Home:: Colleges in Oklahoma that have closed, merged, or changed their names

Colleges in Oklahoma that have closed, merged, or changed their names

College Name City State Start Date End Date Affiliation Other Information Source
Altus College Altus Oklahoma

http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
American Christian College Tulsa Oklahoma 1971 1978
founded by Billy James Hargis; students looking for transcripts can contact Dr. David Noebel, www.summit.org  918-836-5501 Ringenberg, William C.  The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America. 1984.
Ardery College Guthrie Oklahoma 1901

Patterson gives location as Oklahoma City in 1914 directory http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914 and 1917
Bartlesville Wesleyan College Bartlesville Oklahoma 1959
Wesleyan Church founded in 1959 after merger of Colorado Springs Bible College, Pilgrim Bible College and Holiness Evangelistic Institute; initially named Central Pilgrim College; renamed Bartlesville Wesleyan College in 1968 following merger of Pilgrim Holiness Church and Wesleyan Methodist Church; merged with Miltonvale Wesleyan College in 1972; renamed Oklahoma Wesleyan University in 2001 http://okwu.edu/alumni/antecedents/antecedenthome.php
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Benedictine Heights College Tulsa Oklahoma 1955 1962 Benedictine Sisters
www.tulsaosb.org/alumni.htm
Schier and Russett.  Catholic Women's Colleges in America.  2002.
Benedictine Heights College/Catholic College of Oklahoma for Women Guthrie Oklahoma 1916 1955 Benedictine Sisters
www.tulsaosb.org/alumni.htm
Beulah Heights College Beulah Heights Oklahoma 1905 1909
transferred to Church of the Nazarene and relocated to Bethany as Oklahoma Holiness College www.snu.edu
Bookertee Agricultural and Mechanical College Bookertee Oklahoma 1919

founded by J.C. Leftwich, who dided in 1923 http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/C/CO026.html
Bristow Junior College Bristow Oklahoma 1928 1951 public founded by Bristow Public Schools while E. H. Black served as Superintendent; closed briefly during WW II from 1942-1946; over 800 students attended at some point "A Strong and Sturdy Vessel:  A History of Bristow Junior College" by Letha Caudle, in The Chronicles of Oklahoma, Vol. LXXXIII, Number 2, Summer, 2005, pp.  218-231.
http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Brown's Practical Business College Tulsa Oklahoma 1913

located at 510 South Main Street www.rootsweb.com/~arpolk/okbrown.htm
Cameron State School of Agriculture Lawton Oklahoma 1908
state supported name changed to Cameron State Agricultural College in 1927, to Cameron College in 1971, and to Cameron University in 1975 http://www.cameron.edu/
Capital City Business College Guthrie Oklahoma 1893

Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905, 1914, and 1917.
Capital City Junior College Oklahoma City Oklahoma

http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Carey College Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1911 1911

Central Christian College Bartlesville Oklahoma 1950 1959 Church of Christ predecessor to Oklahoma Christian College, Cordell, OK, and later,Oklahoma City, OK www2.oc.edu/vision/stories_autumn99/50th/50th.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Central State Normal School Edmond Oklahoma 1890
state supported founded as The Normal School of the Territory of Oklahoma; name changed to Central State Normal School in 1907, to Central State Teachers College in 1919, to Central State College in 1939, to Central State University in 1971, and to the University of Central Oklahoma in 1990 http://www.ucok.edu/about_uco.htm
Central Pilgrim College Bartlesville Oklahoma 1959
Wesleyan Church result of series of mergers which included Colorado Springs Bible College, Pilgrim Bible College, and Western Pilgrim College; the name Bartlesville Wesleyan College was adoped in 1968 after merger of Pilgrim Holiness Church and Wesleyan Church; in August 2001 became Oklahoma Wesleyan University http://okwu.edu/alumni/antecedents/antecedenthome.php
Claver College Guthrie Oklahoma 1931 1945 Catholic only African American Catholic college west of Mississippi River; www.tulsaosb.org/alumni.htm
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/C/CO026.html
Colored Agricultural and Normal University Langston Oklahoma 1897
state supported became Langston University in 1941 Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978
Conners State School of Agriculture Warner Oklahoma 1908
state supported now Conners State College
Cordell Christian College Cordell Oklahoma 1907 1931 Disciples of Christ
Young, M. Norvel. A History of Colleges Established and Controlled by Members of the Churches of Christ. 1949.
Hunt and Carper, eds. 
Religious Higher Education in the United States. 1996.
Cummins, D. Duane.
The Disciples Colleges: A History. 1987.
Creek-Seminole College Boley Oklahoma 1906

founded by J.C. Leftwich; after building burned in 1916, moved to Clearview and reopened as Creek-Seminole Agricultural College; Leftwich sold the institution to the Baptist Church in 1919; a year later, moved to Okmulgee and renamed Southwest Creek and Seminole Baptist College http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/C/CO026.html
Droughan Business College Muskogee Oklahoma b 1906 1965 proprietary 3rd St. & W. Okmulgee listed as address 1906 through 1915; address listed at the Sayre Bldg, (s.w. corner of 4th & Okmulgee) through 1925; in 1930 listed at 2nd floor Fite-Rowsey Bldg. (101-107 N.2nd & 208 1/2 W. Okmulgee) corner lot; in 1930 listed at 2nd & W. Okmulgee; then through 1965 listed at 305 W. Okmulgee  http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v029/v029p200.pdf
Muskogee City Directories
Droughan Business College Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1900
proprietary Grand and Harvey Streets listed as address in Patterson's 1914 and 1917 directories http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905, 1914, and 1917.
Droughan Business College Tahlequah Oklahoma
1913 proprietary acquired by Lee O. Brown and name changed to Brown Business College in 1912; moved to Tulsa the following year www.rootsweb.com/~arpolk/okbrown.htm
Durant Presbyterian College Durant Oklahoma 1846
Presbyterian founded as Calvin Institute; name change to Durant Presbyterian College in 1900; name later changed to Oklahoma Presbyterian College in 1910 www.austin.edu/Abell/Srvpoco/manscrpt.html
www.choctaw-web.com/schools.htm
East Central State Normal School Ada Oklahoma 1909
state supported name changed to East Central State Teachers College in 1919, to East Central State College in 1939, to East Central Oklahoma State University in 1974, and to East Central University in 1985 http://www.ecok.edu/
Eastern University Preparatory School Claremore Oklahoma 1909
state supported Eastern University Preparatory School closed in 1917;  restarted as the Oklahoma Military Academy (OMA) in 1919 and from 1923 to 1971 it offered secondary and collegiate education; In 1971, the name changed to Claremore Junior College and to Rogers State College in 1982; in 1996, Rogers State College and the University Center at Tulsa (UCAT) merged to form Rogers University, with campuses in Claremore and Tulsa; in 1998, Rogers State College became a member of the OU Board of Regents, and was renamed Rogers State University with permission to seek accreditation as a four year, bachelor degree granting university www.rsu.edu/about/history
El Meta Bond College Minco Oklahoma 1889

Thirtieth commencement program had inscription, "Founded at Silver City, Indian Territory, September 8th, 1899, closed-Minco, Okla., May 28, 1920"; Cummins has listed as El Neta Christian College with 1896 for date of founding Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v017/v017p184.html
El Reno College El Reno Oklahoma

http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Epworth College of Medicine Oklahoma City Oklahoma
1910
merged with University of Oklahoma School of Medicine http://www.ou.edu/provost/ir/Factbook_2002/02_1_04.htm
Epworth University Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1904 1919 Methodist Episcopal Church now Oklahoma City University; see also entry for Methodist University of Oklahoma www.rootsweb.com/~oklcgs/epworth.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905.
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/O/OK032.html
Flaming Rainbow University Stillwater Oklahoma
1992
first accredited by NCA in 1985
Flipper-Key-Davis University Tullahassee Oklahoma 1914 1935 African Methodist Episcopal 
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/J/JU005.html
Foster Business College Bartlesville Oklahoma 1910

Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914 and 1917.
Hargrove College Ardmore Oklahoma 1895

Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914.
Henry Kendall College Muskogee Oklahoma 1894

moved to Tulsa in 1907 and adopted name of University of Tulsa in 1920 Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Hill's Business College Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1905

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914 and 1917
Holy Family College Langston Oklahoma 1892

Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905, 1914, and 1917.
Indian University Muskogee Oklahoma 1880
Baptist begun at Cherokee Baptist Mission at Tahlequah; moved to Muskogee in 1885; renamed Bacone Indian University after its founder and first president, later changed to Bacone College www.bacone.edu
Indianola College Wynne Wood Oklahoma
Cumberland Presbyterian
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914 and 1917.
Kingfisher College Kingfisher Oklahoma 1895 1927 Congregational Church records transferred to University of Oklahoma; Davison has closure in 1922; http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&co=84
http://www.rootsweb.com/~okkingfi/kfp5.html
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
Lawton Business College Lawton Oklahoma 1902

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905, 1914, and 1917.
Methodist University of Oklahoma Guthrie Oklahoma 1911 1919 Methodist Episcopal Church Epworth College from 1910-1919; later Epworth University joined with Fort Worth University, TX to form Methodist University of Oklahoma in 1911 and was located for a time in old territorial capitol building in Guthrie; moved in 1919 becaming Oklahoma City College and later, Oklahoma City University in 1924 www.rootsweb.com/~oklcgs/epworth.html
www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/FF/kbf6.html
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/O/OK032.html
Midwest Christian College Oklahoma City Oklahoma
1985
consolidated with Ozark Bible College in Joplin, MO under the name Ozark Christian College www.occ.edu/aboutocc/history.htm
Monte Cassino Junior College Tulsa Oklahoma 1931 1945 Benedictine Sisters
www.tulsaosb.org/alumni.htm
Murray State School of Agriculture Tishomingo Oklahoma 1908
state supported now Murray State College
Northeastern School of Mines Miami Oklahoma 1919
state supported name changed to Northeastern Oklahoma Junior College in 1924 and to Northeastern Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College after 1939 http://www.neo.edu/
Northeastern State Normal School Tahlequah Oklahoma 1909
state supported established as Cherokee National Female Seminary in 1851; state assumed control in 1909; name changed to Northeastern State Teachers College in 1919, to Northeastern State College in 1939, to Northeastern Oklahoma State University in 1974, and to Northeastern State University in 1985 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_State_University
Northwestern Territorial Normal School Alva Oklahoma 1897
state supported name changed to Northwestern Normal School in 1904, to Northwestern State Normal School in 1907, to Northwestern State Teachers College in 1919, to Northwestern State College in 1939, and to Northwestern Oklahoma State University in 1974 http://www.nwosu.edu/pubrel/history.htm
Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College Stillwater Oklahoma 1890
state supported changed to Oklahoma State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences in 1957. Technical branches were established in Okmulgee
in 1946 and in Oklahoma City in 1961. In 1990 these two technical
branches were renamed OSU-Okmulgee and OSU-Oklahoma
City. OSU-Tulsa was formed from a consortium of universities that
were originally established in 1982. In July of 1988, the Oklahoma
College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery (in Tulsa) became the
College of Osteopathic Medicine of OSU. In 2001, it became part
of the OSU Center for Health Sciences which also has an affiliation
with its primary teaching hospital, the OSU Medical Center
http://www.okstate.edu/registrar/Catalogs/Catalog.html
Oklahoma Baptist College Blackwell Oklahoma 1889 1913 Baptist
http://catalog.okbu.edu/content.php?catoid=16&navoid=214
Oklahoma Baptist College for Girls Sapulpa Oklahoma
Baptist offered two-year teaching degrees http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/C/CO026.html
Oklahoma Christian College Cordell Oklahoma 1950

successor to Central Christian College, Bartlesville, OK; later Oklahoma Christian University, Oklahoma City Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories.  2003.
Oklahoma Christian University Enid Oklahoma 1907
Disciples of Christ later name changed to Phillips University in 1913; not to be confused with Oklahoma Christian University in Oklahoma City www.phillips.edu/puhist.htm
Hunt and Carper, eds.  Religious Higher Education in the United States.  1996.
Cummins, D. Duane. 
The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Oklahoma City Business College Oklahoma City Oklahoma

Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905.
Oklahoma City College Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1919
Methodist   the Methodist University of Oklahoma Board of Trustees voted to close the Guthrie campus and establish a new institution; on September 15, 1919, Oklahoma City College opened for classes at Twelfth and Walnut streets; in 1920 the university trustees purchased twenty-two acres of land for the new school at Northwest Twenty-third and Blackwelder streets; name change to Oklahoma City University in 1924;  http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/O/OK032.html
Oklahoma City College of Law Oklahoma City Oklahoma

opened in YMCA building on NW Second Street; purchased by Oklahoma City University in 1952; moved to OCU campus in 1956 http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=96583
Oklahoma City Southwestern College Bethany Oklahoma

the name changed to Southwestern College of Christian Ministries in 1981 and to Southwestern Christian University in 2001 www.swcu.edu
www.ncahlc.org
Oklahoma College for Women Chickasha Oklahoma 1908
state supported founded as Industrial Institute and College; became Oklahoma College for Women in 1916, Oklahoma College of Liberal Arts in 1965, and University of Sciences and Arts of Oklahoma in 1974 Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes.  1978.
Oklahoma College for Young Ladies Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1907

Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914 and 1917.
Oklahoma Holiness College Bethany Oklahoma 1909 1918
later Oklahoma Nazarene College in 1918; merged with Texas Holiness University in 1920 with name changed to Bethany-Peniel College; then other colleges merged Bethany-Central Holiness College in 1929, Arkansas Holiness College in 1931, and Bresee College in 1940.  In 1955 became Bethany Nazarene College, and now Southern Nazarene University.  SNU considers the founding date of Texas Holiness (1899) as it's own. http://snu.edu/?p={42F09E01-0937-423D-B1A9-18183A4B3A4A}
Songe, Alice H.  American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes. 1978.
Oklahoma Junior College Oklahoma City Oklahoma
1995
began in Tulsa as the Oklahoma School of Accountancy, Law and Finance in 1919.  In 1949 the college became known as the Oklahoma School of Business, Accounting, Law and Finance and, in 1952, was accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Private Business Schools. In November, 1982, the school was renamed Oklahoma Junior College of Business and Technology of Tulsa.  The Association of Independent Colleges and Schools granted junior college status to the institution in July, 1984, and the Oklahoma Board of Regents for Higher Education authorized associate degree granting authority in applied sciences. In January, 1985, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools' Commission on Institutions of Higher Education granted initial candidacy to the college.
In April, 1985, Oklahoma Junior College of Business and Technology of Tulsa opened a branch campus in Oklahoma City, and it was known as Oklahoma Junior College of Business and Technology of Oklahoma City.   In 1989, the Oklahoma City campus was officially designated Oklahoma Junior College.  The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) granted full branch accreditation to the Oklahoma City campus in April 1986. In April 1987, the Oklahoma City campus established itself as independent of the Tulsa campus.  The Oklahoma Regents of Higher Education approved the college for the granting of the Associate of Applied Science Degree in June of 1987.  In August 1989, the ACICS granted free-standing status to the college. 
The Tulsa school closed in January 1993 and the Oklahoma City school closed in October 1995.
first accredited by Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools in 1985
http://admissions.ou.edu/oklajrcollege.html
Oklahoma Methodist College Muskogee Oklahoma 1912
Methodist Episcopal Church Patterson's gives name of Oklahoma Woman's College in 1917 directory Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914 and 1917.
Oklahoma Presbyterian College for Girls Durant Oklahoma 1896
Presbyterian founded as Calvin Institute; name change to Durant Presbyterian College in 1900; name change to Oklahoma Presbyterian College in 1910 www.austin.edu/Abell/Srvpoco/manscrpt.html
www.choctaw-web.com/schools.htm
Oklahoma School of Mines and Metallurgy Wilburton Oklahoma 1908
state supported now Eastern Oklahoma State College
Oklahoma Wesleyan College Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1903
Methodist Episcopal Church
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914 and 1917.
Okmulgee Junior College Okmulgee Oklahoma

http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=5&l2=22&l3=39&top=10
Panhandle State School of Agriculture Goodwell Oklahoma 1909
state supported name change to Panhandle Agricultural & Mechanical College in 1921, to Oklahoma Panhandle State College of Agricultural & Applied Sciences in 1967, and to Oklahoma Panhandle State University in 1974
Phillips University Enid Oklahoma 1907 1998 Disciples of Christ first accredited by NCA in 1919; first named Oklahoma Christian University, changed to Phillips in 1913. NCA web site; November 15, 1989, June 21, 1996, April 10, 1998,
August 14, 1998 Chronicle of Higher Education;
www.phillips.edu; www.puafa.org
Sacred Heart College Sacred Heart Mission Oklahoma 1883

relocated to Shawnee, OK and renamed Saint Gregory College in 1916 www.sgc.edu
Brenner, Morgan G.  The Encyclopedia of College & University Name Histories. 2003.
St. Agnes College Ardmore Oklahoma

Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914.
Sango Baptist College Muskogee Oklahoma
1908 Baptist J.C. Leftwich became president in 1904; Rev. P.R. Neil accepted the presidency in 1905 http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/C/CO026.html
Sayre Junior College Sayre Oklahoma 1938

founded under legislative authorization which permitted public high schools to add a 13th and 14th year of study to their curricula. In 1940, the college name was changed to Oklahoma Western Junior College; however, the orginal name was soon adopted again, and in May 1940 the first degree were conferred; closed during the WWII, but reopened in 1946. In 1956, Sayre Junior College moved from facilities occupied jointly with Sayre High School into separate facilities; in July 1987 by act of the Oklahoma legislature, Sayre Junior College was merged with Southwestern Oklahoma State University http://www.swosu.edu/sayre/history.htm
Selvidge Business College Ardmore Oklahoma 1904

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
Southeastern Normal School Durant Oklahoma 1909
state supported name changed to Southeastern Teachers College in 1920, to Southeastern State College in 1939, to Southeastern Oklahoma State University in 1974 http://www.sosu.edu/
Southwest Baptist College Hastings Oklahoma 1903

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1914.
Southwest Baptist College Mangum Oklahoma
1914

Southwestern Bible College Oklahoma City Oklahoma 1946
International Pentacostal Holiness Church name change in 1981 to Southwestern College of Christian Ministries, Bethany, OK; changed to Southwestern Christian University in 2001 www.sccm.edu/college/history.html
Southwestern Normal School Weatherford Oklahoma 1901
state supported name changed to Southwestern State Teachers College in 1920, to Southwestern State College of Diversified Occupations in 1939, to Southwestern Institute of Technology in 1941, to Southwestern State College in 1949, and to Southwestern Oklahoma State University in 1974 http://www.swosu.edu/administration/president/history.asp
Standard Correspondence Bible College Enid Oklahoma 1907

Cummins, D. Duane.  The Disciples Colleges: A History.  1987.
Tulsa Business College Tulsa Oklahoma 1903

Tulsa Business College Steno's won the first of 3 consecutive US AAU national championships in the 1930's http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v028/v028p063.pdf
http://womensbasketballonline.com/history/timeline.pdf
Western Baptist College Mangum Oklahoma 1903
Baptist
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1917







hit counter html code
last update:
3/6/2009