WE ARE ABOUT TRUST AND TRANSPARENCY! SEE OUR REVIEWS. BUY THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE DIPLOMAS, TRANSCRIPTS & DEGREES

Article - Colleges in Maryland that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
Asbury College    Baltimore    Maryland    1816    1832    Methodist    first president was Samuel K. Jennings    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Baltimore College      Baltimore    Maryland    1803    1830    
    outgrowth of an academy conducted by James Priestley; merged with University of Maryland    Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Baltimore College of Commerce    Baltimore    Maryland    1909    1973    
    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Baltimore College of Dental Surgery    Baltimore    Maryland    1839    
    
    founded by Chapin A. Harris; building purchased by University of Baltimore and renamed Howard Hall    http://www.ubalt.edu/president/pres_history.html
www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/speccol/photos/philanthropy/html/timeline1.htm
Baltimore Female College    Baltimore    Maryland    1849    1890    Methodist Episcopal    opened on St. Paul St., later moved to northeast corner of Park Avenue and Wilson Street; non denominational after 1868; N.C. Brooks was first president    http://www.boltonhill.org/neighborhood/n_history.htm
www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/speccol/photos/philanthropy/html/timeline1.htm
Steiner, Bernard C.  History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Baltimore Hebrew College    Baltimore    Maryland    1919    2009    
    moved from Eutaw Place to Park Heights Avenue in 1959; received Maryland state accreditation in 1963; accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools in 1974; renamed Baltimore Hebrew University in 1987; with closure, a new partnership was approved with Towson State University housing a new Baltimore Hebrew Institute and adding masters programs in Jewish studies, communal services, and education;     Hirsch, Arthur. "A new chapter for Baltimore Hebrew University,"  Baltimore Sun, June 20, 2009.
Baltimore Medical College    Baltimore    Maryland    1881    
    
    www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/cfm/schools.cfm
www.hshsl.umaryland.edu/corporate/resources/historical.html
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Baltimore University School of Medicine    Baltimore    Maryland    1884    1905    
    www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/cfm/schools.cfm
Bay College of Maryland    
    Maryland    1969    1978    
    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Blue Ridge College    New Windsor    Maryland    
    1930    Church of the Brethren    purchased New Windsor College in 1912; affiliated with Bridgewater College; in 1944, physical plant sold to Church of Brethren Service Committee    http://www.bridgewater.edu/catalog/Catalog2000/bchistory.html
http://nwmayor.homestead.com/nwmayor.html
Borromeo College    Pikesville    Maryland    1860    1872    Roman Catholic    Rev. E.Q.S. Waldron mentioned as president in report to Commissioner of Education    Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Calvert College    New Windsor    Maryland    1851    1876    Catholic    purchased property when first New Windsor College failed; Calvert College suffered greatly during the Civil War; taken over by Presbyterians in 1876 and operated again as New Windsor College;later purchased by Blue Ridge College in 1912    http://nwmayor.homestead.com/nwmayor.html
Chevy Chase Junior College    Chevy Chase    Maryland    1903    1950    
    occupied the former Chevy Chase Inn; initially Chevy Chase College for Young Ladies; served as Operations Research Office for Defense Department during Korean War; now used as National 4-H Conference Center    www.fourhcouncil.edu/4hcenter/CHRISTBR.HTM;
www.library.miami.edu/archives/papers/baker.html
Cokesbury College    Abingdon    Maryland    1787    1796    Methodist    1st Methodist college; moved to Baltimore in 1795 after a fire and closed the following year after another fire    http://www.gcah.org/Heritage_Landmarks/Cokesbury.htm
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
College of Notre Dame of Maryland    Baltimore    Maryland    1873    
    School Sisters of Notre Dame    founded as Notre Dame of Maryland Collegiate Institute for Young Ladies; name change to College of Notre Dame of Maryland in 1895; name change to Notre Dame of Maryland University in September 2011    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://www.ndm.edu/
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore    
    
    
    Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
www.hshsl.umaryland.edu/corporate/resources/historical.html
College of Saint James    Hagerstown    Maryland    1842    1864    Episcopal    founded on an estate at Fountain Rock, at the time, six miles from Hagerstown; Rev. John Barrett Kerfoot served as first president; closed by Civil War and continued afterward as a grammer school    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Coppin State College    Baltimore    Maryland    1900    
    state supported    begun as teacher preparatory program at Douglass High School; in 1926 renamed Fannie Jackson Coppin Normal School; became Coppin State College in 1967 and Coppin State University in 2004    http://www.coppin.edu/welcome/history.asp
Dag Hammarskjold College    Columbia    Maryland    1972    1974    
    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Eastern Christian College    Bel Air    Maryland    1960    2003    
    begun as Eastern Christian Institute, East Orange, NJ; moved to Maryland in 1960; affiliated with Lincoln Christian College, IL after 1993 and was known as East Coast Campus of LCC    www.lccs.edu/off_site/index.shtml
Eastern College    Baltimore    Maryland    
    
    merged with University of Baltimore in 1970    http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/25univ/ub/html/ubf.html
Elkton Baptist College    Elkton    Maryland    1973    1978    
    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Epiphany Apostolistic College    Walbrook    Maryland    1890    1894    Catholic    served as preparatory institution for St. Joseph's Seminary    Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Frederick College    Frederick    Maryland    1799    
    
    Burke states that it was charterd as a college in 1830 and was listed as a college by the 1850 census, but was probably regarded as a high school    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Hagerstown Female Seminary    Hagerstown    Maryland    1852    
    Evangelical Lutheran Church    operated collegiate department and in later years awarded baccalaureate degrees     Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
Irving College    Manchester    Maryland    1858    1893    
    www.mdmunicipal.org/cities/index.cfm?townname=Manchester&page=home
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Kee Mar College    Hagerstown    Maryland    1851    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Kirkland Hall College    Easton    Maryland    
    
    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Loyola College in Maryland    Baltimore    Maryland    1852    
    Roman Catholic    name change to Loyola University Maryland in 2009    http://www.loyola.edu/designation/
Lutherville Seminary    Lutherville    Maryland    1853    
    Evangelical Lutheran Church    female seminary; operated collegiate department and in later years awarded baccalaureate degrees     Solberg.  Lutheran Higher Education in North America.  1985.
Maryland College of Art and Design    
    Maryland    1957    2004    
    merged into Montgomery College    
Maryland College of Pharmacy    Baltimore    Maryland    1841    
    
    united with University of Maryland after 1844    Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Maryland College for Women    Lutherville    Maryland    1853    1952    
    successor to Lutherville Seminary; founded by Rev. Dr. John Morris, born in York, PA, a Lutheran minister, teacher, writer, librarian, and naturalist. After 33 years as the pastor of the First English Lutheran Church of Baltimore and about 3 years as pastor of the Third Lutheran Church, he served as the first librarian of the Peabody Library in the 1860s. He was president of the Maryland Historical Society and of the German Historical Society at the time of his death. Morris founded the Lutheran Female Seminary (also known as Female College at Lutherville and Maryland College for Women), and was at times a professor or lecturer at the Gettysburg Theological Seminary, the Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg, and in the Natural History Department at the University of Maryland.    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Maryland Dental College    Baltimore    Maryland    1873    1878    
    Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Maryland Medical College of Baltimore    Baltimore    Maryland    1898    1913    
    co-educational; closed with opening of John Hopkins Medical School    www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/cfm/schools.cfm
Maryland State Normal School    Salisbury    Maryland    1925    
    state supported    name change to State Teachers College at Salisbury in 1935, to Salisbury State College in 1963, to Salisbury State University, and now to Salisbury University    http://www.salisbury.edu/about/
Morgan College    Baltimore    Maryland    1890    1939    Methodist Episcopal    successor to Centenary Biblical Institute; taken over by the state becoming Morgan State College    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/staghist/html/sh61.html
www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/speccol/photos/philanthropy/html/timeline2.htm
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Mount Hope College    Baltimore    Maryland    1837    1844    Presbyterian    Rev. Frederick Hall served as first president; occupied a building built to house a branch of United States Bank of Baltimore;     www.mdhs.org/library/Mss/ms001647.html
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Steiner, Bernard C.  History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Mount Providence Junior College    Cantonsville    Maryland    1957    1972    Oblate Sisters of Providence    
    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Mount Saint Agnes College    Mount Washington    Maryland    1890    1971    Sisters of Mercy    merged with Loyola College of Maryland    www.loyola.edu/history.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
www.mdhs.org/library/Mss/ms001647.html
Mount Saint Joseph College    Irvington    Maryland    1867    
    Xaverian Brothers    Baltimore County    www.livebaltimore.com/history/irvington.html
www.archives.nd.edu/findaids/ead/index/CFX004.htm
Mount Washington Female College    Baltimore    Maryland    
    
    Isabelle "Belle" Boyd, Confederate spy was a student; the Octagon, a campus building inspired by the theories of phrenologist Orson Squire Fowler, went on to house a succession of religious and private schools up until 1982, when it was bought by the United States Fidelity & Guarantee (USF&G) insurance company. Handsomely refurbished, it's now called the Mount Washington Conference Center.    http://speccol.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/speccol/catalog/cfm/dsp_number.cfm?speccol=2682
National Park College    Forest Glen    Maryland    1927    1942    
    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
New Windsor College    New Windsor    Maryland    1876    1894    Presbyterian    successor to Calvert College founded in 1851; purchased by Blue Ridge College in 1912; Steiner states that it was established in 1843 with J.P. Carter as president as New Windsor College by Presbyterians, was operated by Roman Catholics as Calvert College for a time and was repurchased by Presbyterians in 1874; classes were small with maybe 35 graduating from the collegiate department and 63 from the ladies department prior to 1895; after 1886 Windsor Business College was created to offer commercial courses    http://nwmayor.homestead.com/nwmayor.html
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Newton University    Baltimore    Maryland    1845    1859    
    Joseph B. Burleigh was first chancellor; on his death in 1849 he was succeeded by J.N. McJilton with Harlow W. Heath as president; two preparatory schools were connected with the institution, the Newton University School in the university building on Lexington and Franklin Hall at 28 N. Exeter;Perley R. Lovejoy became president after 1857    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/stagser/s1259/121/6050/html/douginst2.html
Steiner, Bernard C.History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Ocean City College    Easton    Maryland    1968    1974    
    formerly Kirkland Hall College    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Princes Anne College    Princes Anne    Maryland    1886    
    Methodist Episcopal Church    founded as Delaware Conference Academy; assumed name as Princess Anne Academy in 1890; later acquired by state of Maryland and renamed Eastern Shore Branch of Maryland Agricultural College in 1919; name change to Industrial Branch of Morgan State College in 1935; to Princess Anne College in 1936; to Maryland State College in 1948; after 1970 known as University of Maryland Eastern Shore    www.umes.edu/about_umes/history.html
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Rock Hill College    Ellicott City    Maryland    1830    
    Christian Brothers    founded in 1824 as Rock Hill Academy and purchased by the Christian Brothers in 1857    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Saint Catherine's Normal Institute    
    Maryland    
    Sisters of the Holy Cross    
    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Saint Charles College    Ellicott City/ Cantonsville    Maryland    1848    1911    Society of St. Sulpice    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
www.archives.nd.edu/findaids/ead/xml/ins.xml
www.loc.gov/rr/main/religion/sms2.html
Saint Charles College    Baltimore County    Maryland    1911    1968    Society of St. Sulpice    
    www.loc.gov/rr/main/religion/sms2.html
Saint Joseph College    Emmitsburg    Maryland    1809    1973    Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul    purchased by FEMA in 1979; now the National Fire Academy    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
www.usfa.fema.gov/fire-service/nfa/nfa-abt1f.shtm
www.marylandhistoricaltrust.net/nr/NRDetail.asp?HDID=357&FROM=NRMapFR.html
Saint Peter's College    Baltimore    Maryland    1927    1968    
    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Sojourner-Douglass College    Baltimore    Maryland    
    
    
    listed on Closed College Consortium web site; however, Sojourner-Douglass maintains a web site at www.sdc.edu;
www.ed-oha.org/cases/1990-61-st.html
Southern Homeopathic Medical College    Baltimore    Maryland    1890    1910    
    received some support from state until 1904 fire of Baltimore, soon after the institution was reformed as Atlantic Medical College, an allopathic medical school; the school received a scathing reviw in the Flexner Report in 1909 and closed the next year    www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/cfm/schools.cfm
http://homeopathy.inbaltimore.org/history.html
Thivenet Institute    
    Maryland    
    Congregation of Jesus and Mary    founded for the education of Sisters, probably never enrolled lay students    Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Trinitarian College    Baltimore    Maryland    1956    1969    
    
Villa Julie College    
    Maryland    1947    
    Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur    accredited as a junior college in 1954; became independent in 1967; co-ed after 1972; became a baccalaureate institution in 1984; authorized to offer first masters degree in 1996; name changed to Stevenson University in 2008    http://www.vjc.edu/explore/history_main.asp
Washingon Training College    Takoma Park    Maryland    1904    
    Seventh-day Adventist    became Washington Foreign Mission Seminary in 1907, Washington Missionary College in 1913 and then Columbia Union College in 1961; name change to Washington Adventist University in 2009    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
http://www.cuc.edu/index.html
Washington Junior College    Takoma Park    Maryland    1933    1942    
    
Washington University School of Medicine    Baltimore    Maryland    1827    1877    
    closed from 1851-1866; founded under charter of Washington College in Washington, PA; new charter in 1839 under name of Washington Univerity with intent to add law, divinity, arts and sciences, but the expansion did not occur; franchises of the institution were transferred to the College of Physicians and Surgeons    www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/manuscripts/ead/washuniv.html
www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/cfm/schools.cfm
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Western Maryland College    Westminster    Maryland    1867    
    Methodist Protestant    name changed to McDaniel College in July 2002    Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Woman's College of Baltimore    Baltimore    Maryland    1888    
    Methodist Episcopal Church    now Goucher College after 1910    www.goucher.edu/library/robin/program/wcob.htm
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Woman's College of Frederick    Frederick    Maryland    1893    
    Evangelical Reformed Church of the U.S.    successor to Frederick Female Seminary founded in 1840; now Hood College after name change in 1912    www.hood.edu/visitor/history.htm
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
www.mdhs.org/library/Mss/ms001647.html
Woman's Medical College of Baltimore    Baltimore    Maryland    1882    1910    
    www.collphyphil.org/FIND_AID/hist/histlmh1.htm
www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/cfm/schools.cfm
www.hshl.umaryland.edu/corporate/resources/historical.html
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Woodstock College    Woodstock    Maryland    1869    1971    Jesuits    seminary for preparation for priesthood    http://www.icehouse.net/flanman/woodstoc.htm
http://www.georgetown.edu/centers/woodstock/report/r-hist39.htm
http://www.library.georgetown.edu/dept/speccoll/fl/f53%7D4.htm
Steiner, Bernard C. History of Education in Maryland. 1894.
Xaverian College    Silver Spring    Maryland    1931    1970    
    www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/stagserm/ssum/html/ssum0182.html
Y.M.C.A. Business College    Baltimore    Maryland    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10

    
    
    

    

    web page hit counter
last update:
    11/17/2010    
    
    
    
    

    
    
    



Please Wait... processing