Welcome to your #1 Fake Diploma, Transcript and Certificate Source. 17 years in business, Fast Quality Products, Honest Live Support. 

Article - Colleges in Iowa that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
Albia Junior College    Albia    Iowa    1926    1943    
    Quinn, Graham Francis.  The Albia Junior College: A Case Study.  Ph.D. dissertation. University of Iowa. 2001.
http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Alexander College    Dubuque    Iowa    1853    1857    Presbyterian    
    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Algona College    Kossuth County    Iowa    1868    1875    
    abandoned after county experienced grasshopper plagues over several years    Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Allen College    Waterloo    Iowa    1925    
    
    initially the Allen Memorial Hospital Nurses Training School, later the Allen College of Nursing; name change to Allen College in 1997    http://www.allencollege.edu/
http://www.ncahlc.org/?option=com_directory&Itemid=192
Amity College    College Springs    Iowa    1854    
    Presbyterian    initially an academy, college level department may not have started until after 1871 with presidency of A.T. McDill; Amitonian Academy at Greenwood, MO served as a second preparatory department for a time; Ross Turner Campbell, president from 1904-1910, became president of Cooper College (now Sterling College) in 1910     http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/bioc/campbert.html
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Ashland College    Ashland    Iowa    1860    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Bayless Business College    Dubuque    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Boone Junior College    Boone    Iowa    
    public    absorbed into Des Moines Area Community College in 1969    www.dmacc.cc.ia.us/history.htm
Britt Junior College    Britt    Iowa    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Bowen Business College    Des Moines    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Briar Cliff College    Sioux City    Iowa    1929    
    Sisters of St. Francis    co-ed after 1966; added graduate programs and name change to Briar Cliff University after 2001    http://www.briarcliff.edu
Brown's Business College    Davenport    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Brown's Business College    Sioux City    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Buena Vista College    Storm Lake    Iowa    1891    
    Presbyterian    name changed to Buena Vista University in 1995    Brenner, Morgan G. The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories, 2003.
Burlington College    Burlington    Iowa    1853    1901    Baptist    Burke lists as Burlington University and also states that in 1864 it was Burlington Collegiate Institute    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Burlington Junior College    Burlington    Iowa    1929    
    public    merged with Keokuk Junior College in 1966 and moved to West Burlington, IA to form Southeastern Community College    www.scciowa.edu
Capital City Commercial College    Des Moines    Iowa    1884    
    
    www.iowahistory.org/archives/research_collections/special_collections/manuscript_listing_ephemera.html
Cedar Rapids Business College    Cedar Rapids    Iowa    1879    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Cedar Rapids Collegiate Institute    Cedar Rapids    Iowa    1851    
    United Presbyterian Church in U.S.    became Parsons Seminary in 1866; Coe Collegiate Institute in 1875, name change to Coe College in 1881; absorbed Leander Clark College in 1919    Songe, Allice. American Universities and Colleges, 1978.
Cedar Valley Junior College    Osage    Iowa    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Central Holiness University    University Park    Iowa    1906    
    
    www.vennard.edu/about/history.html
http://79.1911encyclopedia.org/O/OS/OSKALOOSA.htm
Central Iowa Business College    Marshalltown    Iowa    1890    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Central University of Iowa    Pella    Iowa    1853    
    Reformed Church in America    name changed to Central College in 1954    Brenner, Morgan G. The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories, 2003.
Chariton Commercial College    Chariton    Iowa    1904    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Charles City College    Charles City    Iowa    1891    1914    Methodist Episcopal    merged with Morningside College    www.sos.state.ia.us/publications/archive/register/r9/r9mornsd.htm
Charles City College    Charles City    Iowa    1966    1968    
    operated briefly as satellite college of Parsons College    Koerner, James D.  The Parsons College Bubble.  1970.
Cherokee Junior College    
    Iowa    
    1938    Sisters, Servants of Mary    
    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Clinton Business College    Clinton    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
College of Physicians and Surgeons    Keokuk    Iowa    1851    1885    
    http://www.collphyphil.org/FIND_AID/hist/histlmh1.htm
College of Physicians and Surgeons of the Upper Mississippi    Davenport    Iowa    
    
    from 1850 to 1857 was under control of board of trustees of University of Iowa    Blackmar, Frank W. "The History of Federal and State Aid to Higher Education in the United States," in Herbert B. Adams, ed.  Contributions to American Educational History. 1890.
Cresco Normal College    Cresco    Iowa    
    
    Patterson includes name and indicates the institution was closed    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Davenport Female University    Davenport    Iowa    1855    1856    
    may never have opened    Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Decorah College for Women    Decorah    Iowa    
    1936    
    merged with Luther College in 1936    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Denison Normal and Business College    Denison    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Des Moines College    Des Moines    Iowa    1840's    
    
    Burke states that institution did not claim collegiate work until mid-1850's; he also notes a confused history with sponsorship by Presbyterians, then Lutherans and for a time may've been located at West Point; he also notes that the Lutherans started a college at Des Moines in 1855 which failed in 1862, to be revived by Baptists    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Des Moines College of Pharmacy    Des Moines    Iowa    
    
    after 1939, part of Drake University    http://www.drake.edu/newsevents/pubs/pharmakon/2001summer/inbrief.html
Des Moines Musical College    Des Moines    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Des Moines University    Des Moines    Iowa    1864    1929    Baptist    changed name to university in 1920 after merger of Des Moines College, Central College, and Highland Park College; after closure records acquired by Sioux Falls University    http://www.thecoo.edu/admin/hr/policies/history.html;
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Deutsche Collegium    Mt. Pleasant    Iowa    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Dexter Normal College    Dexter    Iowa    1880    
    
    in 1888 reported 11 instructors, 300 students preparing for teaching and 45 in the commercial department    Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Dominican College of Saint Rose of Lima    Dubuque    Iowa    1950    
    Dominican Fathers    succesor to College of Saint Thomas Aquinas (Forest River, IL); moved to Dubuque in 1951; reorganized as Aquinas Institute of Philosophy and Theology in 1961    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Dowling College    Des Moines    Iowa    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Dubuque College    Dubuque    Iowa    1839    
    
    initially founded as St. Raphael Seminary; name change to Mt. St. Bernard in 1850; to St. Joseph College in 1873; to Dubuque College in 1914; to Columbia College in 1920; and to Loras College in 1939    http://depts.loras.edu/marketing/college/history.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Dubuque German College & Seminary    Dubuque    Iowa    1852    
    
    founded as German Theological School of the Northwest; name changed to German Presbyterian Theological Sschool of the Northwest in 1891; to Dubuque German College & Seminary in 1911 and to the University of Dubuque in 1920    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Eagle Grove Junior College    Eagle Grove    Iowa    1928    
    public    became part of Iowa Central Community College; Eagle Grove Center closed in 2004;    
Elk Horn Lutheran High School and College    Elk Horn    Iowa    1878    1897    Danish Lutheran    with creation of United Danish Church a decision was made to combine efforts with Trinity Seminary of Blair, NE that ultimately resulted in formation of Dana College    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
Elkader Junior College    Elkader    Iowa    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Elliott Business College    Burlington    Iowa    1879    
    proprietary    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Ellsworth College    Iowa Falls    Iowa    1890    
    
    founded by Thomas Tobin who previously founded Tilford Academy at Vinton, IA in 1870 and Waterloo College in 1885; in 1892 he founded Tobin College in Fort Dodge; Ellsworth College is considered as predecesor for Ellsworth Community College that is now part of Iowa Valley Community College    www.iowafalls.org/history.htm
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905.
http://www.iavalley.cc.ia.us/district/History.html
Emmetsburg Junior College    Emmetsburg    Iowa    1930    1970    public    merged with Iowa Lakes Community College    www.ilcc.cc.ia.us/about/general.htm
Estherville Junior College    Estherville    Iowa    1924    1968    public    predecessor to Iowa Lakes Community College    www.ilcc.cc.ia.us/about/general.htm
Evangelical Lutheran College    Atkins    Iowa    
    Evangelical Lutheran    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Evangelical Lutheran College    Luzerne    Iowa    
    Evangelical Lutheran    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Evangelical Lutheran College    Newhall    Iowa    
    Evangelical Lutheran    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Fort Dodge Junior College    Fort Dodge    Iowa    1921    
    state supported    became part of Iowa Central Community College    
German Lutheran College    Van Horn    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
German Presbyterian College    Dubuque    Iowa    1852    
    Presbyterian    established as German Theological School of the Northwest, became German Presbyterian Theological School of the Northwest in 1891, Dubuque German College and Seminary in 1911, and University of Dubuque in 1920    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Graceland College    Lamoni    Iowa    1895    
    
    name change to Graceland University in 2000    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories, 2003.
Grand View College    Des Moines    Iowa    1896    
    Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America    Opened an academy or high school department in 1912; instruction at the junior college level began in 1924 and was accredited by the Iowa State Department of Public Instruction in 1938; accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1959; theological seminary was relocated to Maywood, Illinois in 1960; supported by Lutheran Church in America and its Iowa Synod, after 1988 operated as one of twenty-eight colleges supported by Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; name change to Grand View University in November 2008    http://www.grandview.edu/
Griswold College    Davenport    Iowa    1859    1897    Episcopal    purchased property of Iowa College; a preparatory department was initially opened with collegiate work starting by 1885    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Grundy College    Grundy Center    Iowa    
    1934    Christian Reformed Church    
    http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Hamilton College    Mason City    Iowa    1900    
    
    expanded to Cedar Rapids and Des Moines in 1980's; aquired by Quest Education Corporation in 1998;  two years later, Quest was aquired by Kaplan University; expanded to Cedar Falls in 1998 and Council Bluffs in 2000; in 2007 assumed name of Kaplan University    
Highland Park College    Des Moines    Iowa    1890    1929    initially private, Presbyterian after 1911; purchased by Baptists in 1918    1,262 students in 1892-93; consolidated with Des Moines College and Central College to become Des Moines University    Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Holmes Optical College    Des Moines    Iowa    1895    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Humbolt College    Humbolt    Iowa    1872    
    
    founded by Unitarians, but was non-denominational; S.H. Taft served as president; opened with three faculty and 111 students; Parker lists closure in 1880; Patterson includes in 1905 directory    Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905.
Immaculate Conception College    Dubuque    Iowa    
    
    http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~tdlarson/dubuque/postcards/colleges/
Iowa Agricultural College    Ames    Iowa    1858    
    state supported    name change to Iowa State College of Agricultural and Mechanical Arts in 1896, to Iowa State University of Science & Technology in 1959, and to Iowa State University in 1975    http://www.iastate.edu/
Iowa Business College    Des Moines    Iowa    1865    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Iowa Christian College    Oskaloosa    Iowa    1903    
    
    founded by Charles J. Burton; also included departments that operated under name of Oskaloosa Normal & Business College;    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
www.beforetime.net/iowagenealogy/mahaska/pastandpresentbook/ppburtoncharlesj.html
Iowa City College    Iowa City    Iowa    1840's    
    Methodist    
    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Iowa City Commercial College    Iowa City    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Iowa College    Davenport    Iowa    1846    
    Congregational    moved to Grinnell, IA in 1859    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Iowa College for the Blind    Vinton    Iowa    1852    
    
    now Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Iowa College of Physicians and Surgeons    Des Moines    Iowa    
    1903    
    later affiliated with Drake University    http://www.drake.edu/newsevents/pubs/pharmakon/2001summer/inbrief.html
Iowa Lutheran College    Albion    Iowa    
    
    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Iowa Normal and Business College    Mason City    Iowa    
    
    
Iowa State Teachers College    Cedar Falls    Iowa    1876    
    state supported    founded as Iowa State Normal School, became Iowa State Teachers College in 1909, name change to State College of Iowa in 1961; to University of Northern Iowa in 1967    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Iowa Union College    Oskaloosa    Iowa    1863    
    Iowa State Friends Association    Penn College in 1873, name changed to William Penn College in 1933, and to William Penn University in 2000    www.mahaskacounty.org/about/about.html
Jewell Lutheran College    Jewell    Iowa    1890    1924    
    http://www.stolaf.edu/library/archives/
http://archives.luther.edu/records_groups/rg10.html
John Fletcher College    Oskaloosa    Iowa    
    
    http://www.nazarene.org/ansr/articles/ingersol_98.html
Johnson's Business College    Ft. Madison    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Keokuk College of Pharmacy    Keokuk    Iowa    1900    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Keokuk Dental College    Keokuk    Iowa    1897    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Keokuk Junior College    Keokuk    Iowa    
    
    merged with Burlington Junior College in 1966 to form Southeastern Community College    www.scciowa.edu
Keokuk Medical College    Keokuk    Iowa    1849    a1905    
    www.iowahistory.org/archives/research_collections/      special_collections/manuscript_listing_ephemera.html
www.collphyphil.org/FIND_AID/hist/histlmh1.htm
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905.
Kletzing College    University Park    Iowa    
    
    www.vennard.edu/pages/about.html
Larchwood Normal College    Larchwood    Iowa    
    
    Patterson includes name and indicates the institution was closed    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Leander Clark College    Toledo    Iowa    1857    1918    United Brethren      merges with Coe College after devastating fire    http://www.coe.edu/Events/150Years/timeline.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Lenox College    Hopkinton    Iowa    1859    1944    Presbyterian    initially Bowen Collegiate Institute; in 1884 became Lenox College; from 1922 to 1944 operated as a junior college    http://users.mwci.net/~delhi/text/lenox.htm
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Lyons Female College    Clinton    Iowa    1858    
    
    http://www.union.edu/N/DS/s.php?s=1534
Mason City Junior College    Mason City    Iowa    1918    
    public    part of North Iowa Area Community College after 1968    http://www.niacc.edu/general/history.html
Marshalltown Junior College    Marshalltown    Iowa    1927    
    public    founded as part of the Marshalltown Community School District; now known as Marshalltown Community College; in 1966,  moved under the jurisdiction of Iowa Valley Community College District    
www.iavalley.edu/mcc
Marycrest International University    Davenport    Iowa    1939    2002    Congregation of the Humility of Mary    founded as women's division of neighboring St. Ambrose University; buildings sold to Teikyo University in 1990    12/19/01 Chronicle of Higher Education;
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Metropolitan Business College    Sioux City    Iowa    
    
    http://www.downtownsiouxcity.com/PDF%20Files/Historictour.pdf
Midwest Christian Junior College    Sioux Center    Iowa    1953    
    Christian Reformed Church    name changed to Dordt College in 1956    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Midwestern College    Denison    Iowa    1965    1970    
    founded as satellite college of Parsons College, IA    Koerner, James D. The Parsons College Bubble. 1970.
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Mount Ida Female College    Davenport    Iowa    1855    
    
    founded as Ladies College; the campus was located on the bluff on Third Street between College and Bridge avenues;    Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Mount Mercy Junior College    Cedar Rapids    Iowa    1928    
    Sisters of Mercy    transiton to 4-yr undergraduate program in 1960 and changed name to Mount Mercy College; name change to Mount Mercy University in August, 2010    http://www.mtmercy.edu/index.php?id=391&newsitem=250
Mount Pleasant German College    Mt. Pleasant    Iowa    1873    1909    
    http://library.truman.edu/manuscripts/centralwesleyan.htm
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Mount Pleasant Literary Institute    Mt. Pleasant    Iowa    1842    
    Methodist    name changed to Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute in 1843, to Iowa Wesleyan University in 1855, and to Iowa Wesleyan College in 1912    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Bremmer, Morgan G. The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories, 2003.
Mount Saint Clare College    Clinton    Iowa    1893    
    Sisters of Saint Francis    became The Fransiscan University in December 2002; in 2004, the name was changed to The Franciscan University of the Prairies; in March 2005, the University was purchased by Bridgepoint Education, Inc.; the name was changed to Ashford University and the affiliation with the Catholic Church was ended, becoming a for-profit institution    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_University
Mount Saint Josephs College    Dubuque    Iowa    1843    
    Sisters of Charity, BVM    established as Saint Marys Academy, became Saint Joseph Academy 1846, Mount Saint Joseph College in 1901, Clarke College in 1928, and Clarke University in 2010     Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
www.clarke.edu
Muscatine Business College    Muscatine    Iowa    1882    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
National Memorial University    Mason City    Iowa    1900    1910    
    building later served as Roosevelt Elementary School and then as initial site of Mason City Junior College, now North Iowa Area Commuity College; building torn down in 1979    http://www.mcpl.org/index.htm
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Newton Normal College    Newton    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Northeast Iowa Community College    Calmar    Iowa    1966    
    public    initially Northeast Iowa Area One Vocational-Technical School; name change to Northeast Iowa Technical Institute in 1979 and to Northeast Iowa Community College in 1989    http://www.nicc.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=93
Northwest Iowa Technical College    Sheldon    Iowa    1966    
    public    name change to Northwest Iowa Community College in 1993    
Oskaloosa College    Oskaloosa    Iowa    1861    1880    Church of Christ    considered as predecessor to Drake University    www.drakeneighborhood.org/history.html
www.bible.acu.edu/stone-campbell/Biogs/carpgt.htm
www.scripophily.net/jewtypcom.html
Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Oskaloosa Business College    Oskaloosa    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Ottumwa Commercial College    Ottumwa    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Ottumwa Heights College    Ottumwa    Iowa    
    1980    Sisters of the Humility of Mary    The boards of Indian Hills Community College and Ottumwa Heights
College  merged operations on July 1, 1979. Ottumwa Heights was
a private college operated by the Sisters of Humility of Mary. Its
roots can be traced back to the 1860s, when the Visitation Academy
was established in Ottumwa. The St. Joseph Academy was founded
 in 1925, and its name was changed to Ottumwa Heights College
five years later.  The Ottumwa Heights College campus was situated
on 126 acres and was purchased by the IHCC Board of trustees in 1981.
The original building is used for administrative offices, the library, an art
gallery, an auditorium, dormitory space, and arts and sciences and
some technical education classes. The library and art gallery were
completed in the former chapel in 1984. The Hellyer Student Life Center
and Efner Academic Hall opened in October of 1985, the first of the
new buildings added to the former Ottumwa Heights facilities.     http://closedcollege.bizland.com
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
http://www.ihcc.cc.ia.us/ihcc/catalog/overview/history.htm
Palmer College    Le Grand    Iowa    1889    1912    Christian Church    founded as LeGrand Christian College; a successor to LeGrand Christian Institute that operated from 1866-1885; renamed Palmer College in 1897 after a gift from H.A. Palmer; moved to Albany, MO in 1912    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905.
http://www.legrand.lib.ia.us/community/schools/schoolshistory/
Palmer Junior College    Davenport    Iowa    
    1979    
    now part of Scott Community College    www.eicc.edu/district/history.html
Parsons College    Fairfield    Iowa    1875    1973    Presbyterian    accredited by NCA 1913-48; 1950-67; 1970-73    http://home.roadrunner.com/~gsteve/parsons.htm;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsons_College
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Perry Junior College    Perry    Iowa    
    
    http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Perry Normal College    Perry    Iowa    1892    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Saint Ambrose Seminary    Davenport    Iowa    1882    
    Catholic    name change to St. Ambrose College in 1908 and to St. Ambrose University in 1987    http://www.sau.edu/about/history.html
Saint Joseph College    Dubuque    Iowa    1873    
    Sisters of Charity, BVM    successor of St. Raphael Seminary and Mt. St. Bernard;  later Dubuque College, Columbia College, and finally Loras College    http://depts.loras.edu/marketing/college/history.html
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
St. Luke's College    Sioux City    Iowa    1902    
    
    Lutheran School of Nursing and Methodist School of Nursing (founded in 1920) merged in 1967 for form St. Luke's School of Nursing; with expanding programs, the name was changed in 1993 to St. Luke's School of Nursing and Allied Health and to St. Luke's College of Nursing and Health Sciences in 1995; the name was changed to St. Luke's College in 2001    http://www.stlukescollege.edu/body.cfm?id=85
Saint Mar's College    Emmetsburg    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Sioux City College of Medicine    Sioux City    Iowa    1889    
    
    http://www.downtownsiouxcity.com/PDF%20Files/Historictour.pdf
http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatS.htm
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Sioux Empire College    Hawarden    Iowa    
    1985    
    property later operated for a time as LSS Group Home    http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Spencer College    Spencer    Iowa    
    
    name changed from Spencer School of Business to Spencer College in 1993; programs purchased by Buena Vista University in 1996 and BVU operates a center in Spencer    www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/directory/
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Still College of Osteopathy    Des Moines    Iowa    1898    
    
    became Des Moines Still College of Osteopathy in 1911 and College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery in 1958; in 1981 the college became part of the University of Osteopathic Medicine and the Health Sciences; in 1999, the name was changed to Des Moines University, College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://history.aoa-net.org/Education/collegehist.htm
Tabor College    Freemont County    Iowa    1853    1927    Congregational    initially founded as Tabor Litererary Institute; an academy opened by 1855 and college level courses by 1866; four-year programs were offered in classical, scientific, and literary departments; there was a brief unsuccessful effort in the 1930's to reopen; during WWII property was used to house German POW's    http://community.heartland.net/tabor-library/college.htm
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Tobin College    Fort Dodge    Iowa    1892    
    
    fourth institution founded by Thomas Tobin [previously founded Tilford Academy in Vinton, IA, Waterloo College, and Ellsworth College in Iowa Falls]; acquired the former St. Charles hotel and a quarter of the block at the corner of First Ave. North and Seventh street for the institution    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~iabiog/webster/hw1913/hw1913-t.htm
Toland's Business College    Spencer    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Toland's Business University    Mason City    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Trinity College    Sioux City    Iowa    1913    1947    Franciscans    Society of Mary staffed the school from 1930 until 1949; for a brief time Benedictine Sisters used facilities as a Motherhouse; from 1958-1967 Salvatorians operated Minor Seminary High School; leased by Western Iowa Tech until 1973 as administrative offices;    www.rc.net/siouxcity/trinity/tchs.htm
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
University Business College    Iowa City    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
University of Northwest    Sioux City    Iowa    1889    
    Methodist    later became Morningside College in 1894; absorbed Charles City College in 1914    www.uiowa.edu/~osa/regions/wcent/woodbury.htm
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Vennard College    University Park    Iowa    1910    2008    
    In 1910, Dr. Iva Durham Vennard founded Chicago Evangelistic Institute (CEI) in Illinois, for the purpose of providing "effective training for Christian service." Her stated goals were to send Spirit-filled people into the ministry and to promote Scriptural Holiness.  In 1951, the school moved to University Park, Iowa, where it was renamed Vennard College in 1959. The move brought Vennard into a familial relationship with the graduates of the three other Christian colleges which formerly occupied the campus: Central Holiness University, John Fletcher College, and Kletzing College. Dr. Vennard's presidency was followed by: Dr. Harry E. Jessop, Dr. H. M. Couchenour, Dr. J. Sutherland Logan, Dr. Merne A. Harris, Dr. Warthen T. Israel, Dr. Burnis Bushong (interim president), Dr. Blake J. Neff, Dr. W. Edward Rickman, and Dr. Bruce E. Moyer. The institution recently announced that it will be closing at the end of the F'08 semester.    
Walford Lutheran College    Forest City    Iowa    
    Lutheran    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Wartburg Normal School    Waverly    Iowa    1852    
    American Lutheran Church    name change to Wartburg Normal College in 1920 and to Wartburg College in 1935    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Washington Junior College    Washington    Iowa    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Waterloo Business College    Waterloo    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Waukon Business College and Normal School    Waukon    Iowa    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Waukon Junior College    Waukon    Iowa    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Webster City Junior College    Webster City    Iowa    1926    1966    public    became part of Iowa Central Community College    http://showcase.netins.net/web/marjned/jcollege.html
Western College    Toledo    Iowa    1881    
    United Brethren in Christ    founded in 1856 in Shueyville, Iowa, later moved to Toledo; closed for a time, reopened in 1906 as Leander Clark College; later merged with Coe College    www.tamatoledonews.com/ToledoArchive/October2000/101900TC/ 101900TC.html
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Western Iowa Business College    Council Bluffs    Iowa    
    
    
    Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Western Normal College    Shenandoah    Iowa    
    
    purchased by William M. Croan in 1884 when 65 students were enrolled; reported 3,000 attending during 1889-90    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905
Western Union College    Lemars    Iowa    1887    1997    
    founded as Northwestern Normal School & Business College; in 1900 opened as Western Union College supported by United Evangelical Church; name changed in 1948 to Westmar College sponsored by Evangelical United Brethren; merged with York College of Nebraska in 1954; became United Methodist after 1968 merger with EUB's; 1990 Teikyo Westmar University; name change back to Westmar University in 1995;    www.lemarsiowa.org/campus/history/history.html
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Westmar University    LeMars    Iowa    1890's    1997    United Methodist Church until 1989    first accredited by NCA in 1953; operated as Teikyo Westmar University 1990-95; Westmar University 1995-1997    http://closedcollege.bizland.com;
NCA web site; also, May 18, 1994, June 15, 1994, March 3, 1995, June 9, 1995, October 27, 1995, April 19, 1996, July 26, 1996, October 24, 1997, and January 30, 1998 Chronicle of Higher Education
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/archives/faq/faqcolleges.htm
Whittier College    Salem    Iowa    1867    
    Religious Society of Friends    destroyed by fire in 1885, revived in 1887    Parker, Leonard F. Higher Education in Iowa. 1893.
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905.
Wilton German English College    Wilton Junction    Iowa    
    German Congregational    a seminary founded in Crete, NE moved to Wilton in 1894; the college later merged with Redfield College in SD in 1904    http://www.ucc.org/aboutus/histories/chap5.htm
Yellow Springs College    Kossuth    Iowa    1850's    
    
    hosted speakers such as William Jennings Bryan and Billy Sunday; currently Chautauqua Park, managed by Des Moines County Conservation    

    
    
    
last update:    8/22/2011    
    
    
    
    
web tracker



Please Wait... processing