Home:: Colleges in New Jersey that have closed, merged, or changed their names

Colleges in New Jersey that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name City State Start Date End Date Affiliation Other Information Source
Alma White College Zarephath New Jersey 1917 1978
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Alphonsus College Woodcliff Lake New Jersey
1974 Sisters of Saint John the Baptist
http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Archangel College Englewood Cliffs New Jersey

http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Bayonne Junior College Bayonne New Jersey
1951
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Bergen Junior College Teaneck New Jersey 1933 1954
predecessor to Teaneck Campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University http://www.teaneck.org/virtualvillage/Postcards/schools/schools.htm
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Bordentown Female College Bordentown New Jersey 1851 1893
www.co.burlingtonnj.us/historic/bordentowncity.htm
www.newadvent.org/
Burlington College Burlington New Jersey 1846 1881 Episcopal located adjacent to and affiliated with St. Mary's Hall for Girls www.burlco.lib.nj.us/county/history/prophet.html
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
College of South Jersey Camden    New Jersey 1927 1950
The roots of Rutgers University's Camden Campus date to 1926, when Collingswood businessman and mayor Arthur E. Armitage, Sr., and a group of interested citizens established the South Jersey Law School. The following year, the College of South Jersey, a two-year institution, was founded. These two units became a part of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, in 1950. http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
http://camden-www.rutgers.edu/Camden/Arts_Sciences/introcas.html
College of the Sacred Heart Vineland New Jersey 1884 b1899
http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Dana College Newark New Jersey 1930

became part of Rutgers when University of Newark was merged in 1946 http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/occ/facts/history.php
Don Bosco College Newton New Jersey 1928 1990
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Englewood Cliffs College
New Jersey
1974 Sisters of Saint Joseph of Newark founded for the education of Sisters, probably never enrolled lay students http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Essex Junior College Newark New Jersey
1937
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Evelyn College for Young Women Princeton New Jersey 1887 1897
mondrian.princeton.edu/CampusWWW/Companion/evelyn-college.html
Georgian Court College Lakewood New Jersey 1924
Sisters of Mercy The Sisters purchased the palatial winter estate of George Jay Gould and relocated Mount Saint Mary College; the new property featured stunning architecture in the British Georgian style; the Goulds sold the estate with the stipulation that it retain the name; name change to Georgian Court University after 2004 www.georgian.edu
Glassboro State College Glassboro New Jersey 1923

founded as New Jersey State Normal School at Glassboro; name change to New Jersey State Teachers College at Glassboro; to Glassboro State College in 1958; to Rowan College of New Jersey in 1992; to Rowan University in 1997 http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Hudson College Jersey City New Jersey 1932 1942
Immaculate Conception Junior College Lodi New Jersey 1923
Felician Sisters founded as Immaculate Conception Normal School; name changed to Immaculate Conception Junior College in 1942; in 1967 name changed to Felician College http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002
Songe, Alice H. 
American Universities and Collges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Brenner, Morgan G. 
The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Jersey City Junior College Jersey City New Jersey
1959
students transferred to Jersey City State College, now New Jersey City University http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Jersey City State Teachers College Jersey City New Jersey 1927
state supported founded as New Jersey Normal School of Jersey City; name change to Jersey City State Teachers College in 1935; to Jersey City State College in 1958; to New Jersey City University in 1998 Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
John Marshall College Jersey City New Jersey
1950
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
King's College Belmar New Jersey 1938 1941
moved to Wilmington, Delaware www.infoage.org/kings.htm
Luther College of Bible and Liberal Arts Teaneck New Jersey 1967 1978
now operates as Lutheran Bible Ministries, Inc. http://www.bibleministries.org/history.html
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Marianite Junior College
New Jersey
Sisters Marianites of the Holy Cross founded for the education of Sisters, probably never enrolled lay students Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Maryknoll Junior College Lakewood New Jersey
1954
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Mount Saint Mary College North Plainfield New Jersey 1905
Sisters of Mercy became Georgian Court College with move to Lakewood in 1924 http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Collges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Newark College of Engineering Newark New Jersey 1881

founded as Newark Technical School, became Newark College of Engineering in 1929 and New Jersey Institute of Technology in 1974 Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Newark State College Newark New Jersey 1855
state supported founded as Newark Normal School; name changed to New Jersey State Normal School at Newark in 1913; to Newark State Teachers College in 1935; to Newark State College in 1958; change of location to Union, NJ in 1958; name change to Kean College of New Jersey in 1974 and to Kean University in 1997 http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Northeastern Bible College Essex Falls New Jersey 1950 1990
Our Lady Help of Christians College
New Jersey
Salesian Sisters of Saint John Bosco founded for the education of Sisters, probably never enrolled lay students Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Our Lady of Princeton
New Jersey

founded for the education of Sisters, probably never enrolled lay students Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Panzer College of Physical Education and Hygiene East Orange New Jersey
1958
merged with Monclair State University www.montclair.edu/welcome/campustour/pz.html
www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Passaic Trade Union College
New Jersey

http://djvued.libs.uga.edu/text/co22txt.txt
Patterson State College Wayne New Jersey

now William Paterson University of New Jersey http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Queen's College New Brunswick New Jersey 1766

name change to Rutgers College in 1825; to Rutgers University in 1925; to Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey in 1945 Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Saint Benedict's College Newark New Jersey
Roman Catholic
www.newadvent.org/cathen/10790a.htm
Saint Gabriel's College
New Jersey
1968
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Saint Joseph's College
New Jersey
1970
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Salesian College
New Jersey
1973 Salesian Sisters of Saint John Bosco
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Shelton College Cape May New Jersey 1907 1971
acquired by evangelist Carl McIntire in early 1960s; NJ Board of Higher Education withdrew accreditation in 1969; may've also operated in Cape Canaveral, FL until financial problems led to closure http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Tombrock College Paterson New Jersey 1956 1974 Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Conception
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Trenton Business College Trenton New Jersey 1865

the name Captial City Business College was sometimes used; in 1897 name changed to Rider Business College; acquired Stewart Business College in 1901; became Rider College in 1921 www.rider.edu/grid/riderinfo/history.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Trenton Junior College Trenton New Jersey
1967
merged with Mercer County Community College http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Trenton State College Ewing New Jersey 1855

founded as New Jersey State Normal School; name change to New Jersey State Normal School at Trenton in 1908; to New Jersey State Teachers Colege & State Normal School in 1929; to New Jersey State Teachers College at Trenton in 1937; to Trenton State College in 1958; to The College of New Jersey in 1996 http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
University of Newark Newark New Jersey
1947
merged with Rutgers http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
Upsala College East Orange New Jersey 1893 1995 Lutheran Church
in America
classes initially held in Brooklyn in Swedish; in 1898 moved to site in Kenilworth, NJ; in 1923 classes were held at new site in East Orange www.upsala.org
Villa Walsh Junior College Morristown New Jersey
1971 Pontifical Institute of the Religious Teachers, Filippini founded for the education of Sisters in the Diocese of Trenton. By 1927, Villa Victoria was granted its own Normal School Charter, staffed by the Religious Teachers Filippini and supervised personally by the Commissioner of Education in the State of New Jersey, Charles H. Elliot. Transferred to Villa Walsh, the Normal School became Villa Walsh Junior College in 1948. Its name was officially changed to Walsh College in 1970, when young women, who were not members of the Religious Teachers Filippini, were admitted to the college. http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Westminster Choir College Princeton New Jersey 1926 1992
founded as Dayton Westminister Choir School, Ohio; moved to Ithaca, NY and was affiliated with Ithaca College in 1929; moved to Princeton, NJ in 1932; merged with Rider College www.rider.edu
www.state.nj.us/highereducation/closedschools.htm
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.







advanced web statistics
last update:
4/2/2010