Home:: Colleges in South Dakota that have closed, merged, or changed their names

Colleges in South Dakota that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name City State Start Date End Date Affiliation Other Information Source
Black Hills College Hot Springs South Dakota
1947 Methodist merged with Dakota Wesleyan University http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Central Indian Bible College Mowbridge South Dakota 1970
Assembly of God founded as Good Shepherd Indian Bible Institute in Mobridge, South Dakota, with Rev. Leo Bankson serving as the founding and first president; the first educational facility was constructed next to Mobridge Assembly of God church; in 1988 Good Shepherd bought the vacant Northwestern Lutheran Academy in west Mobridge; the old original (east) campus was then sold in pieces over the next 10 years; name changed to Central Indian Bible College in 1984; to Black Hills Indian Bible College in 1998 with move to Rapid City, South Dakota; the Mobridge property was sold in 2002 and the name was changed to the Institute for Ministry Development; http://www.buffaloteam.com/history.html
College of Saint Martin Sturgis South Dakota
Benedictine Sisters founded for the education of Sisters, probably never enrolled lay students; the community operated hospitals and schools of nursing in Hot Springs and Rapid City, SD; moved to new monastery and academy complex near Rapid City in 1962; Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
http://www.blackhillsbenedictine.com/history.php
Columbus College Chamberlain South Dakota
1927
campus purchased to form St. Joseph's Indian School span style="font-size:8.0pt;text-decoration:none">www.stjo.org/
Dakota Agricultural College Brookings South Dakota 1881

name change to South Dakota State College of Agriculture & Mechanic Arts in 1907; to South Dakota State University in 1964 Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Dakota Bible College Arlington South Dakota 1942 1988 Christian Church / Church of Christ Established on September 22, 1942.  Its founder was Walter E. Stram, a graduate of Eugene Bible University (now Northwest Christian College), Eugene, Oregon, and minister of the Arlington Christ of Christ (Christian).  Stram had begun a ministry in Arlington in 1940, and in 1942, conducted classes for four students in his home.  Arlington, in Kingsbury County, approximately 25 miles west of Brookings. Harry F. Carter and his wife were on the faculty of the college in 1943.  Harry was a 1919 graduate of International Christian Missionary Bible College, Minneapolis, Minnesota, which later became Minnesota Bible College (now Crossroads College), Rochester, Minnesota. On July 15, 1943, Dakota Bible College purchased an 11 room house in Arlington for $3000.  It became the first permanent home for the college.  Ralph Johnson, a blind person, was added to the faculty.  Johnson served on the faculty until 1956, when he went to work as an instructor at Nebraska Christian College, in Norfolk, Nebraska. In 1953, the college moved to a new campus at Huron, South Dakota, 55 miles west of Arlington, on US 14. In 1988, Dakota Bible College closed
due to continual low enrollment and financial issues.  Records were
transferred to Minnesota Bible College.  Although records were
transferred, the two colleges did not officially merge.
brochure, Dakota Bible College, 1943.
Baccalaureate and Commencement Program, Dakota Bible College, 1972.
Dakota University Mitchell South Dakota 1882
Methodist became Dakota Wesleyan University in 1904 Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Eureka Lutheran College Eureka South Dakota

merged with Wartburg College www.wartburg.edu/admissions/fastfacts.html
Freeman Junior College Freeman South Dakota 1903 1986 General Conference Mennonite initially known as Mennonite College; then, Freeman College from 1910-1939 and Freeman Junior College after 1939 until closure; NCA web site
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Kaus, Austin.  "South Dakota small-town colleges gone, but nostalgia remains," in
The (Mitchell, SD) Daily Republic, October 24, 2009.
General Beadle State College Madison South Dakota 1881
state supported founded as Madison Normal School, became Eastern State Normal School in 1921, General Beadle State Teachers College in 1947 and now Dakota State University since 1989 Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Hub City Bible Institute Aberdeen South Dakota 1960 1967 Assembly of God? moved to Jamestown, ND in 1967 as Trinity Bible Institute www.state.nd.us/hist/chrono.htm
Huron University Huron South Dakota 1897 2001 Presbyterian Huron University was founded as Pierre University in 1883. It was moved to Huron, South Dakota in 1897 and renamed Huron College. In later years it was renamed Huron University. On a Tuesday evening, May 31, 1887 Huron College sent forth its first graduate and conferred its first Bachelor of Arts degree to Frank A. Farrar. With the awarding of this degree history was made as this was the first degree to be awarded in the Dakota Territory. In 1915, Huron gained accreditation by the North Central Association. In 1917, Albert McMillan won a Rhodes Scholarship after leaving the institution. In 1932, Harold Lumb became the first student to win a Rhodes Scholarship while enrolled at Huron. Purchased by Si Tanka College in Eagle Butte, SD and became Si Tanka Huron University in April 2001, Si Tanka-Huron as of 2003-04 and Si Tanka University in 2004-05 with two campus in Eagle Butte and Huron.  Si Tanka Huron campus closed in April 2005. www.sitanka.edu/1.5/
www.plainsman.com/main.php?story_id=5866&page=23
Notre Dame Junior College Mitchell South Dakota 1922 1951 Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary name changed to Presentation Junior College and moved to Aberdeen, SD www.presentation.edu
Oglala Sioux Community College Kyle South Dakota 1971
Oglala Sioux Tribal Council grew out of Lakota Higher Education Center; renamed Oglala Sioux Community College in 1978; incorporated tribal language and began awarding baccalaureate degrees with name change to Oglala Lakota College in 1983 http://www.olc.edu/
Pierre University Pierre South Dakota 1883 1897 Presbyterian established as Presbyterian University of Southern Dakota, adopted name of Pierre University the same year in 1883; became Huron College in 1898 after move to Huron, SD Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Redfield College Redfield South Dakota
1932 Congregational Church Wilton German English College merged with Redfield College in 1904; German Institute of Chicago Theological Seminary moved and became Redfield College Seminary in 1916; in 1932 the then School of Theology moved to Yankton College http://www.ucc.org/aboutus/histories/chap5.htm
Si Tanka Huron Huron South Dakota 2001 2005 Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal College see entry for Huron College; Si Tanka in Eagle Butte continues to operate
University of South Dakota-Springfield Springfield  South Dakota 1881 1984 state supported established as Southern State Normal School, became Southern State Teachers College in 1947, Southern State College in 1964, and the University of South Dakota-Springfield in 1971 NCA web site
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes. 1978.
Wessington Springs College Wessington Springs South Dakota 1887 1964 Free Methodist Church founded as Wessington Springs Seminary; name changed to Wessington Springs Junior College in 1918 and to Wessington Springs College in 1932; college program closed in 1964 and the high school program in 1968; alumni records held by Central Christian College in McPherson, KS; campus buildings razed in 1970; http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Yankton College Yankton South Dakota 1871 1984 Congregational Church first institution of higher learning in the Dakotas; first accredited by NCA in 1921; Redfield College School of Theology moved to Yankton in 1932 and later became one component of United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities; Yankton Colleges continues to maintain an office, alumni association, and offer transcripts.  An Associate of Theology degree is available in cooperation with the South Dakota Conference of the United Church of Christ.  A web site is maintained at http://yanktoncollege.org. NDSU Institute for Reginional Studies web site
NCA web site
www.ucc.org/aboutus/histories/chap5.htm







hidden hit counter
last update:
10/29/2009