College in 1969    www.mccks.edu/mccstory.html
Kansas Christian College    Harper    Kansas    1899    1901    Christian Church    used property of Harper Normal College    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Kansas Christian College    Lincoln    Kansas    1885    1912    Christian Church    merged with Palmer College, a Christian institution located in Albany, MO    Charles M. Correll.  A Century of Congregationalism in Kansas:  1854-1954.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/k/kansas_christian_college.html
Kansas City College of Medicine and Surgery    Kansas City    Kansas    1897    1905    
    absorbed by University of Kansas medical school    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/
Kansas City Medical College    Kansas City    Kansas    1897    1905    
    absorbed by University of Kansas medical school    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/
Kansas City University    Kansas City    Kansas    1896    1933    Methodist Protestant    founded by D. Samuel Fielding Mather, a descendant of Cotton Mather; comprised of Mather College, College of Theology, College of Music, Kansas City Academy, School of Oratory and Elocution, College of Physicians and Surgeons, and the College of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery.  The Colleges of Music and Oratory were located in Kansas City, MO; in 1913 merged with Campbell College moved from Holton, KS; one-half of KCU trustees were then drawn from Church of the United Brethren in Christ; failed due to financial difficulties; St. Augustine Hall purchased by Recollect Augustinian Fathers in 1935 who preserved as Monastery of St. Augustine; complex was purchased by Seventh Day Adventists in 1987 for use as administrative offices and a conference center    Sachs & Ehrlich, Guide to Kansas Architecture, 1996.
Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
http://www.kckplanning.org/MATHERHALL.htm
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/v2/1062.html#107002
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/k/kansas_city_university.html
Conard, ed. Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, vol. III. 1901. pp. 506-07
Kansas College of Technology    Salina    Kansas    
    1991    
    merged with Kansas State University    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Kansas Medical College    Topeka    Kansas    1890    1902    
    became a department of Washburn University; several unsuccessful initiatives to found institutions using the name of KMC are noted by Conard    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Kansas Normal College    Fort Scott    Kansas    1878    1899    
    http://www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/books/cutler/bourbon/bourbon-co-p6.html
http://www.kancoll.org/books/cutler/eraop/era-of-peace-p23.html
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Kansas Normal College    Paola    Kansas    1878    
    
    http://www.kancoll.org/books/cutler/eraop/era-of-peace-p23.html
Kansas State College of Pittsburg    Pittsburg    Kansas    1903    
    state supported    started as the Auxiliary Manual Training Normal School as part of the State Normal School of Emporia; became a four-year college in 1913; known as Kansas State College of Pittsburg after 1959; granted university status in 1977 and renamed Pittsburg State University    http://www2.pittstate.edu/catalog_live/HistoryofPittsburgStateUniversity.html
Kansas State Teachers College    Emporia    Kansas    1863    
    state supported    founded as Kansas State Normal School; name change to Kansas State Teachers College in 1923; to Emporia Kansas State College in 1974; and to Emporia State University in 1977    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Lane University    Lecompton    Kansas    1865    1903    United Brethren    merged with Campbell University in 1903; building is now a museum; the parents of former president Dwight D. Eisenhower met at Lane as students;    Margaret Whittemore.  Historic Kansas.  1954.
Sachs & Ehrlich, Guide to Kansas Architecture, 1996.
Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/l/lane_university.html
Lawrence University    Lawrence    Kansas    1859    1863    
    initially chartered by Presbyterians and two years later by Protestant Episcopal Church; predecesor to University of Kansas; Cummins lists as a Disciples of Christ college    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Leavenworth Normal School    Leavenworth    Kansas    1870    1876    state supported    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Lincoln College    Topeka    Kansas    1865    
    Congregational Church    later moved to a new site and renamed Washburn University in 1868    Russell K. Hickman.  "Lincoln College, Forerunner of Washburn Municipal University  Pt. I and Pt. II" Kansas Historical Quarterly.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Marymount College    Salina    Kansas    1922    1989    Sisters of Saint Joseph    granted first degrees in 1926; became coeducational in 1968; first accredited by NCA in 1932; records moved to Saint Mary of the Plains and then to Ft. Hays State University    Sister M. Evangeline Thomas.  Footprints on the Froniter.  1948.
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Midland College      Atchison    Kansas    1887    1919    General Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church    later Midland College, Fremont, Nebraska (1919-1962)    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/v2/1044.html#105304
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/m/midland_college.html
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
Miltonvale Wesleyan College    Miltonvale    Kansas    1909    1972    Wesleyan Methodist Church    merged with Bartlesville Wesleyan College  (OK)     Zornow, William. Kansas. 1957.
http://www.bwc.edu/info/history.html
Modern Normal College    Marysville    Kansas    1892    1904    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Morrill Normal College    Morrill    Kansas    1882    1888    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Mount Carmel College    Scipio    Kansas    1876    1884    Catholic    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Mount Saint Scholastica College    Atchison    Kansas    1924    1971    Benedictine Sisters    merged with St. Benedict's College to form Benedictine College    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/v2/1044.html#105304;
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
National G.A.R. Memorial College    Oberlin    Kansas    1890    1893    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Nickerson College    Nickerson    Kansas    1903    1918    public    operated from 1903 until after 1918 by Reno County High School as Nickerson College    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Nickerson Normal College    Nickerson    Kansas    1898    1903    
    taken over by Reno County High School    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/kansas/history/mp/p128-133.html
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Northeastern Kansas Normal College    Pardee    Kansas    1877    
    
    Atchison County    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Olathe Normal University    Olathe    Kansas    1888    
    
    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Oswego College       Oswego    Kansas    1871    1873    
    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/labette/1901/195-201.shtml
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Oswego College for Young Ladies    Oswego    Kansas    1886    1910    Presbyterian    
    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/labette/1901/195-201.shtml
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/o/oswego_college.html
Ottumwa College    Ottumwa    Kansas    1862    1873    Christian Church    cornerstone laid by Methodist Episcopal Church, however a successful revival in the area led many members to change to the Christian Church and the college was taken over also; closed after a couple of years, reoranized again in 1872, then closed the following year after a fire    Don W. Holter.  Fire on the Prairie:  Methodism in the History of Kansas.  1969.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/o/ottumwa_college.html
People's College    Fort Scott    Kansas    1914    
    
    Socialist institution; advertised widely and appears to have been essentially a mail-order institution    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
President's College School of Law    Wichita    Kansas    1994    2003    
    some resources acquired by Friends University    http://www.friends.edu/default2.asp
Roger Williams University    Atchison    Kansas    1860    
    
    chartered in one county, never opened; sometimes noted as predecessor of Ottawa University    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Sacred Heart College    Wichita    Kansas    1902    
    Sisters Adorers of the Most Precious Blood    started as St. John's Academy, a school for girls in 1902; later a boy's school was added; became a junior college in 1923 and a 4-year institution in 1933.  Name changed to Sacred Heart College in 1952; renamed Kansas Newman College in 1973 and Newman University in 2000    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Saint Benedict's College    Atchison    Kansas    1858    1971    
    merged with Mount St. Scholastica College to form Benedictine College    http://www.benedictine.edu/
Saint Francis College of Nursing    Topeka    Kansas    
    
    affiliated with St. Francis Hospital    
Saint John's College    Winfield    Kansas    1893    1986    Missouri Synod Lutheran    first accredited by NCA in 1961    http://www.sckans.edu/sjc/home.html
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/s/st_johns_college.html
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America. 1985.
Saint Mary of the Plains College    Dodge City    Kansas    1913    1992    Sisters of Saint Joseph    acquired former Soule College property; initially operated as an academy; became a college in 1952; first accredited by NCA in 1963    http://trails.net/smp/
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Saint Mary's College    Saint Mary's    Kansas    1848    1931    Society of Jesus    first accredited by NCA in 1922; property acquired by Society of St. Piux X in 1979; authorized by KS to offer 2-year degrees in 1999; not to be confused with St. Mary College in Leavenworth, KS    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/v2/1054.html
www.smac.edu/history/history.html
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archive/1912/s/st_marys_college.html
Saint Mary College    Leavenworth    Kansas    1859    
    Sisters of Charity    founded as St. Mary's Academy for women; in 1923 became St. Mary's College, a junior college for women; became co-ed in 1988; after 2003 became the University of St. Mary    http://www.stmary.edu/
Salina Normal University    Salina    Kansas    1884    1904    
    located at the west end of Iron Avenue; destroyed by fire and was not rebuilt    John S. Cornett.  Fifty Years of Kansas Wesleyan University.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Salt City Business College    Hutchinson    Kansas    
    
    
Soule College    Dodge City    Kansas    1893    1903    Methodist Episcopal Church    founded as Western Kansas College; money for founding from Asa T. Soule; sold to Methodist church that operated for a time as Soule College; acquired by Sisters of St. Joseph in 1912    http://trails.net/smp/
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Southwest Kansas College    Wichita    Kansas    1884    1884    
    believed to have opened briefly    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Stockton Normal School    Stockton    Kansas    1887    1901    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Topeka Business and Normal College    Topeka    Kansas    1884    1890    
    Normal program may've been dropped after 1885.  Sold and name changed to Strickler's Topeka Business College    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Topeka Dental College    Topeka    Kansas    1909    
    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Ursuline College    Paola    Kansas    
    1957    Ursuline Sisters    operated as an academy until 1971; convent continues to operate    Kansas.  William Zornow, 1957.
Sachs & Ehrlich.  Guide to Kansas Architecture, 1996.
Utopia College    Eureka    Kansas    1946    1970    
    name changed in 1955 to Midwest Institute of Business Administration; founded by Roger Babson who also founded Babson College and Webber College    www2.babson.edu/babson/babsonhpp.nsf/public/aboutbabsonhistory/
Walden College    McPherson    Kansas    1905    1914    Swedish Evangelical Mission Covenant    first classes held in McPherson opera house; Science Hall completed in 1906; buildings sold to Orleans Seminary to become Central Academy and College    Dwayne A. Smith, ed.  Central College:  The First 100 Years.
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Western Branch State Normal School    Hays    Kansas    1902    
    state supported    initially founded as a branch of the State Normal School in Emporia; separated and renamed Fort Hays Kansas State Normal School in 1914; renamed Kansas State Teachers College of Hays in 1923 and Fort Hays State College in 1931; became Fort Hays State University in 1977    http://www.fhsu.edu/
www.legendsofkansas.com/haysuniversity.html
Western Business College and Normal School    Hutchinson    Kansas    1885    1889    
    originally known as Arkansas Valley Business College and believed to have merged with Hutchinson Normal College    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Western Christian University    Ottumwa    Kansas    1862    1874    
    initially Methodist, after one year taken over by Christian Convention of Kansas; destroyed by fire in 1874 and did not reopen    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Western Kansas College    Dodge City    Kansas    1887    1889    Presbyterian    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Western School of Elocution and Oratory    Wichita    Kansas    1891    1902    
    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Western Theological Seminary    Atchison    Kansas    1893    
    
    later located in Fremont, Nebraska (1919-1949)    http://www.mlc.edu/library/?p=archives
Western University    Quindaro    Kansas    1881    1943    African Methodist Episcopal    successor to Freedman's University    http://www.kckplanning.org/quindaro.htm; www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/kscoll/lochist/quindaro/TOUR6.HTM; see also Smith, Thaddeus T. Western University: A Ghost College in Kansas.  Unpublished Master of Arts thesis, Pittsburg State College. Pittsburg, KS: 1966.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/v2/1035.html#104001
Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/w/western_university.html
Wichita College of Music    Wichita    Kansas    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Wichita Commercial College    Wichita    Kansas    1893    
    
    in 1920 changed name to American Business College    Wichita Eagle, October 10, 1920
Wichita Ladies College    Wichita    Kansas    
    Congregational Church    renamed Fairmount College after 1887    http://specialcollections.wichita.edu/collections/university_archives/hist.html
Wichita Medical College    Wichita    Kansas    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Wichita University    Wichita    Kansas    1886    1893    German Reformed Church    faculty of fifteen in 1892; later used by Sisters of St. Joseph as a convent and orphanage until building burned in 1913    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/w/wichita_university.html
Winfield Business College and Normal Institute    Winfield    Kansas    1895    
    
    while college did operate there is no evidence the normal institute had any graduates    Conard, Erik Paul.  A History of Kansas' Closed Colleges.  Ph.D. dissertation, 1970.
Winfield College of Music    Winfield    Kansas    
    1926    
    merged with Southwestern College    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.

    
    
    

    

    site hit counter
last update:
    9/15/2009    
    
    
    
    

    



Please Wait... processing