Welcome to your #1 Fake Diploma, Transcript and Certificate Source. 17 years in business, Fast Quality Products, Honest Live Support. 

Article - Colleges in Mississippi that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name    City    State    Start Date    End Date    Affiliation    Other Information    Source
All Saints College    Vicksburg    Mississippi    1907    1962    Episcopal    founded to educate women; high school and junior college; college discontinued and name changed to All Saints School in 1962    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Campbell College    Jackson    Mississippi    1887    
    African Methodist Episcopal    Headed by chartered trustees and located in the cities of Vicksburg and Friars Point, Miss. Until 1898 it remained at the two respective places as separate wings, but during the administration of Bishop W. B. Derrick, it was decided to unite these two in one institution and locate same at Jackson, MS. The founders were Revs. T. W. Stringer, W. R. Carson, L. W. W. Manaway, E. R. Carter, W. T. Anderson, W. H. Coleman, J. G. Johnson and J. W. Watson, and I. T. Montgomery, W. H. Reynolds, H. T. Risher, Granville Carter and Thomas Richardson. The school at Vicksburg was started in 1890 in Bethel Church. A large hall next to the church was built, and 1,000 acres of the best land in the Mississippi Delta were given by Collis P. Huntington. Since 1898 the following have served as presidents: M. W. Thornton, D. H. Butler, M. M. Ponton,
P. W. Howard, H. H. Buckingham, W. T. Vernon, J. L. Johnson and A. Henry Attaway, the present president. The departments are theological, collegiate, scientific, academic, normal, musical, industrial, commercial and grammar school. There were last year 230 students and 11 teachers.
There have been 3,800 students in all since 1890 and 65 graduates.
The property consists of two large brick buildings and 1,137 acres of
land, the whole valued at $50,000. (Wright) later part of Jackson
College which then became Jackson State University    www.ame-toady.com/abcsofame/higherlearning.shtml
http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/wright/wright.html
Chickasaw Female College    Pontotoc    Mississippi    1836    1936    Presbyterian    Thomas McMackin gave the land for the use of female education. The school was incorporated as Pontotoc Female Academy; then Chickasaw College, owned and operated by the Presbyterian Church. The site is located just behind the present Pontotoc Hospital.     http://www.rootsweb.com/~mspontot/tour.htm
http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatC.htm
Clarke Memorial College    Newton    Mississippi    1908    1992    Baptist    in 1981 became a division of Mississippi College    http://www.clarkecollege.com/
Clinton College    Clinton    Mississippi    
    
    
    now Mississippi College    http://www.mc.edu/
Corona College    Corinth    Mississippi    1857    1862    
    women's college; used as hospital 1862-1864 by Confederate and later, Union troops; burned by Union forces in 1864    http://www.corinth.net/NEW%20SITE/History/facts.htm
East Mississippi Female College    Meridian    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Elizabeth Academy    Old Washington    Mississippi    1818    1843    Methodist    Blandin claims, "…there is ample credible testimony that a college course of study was taught…It was the first school in Mississippi or any other State to aspire to the dignity of a college, and it was the first college for girls established by the Methodist Church."; named for Elizabeth Roach; Audubon was on faculty    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Eureka College    Richland    Mississippi    1851    
    Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Eureka Masonic College    Holmes County    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/MS/Holmes/state.html
Franklin Female College    Holly Springs    Mississippi    1849    
    
    
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~msmarsha/locales/schools.html
Grenada College    Grenada    Mississippi    1882    1950    Methodist    founded by Baptists as Grenada Collegiate Institute in 1851; merged with Millsaps College    http://library.millsaps.edu/library/Archives/NewMeth/HistChurBackup.htm
Blandon.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Gulf Park Junior College    Long Beach    Mississippi    1919    1971    
    also known as Gulf Park College for Women; campus acquired for use by University of Southern Mississipi Gulf Coast campus in 1972    Elias, Louis, Jr. A History of Gulf Park College for Women, 1917-1971. Ed.D. dissertation. 1981.
Biloxi Sun Herald, January 8, 2006
http://www.usm.edu/gc/gulf-park-history.php
Harrison-Stone-Jackson Junior College    Perkinston    Mississippi    1912    
    
    now Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College    http://www.mgccc.cc.ms.us/TCmgccc_history.htm
Hillman College    Clinton    Mississippi    1853    1942    Baptist    women's college acquired by Mississippi College    http://www.mc.edu/news_events/celebration/past.html
Blandon.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Industrial Institute and College of Mississippi    Columbus    Mississippi    1884    
    public    The institution was created by an act of the Mississippi legislature on March 12, 1884, for the dual purposes of providing a liberal arts education and preparing women for employment. The first session began October 22, 1885, with an enrollment of approximately 250 students on a campus formerly occupied by the Columbus Female Institute, a private college founded in 1847.  The name of the institution changed to Mississippi State College for Women (MSCW) in 1920 to reflect an emphasis on collegiate rather than vocational education. The name changed again in 1974 to Mississippi University for Women (MUW) to better reflect the nature of the academic programs including graduate studies. All state colleges were designated universities at this time. The university is referred to by alumni and friends as "The W."    http://www.muw.edu/misc/history.htm
Jackson College for Negro Teachers    Jackson    Mississippi    1877    
    
    founded as Natchez Seminary by American Baptist Home Missionary Society; became Mississippi Negro Training School in 1940 after transfer to state, Jackson College for Negro Teachers in 1944, and Jackson State College in 1956    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Jefferson College    Washington    Mississippi    1802    1964    Episcopal    first educational institution in Mississippi Territory, incorporated by General Assembly in May 1802; academy from 1805-1810, as a college from 1816-1821, then reverted to an academy; now operated  as a historic site by the state; Jefferson Military College started in 1829; files at Mississippi Dept. of Archives & History    http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/hprop/hjc.html
http://www.unc.edu/depts/csas/srr7/srr7e.htm
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Keble College    Pass Christian    Mississippi    
    1952    Episcopal    
    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Mary Holmes College    West Point    Mississippi    1892    2003    Presbyterian Church (USA)    initially founded in Jackson, MS as Mary Holmes Seminary to educate young women; building destroyed by fire in 1897 and was rebuilt in West Point, MS; became coeducational in 1932; trustees voted to suspend operations for fall 2003    The Chronicle of Higher Education, September 12, 2003
Meridian Female College    Meridian    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/collcat/collcatM.htm
Meridian Junior College    Meridian    Mississippi    
    
    
    later Beeson College    http://library.millsaps.edu/library/Archives/NewMeth/HistChurBackup.htm
Mississippi Industrial College    Holly Springs    Mississippi    1905    1980's    Christian Methodist Episcopal    HBCU located across the street from Rust College.  Some records at Lane College in Jackson, TN.    
Mississippi Normal College    Hattiesburg    Mississippi    1910    
    state supported    name change to Mississippi State Teachers College in 1924; to Mississippi Southern College in 1940; to University of Southern Mississippi in 1962    Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Mississippi Synodical College    Holly Springs    Mississippi    1882    1939    
    successor to Maury Institute, merged with Belhaven College; T.W.Raymond was president from 1891-1921.    www.belhaven.edu/Belhaven/history.htm
http://www.rootsweb.com/~msmarsha/locales/schools.html
Mississippi Women's College    Hattiesburg    Mississippi    1911    
    
    see entry for South Mississippi College    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Mount Beulah College    Edwards    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/worksong.htm
Natchez College    Natchez    Mississippi    
    
    
    institution for blacks    http://30.1911encyclopedia.org/N/NA/NATCHEZ.htm
www.natchezbelle.org/adams-ind/schools.htm
Natchez Female College    Natchez    Mississippi    
    
    
    classes held at "Melmont"    www.natchezbelle.org/adams-ind/schools.htm
Newton College       Woodville    Mississippi    1843    
    Disciples of Christ    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
North Mississippi Presbyterian College    Holly Springs    Mississippi    1840    1866    Presbyterian    
    http://www.freedom2000net.com/userpages/genealogy/Alcorn/np1903.html
Burke, Colin B. American Collegiate Populations. 1982.
Oakland College    Lorman    Mississippi    1829    1860    Presbyterian    the property was sold after the Civil War to the state and re-opened as Alcorn University; some files located at Mississippi Dept. of Archives & History    http://www.alcorn.edu/history.htm
http://www.unc.edu/depts/csas/srr7/srr7e.htm
Okolona College    Okolona    Mississippi    1902    1965    Episcopal    founded as high school and junior college for blacks    http://smalltown.sarc.msstate.edu/projects/okolonatech/okolona2.html
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Our Lady of Snows Scholasticate    Pass Christian    Mississippi    1953    1971    
    
    
Perkinston College    Perkinston    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Phillips Junior College       Gulfport    Mississippi    
    1993    
    
    
Phillips Junior College of Jackson    Jackson    Mississippi    1973    1995    
    
    
Port Gibson Female College    Port Gibson    Mississippi    1881    1928    Methodist Episcopal    files located at Mississippi Dept. of Archives & History; beginning in 1839, Port Gibson Academy and later, Collegiate Institute    http://www.unc.edu/depts/csas/srr7/srr7e.htm
http://library.millsaps.edu/library/Archives/NewMeth/HistChurBackup.htm
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Presbyterian Synodical College for Young Ladies    Holly Springs    Mississippi    1903    
    Presbyterian    Synod accepted donation of North Mississippi Presbyterian College    
Ripley Male and Female College    Ripley    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Rose Gates College    Okolona    Mississippi    1859    1862    Episcopal    
    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Saint Andrew's College    Jackson    Mississippi    1852    1856    Episcopal    
    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Saint Joseph's College    Natchez    Mississippi    
    
    Sisters of Charity    
    http://30.1911encyclopedia.org/N/NA/NATCHEZ.htm
www.natchezbelle.org/adams-ind/schools.htm
Saint Francis Xavier's College    Vicksburg    Mississippi    
    
    Roman Catholic    
    http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/VAN_VIR/VICKSBURG.html
Sharon Female College    Sharon    Mississippi    1837    1873    
    started as a "union" college supported by Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians; reorganized in 1843 as a Methodist institution;    Blandin.  The History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
Shaw University    Holly Springs    Mississippi    1866    
    Methodist    founded as Shaw School, became Shaw University in 1870 and then Rust University in 1882; and Rust College in 1915    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Shuqualak College    
    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    www.jackson.k12.ms.us/schools/namesakes.htm
Soule's College    Summit    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~pmullins/chapter15.htm
South Mississippi College    Hattiesburg    Mississippi    1906    
    Baptist    became Mississippi Women's College in 1911, William Carey College in 1954 and William Carey University in 2006; in 1968 announced a merger with Mather School of Nursing in New Orleans, later relocated to New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary campus in 1998; in 1976 purchased the Gulf Coast Military Academy campus in Gulfport, now known as William Carey University on the Coast;    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
http://www.wmcarey.edu/AboutWCU/WilliamCareyUniversity/302/HistoryofWilliamCare.shtm
Southern Christian College    West Point    Mississippi    1909    
    
    
    Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Southern Christian Institute    Edwards    Mississippi    1874    1954    Disciples of Christ    achieved junior college status around turn of the century; merged with Tougaloo College in 1954    Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Southern Female College    West Point    Mississippi    1894    
    Cumberland Presbyterian    Andrew N. Eshman became the president of Union Female College at Oxford, Mississippi, a school controlled by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and in 1894 the school relocated to West Point and its name changed to Southern Female College. In 1905 Eshman left Mississippi and built Radnor College in Nashville. Eshman served both as president and proprietor of Radnor College until it closed in 1914.  Southern Female College changed its name to Belverino College in 1906-07, then closed a few years later.    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/schools/Evans.htm
http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/
Stanton College for Young Ladies    Natchez    Mississippi    1894    
    
    non-sectarian; housed in "old Fisk Mansion"    http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
http://30.1911encyclopedia.org/N/NA/NATCHEZ.htm
www.natchezbelle.org/adams-ind/schools.htm
Stone College    Meridian    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    www.jackson.k12.ms.us/schools/namesakes.htm
Stonewall College    Ripley    Mississippi    
    
    
    
    www.rootsweb.com/~mscivilw/reunion/CivilReunion.htm
T. J. Harris Junior College    Meridian    Mississippi    
    1970    
    merged with Meridian Junior College    www.mcc.cc.ms.us
Utica Junior College    Utica    Mississippi    1903    
    
    founded as Utica Normal and Industrial Institute; fourteen years later, the Hinds County Agricultural High School was founded in Utica, and in 1922 it became Hinds Junior College; in 1958, Utica Normal and Industrial became Utica Junior College after becoming public and joining the Mississippi system of junior colleges; a 1983 merger of Hinds Junior College and the historically black Utica Junior College, as well as the inclusion of the Rankin branch, created Hinds Community College.     Townsend, Barbara. Two-Year Colleges for Women and Minorities.  1999.
Union Female College    Oxford    Mississippi    1853    
    Cumberland Presbyterian    acquired property of previously established Oxford Female Academy; closed during Civil War and reopened in 1865; purchased by North Mississippi Conference of M.E. Church South in 1899    www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/mcdonold/42-49.htm
Blandin.  History of Higher Education of Women in the South.  1909.
University of Holly Springs    Holly Springs    Mississippi    1838    1839    
    opened as the Chalmers Institute in 1850 until closing in 1879 due to yellow fever epidemic; opened 1879 by Major T. S. Anderson as the Holly Springs Normal Institute    http://www.rootsweb.com/~msmarsha/locales/schools.html
Westminster College    Florence    Mississippi    1944    
    Congregational Methodist Church    founded as Congregational Methodist Bible School in Dallas, TX; moved to Mississippi in 1972; name changed to Wesley College after 1976; see entry for Westminster College and Bible Institute (TX)    Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
www.wesleycollege.com
Whitworth College    Brookhaven    Mississippi    1858    1976    Methodist    initially a women's college and successor to Elizabeth Female Academy; claims to be 1st college in U.S. to grant degrees to women; manuscript collection at University of Southern Mississippi archives; merged with Millsaps in 1938;operated as Whitworth Bible College from 1976-1983 by several local business people; now proposed for Mississippi School of the Arts;     http://www.lib.usm.edu/~archives/whitwort.htm
www.brookhaven.com/arts/default.htm
http://library.millsaps.edu/ibrary/Archives/NewMeth/HistChurBackup.htm
Rice, Kathleen George.  A History of Whitworth College for Women.  Ph.D. dissertation. 1985.
Wood College    Mathiston    Mississippi    1886    2003    Methodist    founded as Woodland Academy in Clarkson, Mississippi; in 1897 under the auspices of the Woman's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church renamed Bennett Academy; in 1914 moved to Mathiston and in 1927 added college-level courses; operates now as Wood Institute, a conference center and retreat center    The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 1, 2003
http://woodcollege.org/profile.htm

    
    
    
    
    
    
last update:    9/27/2011    
    
    
    
    
    
page hit counter

    
    
    
    
    
    



Please Wait... processing